Blessing or Lesson

Lost and Found

 

“The subscriber cannot be reached. Please try again later”

Himchan had been hearing those words for the entire day or maybe ever since his best friend happened to join a local band. ”What the hell is he up to? I’ve been calling him for like 50 times and yet he’s ----”

Riiiiiiiiiiiiing~

His phone suddenly rung in the middle of his ranting session. “Yongguk! Thank god you ----” “Hey! We’re having a live performance today. I told you before, right? So better stop calling me and just wait for me to get home. Clear?” before Himchan could response, the boy on the other line hunged up. He was shocked; it’s the first time his best friend spoke to him in an angry tone. “Damn!” he grabbed his desk calendar and checked the list of Yongguk’s schedule. ”Today? live performance? But it’s not even registered here! Was he joking me or what?!” He was about to call the boy again when we recalled the words that his best friend told him, so he decided to just watch the television and wait if the band will perform or not. After several minutes of waiting, the show started. The band performed as that day’s front act. Fortunately, the audience loved their performance. Himchan lively sang and danced as if he’s a part of the crowd. His heart skipped a beat when Yongguk’s face was focused. He’s emotions were really mixed. He’s happy for his best friend, but on the other side, there’s pain, agony, because of longing for his best friend, his crush, the man that taught him how to love. He remembered their promise that they will never EVER leave each other no matter what, but their current situation shows the opposite. Himchan never imagined that this would happen. He held on those words for almost 8 years. Yongguk was Himchan’s childhood friend. And when Yongguk was given a chance to join a band in Seoul, his pal insisted that he should grab the opportunity. The older boy agreed and without any hesitations, Himchan tagged along with him. For better and for worst, they never left each other, until the band’s debut became near. Yongguk’s schedule became hectic and he seems to enjoy his bandmates’ company. At that time, everything changed. 

 

That night.. ding dong~~. Himchan opened the door. “Yonggie!”I’m glad you’re back! I prepared your favourite dish and look, I brought mango tarts too! And by the way, you were absolutely stunning on T.V. You and you’re band did great during the show! I swear!”. Yongguk walked in, not even listening to his friend.  He didn’t even understand a single word. His ears were too stressed to listen and his brain was too tired to function. All he know is just he’s tired as . “Can you just shut the hell up for a while?” Yongguk shouted. Himchan’s eyes widen, he was surprised, for the 2nd time that day, his best friend shouted at him.

“I’m just trying to comfort you.” Himchan answered.

“I’m tired and I’m just here to get some clothes.” He yelled as he walked towards his room. Himchan followed him.

“But I prepared ----”

“Did I told you to? I never asked you to cook and buy stuffs that I didn’t need!”

Himchan’s heart was stabbed by a million knives. He wanted to slap the guy before him but he can do is cry. ”You’ve changed. You’re not my best friend anymore. You never took care of me. You never appreciate my efforts for you. You never thought of me even once! It isn’t fair! You were running through my mind each second of each and every ing day! I went here with you ‘cause you’re my b-best friend! I left my family because of you! I wasn’t able to finish my schooling because of you! God damn it Yongguk! ” Himchan’s voice echoed inside the room, at that moment he hated Yongguk for being so naïve and hated himself as well.

“Then go back! I don’t need you here! Yes, you were my best friend several years ago. To be honest, I found my new friends! I can live without you. And yes, I’m much better without you!” Yongguk answered while stacking his clothes inside his bag. Himchan’s heart is already torn out and shattered. Those painful words kept him silent for a couple of seconds. “If that’s what you want…then fine.” He said as his ex-best friend or better be addressed as a stranger left the apartment without any words of farewell.“I loved you. I loved you Yongguk. ” he whispered between his tears. He gathered his things and glanced at their apartment for the last time. The place that gave him lots of bittersweet memories.

 

Next morning, Himchan left the apartment. He grabbed his things and get going. It’s getting late in the afternoon and still, there’s no visible place that he can stay for the night. He passed by a Sauna house. Sauna isn’t a good idea. The employees knew about him and Yongguk. He doesn’t want to be asked about the guy that broke his heart several hours ago. After hours of continuous walking, he reached a local park. Luckily, he saw an empty bench; he placed his bag at the bench as he start to massage his shoulders lightly to ease the ache that the heavy bag gave him. He hoped that the pain in his heart can also be relieved sooner or later. His eyes were searching for something he didn’t even know. There’s something that he’s looking for. That’s it; he saw a bunch of couple having a good time few meters away from his location. Then a guy from nowhere suddenly appeared beside him. He’s a tall guy, approximately around 17-18 years of age. And to be honest, he’s handsome. Half of his face was covered with a blue scarf. He’s Zelo and he’s known for being the youngest champion on some rap battles. Himchan scanned the guy’s appearance. He earned a suspicious look from the younger guy. Zelo sat beside him, rested his head on Himchan’s shoulder, pulled out a pointed object from his pocket and carefully, he pointed in onto Himchan’s side.

‘Give me your wallet and your phone.” Zelo whispered. Himchan didn’t even bother to look at the guy beside him. His eyes were still focused at the couples on the park.

“I said give me your phone and wallet or else ----”

“It’s inside the bag. Get it.” Himchan smirked. Zelo blinked his eyes in disbelief. It’s his first time to have an encounter with this kind of person.Someone who’s not even scared and threatened.

”You can take all that I have.” His tears started to roll down from his eyes. He’s crying, not because he’s afraid, but because he realized that Yongguk was the only one who’s important to him. The only person that he can’t afford to lose. He value Yongguk’s existence.

 

Zelo took his bag, still feeling awkward. He didn’t expect that the guy would be that easy.

”Don’t you dare report this to the police or I ---”

“You can kill me now if you want to.” Himchan cut him off for the 2nd time. And his eyes were still looking at the smiles of the happy pairs in front of them. The younger guy was shocked. Maybe this guy has a problem that’s bigger that his voice, he thought. He wanted to talk to Himchan but he remembered that when he’s doing this kind of profession, you can’t trust anyone. He immediately grabbed Himchan’s backpack, slowly stood up and walked like nothing happened. Himchan was aware of everything that happened. He’s aware that his things were taken by that bastard teen.

After hour of sobbing, he realized that it was already late at night and yet, he’s not sure where exactly he is. He touched this pocket and pulled out few coins. He saw a convenience store and bought a cold beer. From the store, he continued to explore the place. It was dark. The street lights were busted. His vision became blurry due to his tears that seem to be bottomless. All he can think about is why, why the did Yongguk allowed him to leave. He kept walking until he reached a chapel. I hope I can stay here just for tonight, he thought. He entered the chapel and he didn’t know what made him do it, but for the first time after 3 years, he prayed.

 “Was this the consequence of leaving my family and dreams for your own happiness and for other’s dreams? I don’t know what to do! I don’t know where and how to start again. Am I destined to be a loser? Maybe I am. I think this is my fate and besides, this is my fault. I allowed myself to fall for that dickhead! This strong affection turned me into something that I'm not. What should I do?! ”

 After delivering his so-called prayer, he walked out of the chapel. Before leaving, he saw a guy praying at the last row. The guy looked back. Himchan kept on walking, having no idea where the streets are to. He reached a street that he and Yongguk used to hang out a couple of years ago. He sat on the floor and cried his heart out as he took the last gulp of his beer. Suddenly, someone tossed his bag beside him. He looked at his left and saw the guy that he saw inside the chapel earlier. “Where the hell did you got this?” The taller guy looked confused.

“Y y-you don’t know me?”

“Ah! You’re the guy inside the chapel, right?”

“Yeah, but I’m the ----”

“Don’t tell me you’re the robber at the park?!” Himchan answered as he rubbed his eyes. He looked closely at Zelo’s face, now free with the blue scarf that was covering half of his face previous hours ago. “…yeah, that’s me.” Zelo confirmed in a low voice. He sat beside Himchan and managed to say something. “I heard everything. Your voice was too loud! It’s a chapel; you’re disturbing other’s personal moment.” Himchan smirked “Wow! Robbers do pray to?! Wow. Just wow.” then both of the chuckled. Zelo find it attractive how Himchan’s cherry-red face suddenly liven up a bit.“It’s time to let go, Himchan.” He said in a serious tone. Himchan looked at him as tears start to form again. “I don’t think I can.” The drunk guy responded, already intoxicated by the alcohol.

“Falling in love with someone like him was like entering an infinite maze; you’ll never find a way out. You’ll never find a way to stop. You need to keep going, even if your legs are about explode in extreme ache. Same with love, you have to hold on even if your heart is already torn out and shattered. He’s everything I have. ”

“Idiot! You still have your family that’s waiting for you to come back! Your friends!” Himchan shook his head as a sign of disagreement. “I left the because of Yongguk. I lost them beacause of Yongguk! I feel so stupid right now. Damn!” He felt so heavy that he can burst anytime. Zelo wrapped his arms around the older guy’s shoulders. “It’s time to start living! Living your life with the people who care for you.Life is too short, spend every second wisely. It’s never too late to begin again. Life goes on. Breathe!” Himchan looked at the guy beside him, amazed how was able to spit those words. “How can a law abider talk like a life counsellor?” Zelo smiled.

“You deserve someone who listens to you. Someone who’s proud to have you. Someone who will love you for who you are.” He hugged the older guy and allowed him to cry on his broad shoulders. He felt sad for his new friend. “You’re right! Yongguk and I met for a reason, it’s either a lesson or a blessing and perhaps, it’s a lesson.” He answered as he run his hands on Zelo’s back.

“I have to go!” Zelo said as he pulled away from Himchan’s hug. “Stop crying,ok? That won’t do any good.” He run his thumb across Himchan’s flushed cheeks. The drunk guy held his hand and smiled.

“Thank you.”

“No worries.” Zelo stood up and walked few steps away when Himchan shouted; “Hey! What’s your name?” The guy didn’t look back. “Zelo” he answered and continued walking. Himchan was thankful that he met someone like Zelo. After a few seconds, he fell asleep on that spot due to his dizzyness. His eyes were also tired.

Next morning, he woke up laying on a soft bed. This place wasn’t familiar to him. He stood up and looked around the room. “Where the hell am I?!” He whispered to himself. He roamed the apartment then he saw a sticky note attached beside a plate of toasted bread and a cup of coffee.

 

“Do you know that it’s illegal to sleep at the streets? Eat your breakfast. Feel at home,ok? Wait for me to get home. We’ll talk later. :)

-Handsome robber :) ”

 

Himchan smiled. He remembered the thing that he said last night, about the blessing and the lesson thingy and no wonder,Zelo is a blessing. He lost Yongguk; nevertheless he found Zelo.