grand plans

Simple and Direct

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry"

Junghwan had always been a er for a bit of drama (ie it wasn't just a big fish it was a whale, it wasn't a scratch it was a life-threatening injury), that was no big secret. He liked to do things big, something that came across as a bit show-offy to some - but if he can hold a high note for that long why shouldn't he? So, like everything else in his life he'd assumed that his first confession (others confessing to him didn't count) was going to be some big production complete with rose petals and a fancy dinner. In fact he had every intention of following through with that plan. He even had the exact color of the rose petals he wanted to use picked out (white of course).

He should've guessed the real thing would be much different. It was rushed and shy and he stuttered, all of this was made worse by the tomato red blush that took over his pale skin. He played with the hem of his sweatshirt and refused to look Sunwoo in the eye. And then he promptly retreated to his own dorm room, where his roommate Jinyoung proceeded to laugh until he cried at Junghwan's awkward confession (although that was not exactly the right word for the thing that had just happened). It was messy and it was all wrong and it definitely wasn't what Junghwan had been planning.

So to say the very least he was suprised - more like shellshocked, his jaw had practically dislocated - when Sunwoo caught him in transit to an afternoon class. "You didn't wait around to hear my reply." Sunwoo said with a slight smile - too endearing, too cute, too much - it was probably that smile that had induced Junghwan into a pre-confession. That's what he had mentally labelled the disaster, anyway, Jinyoung had laughed at him again and just said that not everything had to be perfect. 

"Oh I - can you do me a favor and just pretend you didn't hear that?" Junghwan asked hopefully. "I want a do-over and that wasn't - I didn't mean to say it that way."

"A 'do-over'." Sunwoo lifted an eyebrow at Junghwan his smile growing a little wider. "And what would you do differently if I gave you a second chance."

It was the 'if' part that nearly killed Junghwan. Was his pre-confession really that bad? Was Sunwoo going to just go away now and never talk to him again? No worse, he was going to spread Junghwan's humiliation throughout the school and soon he was going to be teased and laughed at by everyone (not just Jinyoung and Chansik). "Uhm, well. I thought maybe...like leave a set of notes or something and lead you some place else with a nice dinner and - "

"What if one of the notes fell? Or what if the wrong person found them and followed them?" The questions shocked Junghwan. That's not how it had gone in his head. The sticky notes had stayed up and Sunwoo had faithfully followed them. "What if the food was cold or I got lost?"

"That wouldn't happen." Junghwan said stubbornly, aware that he was very much pouting at Sunwoo by now. But Sunwoo was stomping all over his fantasy so he was justified. Completely and totally.

"You know, life doesn't give you do-overs just because you ask nicely and pout cutely at it. Besides, I think your first confession was perfect." Sunwoo said, softly.

"Well you're not - " Junghwan totally lost track of the thought when the rest of what Sunwoo said slipped through the angry haze in his brain. The words "pout cutely" and "perfect" made his jaw drop slightly. "Wait." He had to be sure that his poor brain had actually heard Sunwoo's implication and translated it correctly. "Does-"

"Like I said, you didn't wait for my answer." And Sunwoo grinned, a totally self-satisfied expression that said he had Junghwan exactly where he wanted him. "You know it's generally accepted that you don't run away after asking someone if they would go out on a date with you. You only run away after they've said no and or embarrassed you. You skipped a few steps."

Junghwan glared at Sunwoo. What had he seen in this stupid kid anyway? The relentless teasing was getting old really fast and Junghwan did not appreciate being made fun of. Except he knew that it was a friendly sort of teasing and not malicious at all. And part of him sort of wanted to dish it right back to him. But his brain wasn't really working very well because of said teasing so all Junghwan could do was sulk and pout until Sunwoo finally answered his question from yesterday. "Well?" He said after several impatient hours (seconds actually but it felt like hours).

"Well what?" Sunwoo said that self-satisfied eating grin still securely in place.

"I'm waiting for your answer."

Another few seconds crawled by at a ridiculously slow pace. "I don't want a date with you." He said, but before Junghwan could freak out he said. "I'd like multiple dates. You know...like a boyfriend."

Junghwan was going to kill him. He was going to kill him and bury him in a nameless grave. All that waiting just for that! But he couldn't help the smile that spread across his face, he was still mad at Sunwoo (he was forever mad at Sunwoo for being so disgustingly perfect) but he'd said yes. "Can we drop the 'like a boyfriend' part?" Maybe it was a bit childish to play the same trick on Sunwoo but it was delightful to see the confusion on his face. "Because I think just boyfriend with no like attached is better."

Their first kiss was a mirror of Junghwan's confession. Baro leaned too far forward and their noses knocked hard against each other and they were both aware that they had to get moving to their next class and couldn't spend all day trying to perfect their techniques. But somehow Junghwan was okay with it being not so perfect.