Should I Continue This Story?

What If

 

 

Sometimes, you ever wondered if you were in a reality or it was all just a dream. There are ones where you just never want to end and ones you just wish you can wake up from. How about where you are scared that something is too good to be true and might not be reality?

It was on a fine autumn day that Kai promised to hang out with me. Lights clouds scatter the sky as the sun was starting to call it a day. He arranged for us to meet in a quiet countryside, far from the busy city. I arrived at the designated place early and needed some space to clear my mind before I was ready to meet him. The singing birds and the sound of leaves high above in the tree swaying with the wind helped calm and soothe me.

            It didn't take long until Kai peered down looking at me as I was laying in the large field of grass looking into the sky. "Oh, you came." I didn’t contain my happiness as I have not seen him in a while. He shot me his brilliant smile. Joining my side and took my hand in his, Kai’s free hand caressed my hair while I dug my nose deep into his shirt, taking in his scent. Hmm, the smell of old spice that use to love in my home. Soon, we started to talk about everything. From me to him. From black to white. From mother earth to father sky. From religion to politics. From heaven to hell.  From strangers to lovers. Our conversations are endless. Just listening to his voice brings a smile to my face.

            Altogether, we enjoyed the presence of each other. We then welcomed silence by our side and looked up into the sky occasionally, seeing planes and birds pass our sight. Once in a while, we would steal peeks of each other and then get caught only to laugh out loud. As time passed and the day fells, the night welcomed us with light breeze. Feeling a bit chilly, he wrapped his arm around me chasing out the cold. If I had a choice, I would have chosen to stop time at that moment.

            It couldn't get any better until my stomach started to growl. 'What great timing,' I thought. He left to bring something for us to eat. After taking too long, the uneasiness quickly filled in. What is taking him so long? Did something go wrong? After a few more minutes a shadow appeared. "Kai?" However, no answer came from the silhouette. Fear was ready to creep in until Kai’s face became visible. I let out a sigh of relief. I starting questioning him what is the matter. He muttered some words but I couldn’t make out anything.

“Kai,’ He looked up, his face not betraying any emotions, ‘I can’t understand what you are saying.” Kai stopped at an arm length from me and said the words I never wanted to hear. “I have to go. Sorry.” I stood there stunned. This is can’t be real. We were just together, so happy, as if we can conquer the world. “You are right. This is not real. This is all a dream,” Kai answered my thought. The once beautiful weather suddenly felt so cold and lonely. I screamed, “No! This is not dream. You do like me. You are here with me, are you not? What we had was real.” Kai only gave a sympathetic look before said a goodbye and turned around, leaving me.   

 Chasing after Kai didn’t go far before the sound of television from afar caught my attention. My eyes snapped open and I looked around to find myself in my own room, own bed. On the corner, my TV was on, airing Kai holding a concert in Madison Square Garden today, dozens of reporters surrounding him. Then, the image of Kai and I together came back to me. It was all just a dream. That thought just made me want to hide under the sheets and not start the day at all.

            Unfortunately, life is not always about what I want. After getting out of bed, started my morning routine and just about to make myself some breakfast, I opened my fridge and saw that I ran out of eggs. Great, just on the day, I was craving some omelet. I need to bring my unwilling self out of the apartment and buy some. Emerging myself onto Main Street of Flushing, I went to the closest supermarket, bought two dozens of eggs and left. On the way back, a stand that sells skewers caught my attention. I guess I can treat myself to some mouth watering food and ordered ten skewers, five beef and five lambs, all spicy.

            ‘My day won’t be so bad after all’ I thought as I was devouring the skewers. The nice weather only made it better. I wasn’t paying much attention where I was walking until someone in front slammed into me with brute force. I momentarily lost balance but the person that ran into me held me still and murmured an apology before running away again. I stood there dumb folded looking at the figure until I heard girls screaming and running my way. ‘That was Kai, was that not?’

            Was that just a dream or a reality? Did I want that to be a dream or reality? I wanted to meet him, but was that the way I wanted to? I, myself don’t even know as I feel my head, becoming numb. Walking back to my apartment, I don’t think I want to make my omelet anymore.

 


 A/N: Hello Everyone. This is it. I had this a while ago and never fully wrote it out until my professor had my class write a narrative essay and I decided to use this. So because of that, I finally manage to complete it and I decided to share with everyone. I like this short story but my professor thought that this essay didn't really have a purpose or idea I am trying to convey. So I am thinking, should I continue on to make more sense of this idea? You girls(and maybe guys) tell me.  Anyways, this Kai guy isn't the Kai you all know, but it is my Kai that I have a crush on in my university. They both have same name. XD Good Day!!