Part 3

Candy Shop Romance

 

 

“So…how was today?” Henry asked as he propped his head up on Donghae’s flat stomach. They lounged on the floor of the Lee family’s third floor loft in their house. There was one sea blue door on the left leading to Donghae’s main bedroom – though he often slept out on the loft since no one else shared the top floor with him. On the right were two doors, one being a linen closet, and the other being the bathroom.

Henry kicked his feet, chewing on a Peppero and eyeing the older boy curiously.

“It was a little boring,” Donghae responded, looking up at the ceiling, hands tucked behind his head to act like a cushion. He crossed his ankles, shifting around to adjust to Henry’s faint weight on his abdomen. “Tomorrow the clubs and sports teams are going to have orientations…so that’s pretty cool. I’m super psyched for soccer try-outs.”

“Why? You know you’re gonna make it no matter what,” Henry mumbled between chews. He popped another one into his mouth, pushing one at Donghae as well.

The high school boy bit off the chocolate tip, thoughtfully eating. “You sure I’m not gonna fall flat on my face?”

“You might,” Henry snickered, “but they’d probably think you’re clumsy and dopey, which wouldn’t be so wrong.”

Donghae glared playfully down. “Hey, watch it, Munchkin. You’re still a guest in my house.”

“I’m here so often I don’t think you can still call me a guest,” he rolled his eyes, flashing a cute grin that was all smooth white cheeks and scrunched up eyes. “Isn’t that right, my fish-brained hyung?”

“Yah!” he laughed, pushed Henry off of him, “This attitude of yours is getting out of hand.” Donghae rolled on top of him, trapping him there. “What do you have to say for yourself, kid?”

Henry stared up at him and then reached forward, taking the opposite end of the Peppero in the handsome boy’s mouth and breaking it off.

“I’m so adorable that anything can be forgiven?” he offered, cocking his head to one side as he swallowed the broken piece of the snack.

“Yeah…I guess that’s true,” Donghae submitted, pinching one of the chubby cheeks. He smirked at Henry’s squirming and then dropped his entire weight on the smaller boy. “This is comfortable,” Donghae nodded.

“Ugh…,” Henry gasped, “get off me, you humongous blob!” He pushed at the older one’s shoulders, trying not to laugh.

“Nah, I don’t think I will,” he shook his head, “It’s super nice right here.”

“Stop…I think I’m gonna barf,” he started fighting violently and Donghae chuckled, pushing himself up and pulling Henry half on top of him.

“You’re so spoiled,” Donghae scoffed, the boy’s hair gently.

“Only because you love to spoil me,” he responded cheekily, rubbing his head into the hand running through his messy locks.  

“Are you hanging out with Kyuhyun more?” he mused. “You sound more and more snarky every day.”

“Yeah…,” Henry admitted, playing with the buttons on Donghae’s school uniform, “he’s really cool and popular, plus we’ve known each other since we were younger so it just makes sense.”

“Well don’t become too much like him, or else you’re not gonna be cute anymore,” he teased.

“Even if the rest of the world doesn’t find me cute anymore, you’re always going to,” he assured.

Donghae smiled, wrapping an arm around the slender figure’s waist. He pulled a thin blanket from the edge of the couch and threw it over them. As much as best friends would make the worst lovers, he couldn’t deny how cute Henry had always been to him. If Eunhyuk ever knew the extent to which Donghae fanboyed over the younger boy, he would never let him live it down.

“Sleepy?” Henry mumbled, snuggling closer to his oldest friend.

Donghae yawned and nodded, turning onto his side, keeping the other person close. “…how did you day go?”

“Middle school isn’t really scary,” he shrugged.

“How can you be so cool for someone so small?” Donghae smirked lazily, resting his forehead against the other boy.

Henry frowned, pulling up so their faces were nearly touching, breath mingling. “Excuse me, Nemo, I prefer to be called fun-sized.”

“Whatever you want, Hamtaro,” Donghae mumbled, eyes drifting shut.

He gazed at the older boy, wanting to strangle him and hug him at the same time. Henry settled on a sigh, fingers curling tighter into the fabric of his shirt. Closing his eyes as well, he got comfortable and the world went dark.

 

***

 

“What’re you kids doing?”

Donghae rubbed his eyes, groaning and absently hugging Henry tighter as he tried to ignore the sound of his father. Mr. Lee wasn’t having it though. Walking over, he knelt down, rolling the blanket down a bit, finding Henry’s head tucked against Donghae’s chest, arms curled up in loose fists.

“You two never change,” Mr. Lee snorted, ruffling the smaller one’s hair.

“What?” Donghae mumbled groggily, blinking up at his father.

“You’ve always fawned over him like some sort of mother to its child,” he chuckled at his son, “it’s time to send Henry home though. It’s getting close to eleven already and he has school tomorrow.”

“It’s that late already?” Donghae frowned, “No way…” He shook himself out of the daze, clearing his throat and sitting Henry up.

The latter slumped against Donghae’s frame, still sleeping.

“Get up, Chubberz,” he grunted, smoothing Henry’s hair absently.

“No…,” the boy mumbled, wrapping his arms fully around Donghae, pressing himself closer, legs tangling with the older boy’s underneath the blanket.

Mr. Lee raised a bemused eyebrow. His son flopped back down, grinning and chuckling. “It’s like a leech. I can’t get rid of it.”

“Shut up,” Henry muttered without opening his mouth, eyes still stubbornly shut, “stupid Haefish….”

“Get up, octo-arms,” Donghae struggled to push the boy away, laughing when Henry continued flailing to cling onto him. Eventually, he got the younger male to let go and then Donghae was sitting up, pushing the blanket aside.

“Don’t you two have homework?” Mr. Lee prompted.

Henry scratched his head, eyes half open. “I’m in seventh grade, appa-ah. Be worried about, Fishy-hyung. He’s not very bright.”

Donghae smacked the boy in the arm, earning a light laugh. “Yah, are you going to let me talk to me like that?” he looked up at his father hopefully.

“I learned a long time ago that getting involved in quarrels between you two is useless,” he snorted, turning and heading back down the stairs. “Head home soon, Henry!”

The two boys exchanged a look and then Henry got to his feet, grabbing his school bag. “I don’t wanna get on your appa’s bad side. He’s really scary when he’s strict.”

“Agreed,” Donghae leaned back, cracking his neck lazily, “Tell me how you do in the orchestra ranking exam.”

“I will,” Henry flashed him a smile before waving and descending the steps.