The Emperor finds his Queen

The Emperor finds his Queen

Put your hands up.. Put your hands up..

I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing loudly just beside my ear. The Hell?!
I grumbled against the sheets and snatched the phone, quickly ending it and went back to resume my slumber.

 

Put your hands up.. Put your hands up..

 

My eyes opened wide in annoyance. I quickly took my mobile and answered the call immediately.

 

“Yoboseyo?” I groggily said.

“Hey Junho!” It’s Joonyoung on the line.

“What?! Did you know that you just woke me up?!” Irritation evident in my voice.

“Well, does it look like I care?” He chuckled. “Anyway, today’s the day and everything is set.” I quickly sat up upon hearing the statement, excitement and nervousness filling my blood streams.

“Jinjja? You got everything ready?”

“Yup. It’s all here. Where do we meet up?”

“In the park. Let’s set it up from there.”

“Arasseo. Now get your moving!”

“Yes, Sir!” I said jokingly and ended the call.

 

A wide grin kissed my lips as I stood up from my bed and quickly took my towel from my computer chair. Upon entering my bathroom, I swiftly peeled the clothes off my body and took a quick shower. Today is going to be a long day and I’m just praying that everything would turn out as planned.

 

As I got dressed with my school uniform, I took my bag, sprinted down stairs and snatched my car keys out of the key bowl. Excitedly, I ran towards the door when my mom stopped me from my tracks.

 

“And where do you think you’re going, Young Man?”

“To school?” I looked at her, my eyes filled with curiosity.

“Not until you have your breakfast.” She shook her head and pointed a finger towards the kitchen, making me look back and sigh.

 

At the table, mom and I were sitting across from each other. I was thankful that she stopped me for she prepared my favorite breakfast. Waffles with strawberry and cream, together with French toast, bacon and a cheese omelet. The best mom ever.

 

“Good Morning, Family.” Dad came down already dressed for the day.

“Kibum, Sweetie.” Mom said as she kissed dad on the cheek after taking a seat on his place at the table.

“Boa, My love.” Dad took mom’s hand and kissed it lovingly, making me cringe at the sight.

“Can you both not do that in front of me?” My parents laughed as I said those words in dismay and continued with my breakfast.

“Where’s Wooyoung?” Dad asked as he looked around the table.

“He’s already at work. You just missed him. IU was here earlier and they went together.”

“That’s good. But shouldn't it be the boy picking up the girl?” Dad shook his head as he started to read the morning paper and drink his coffee.

 

Taking the napkin at the side of my plate, I wiped my mouth hurriedly and stood up from the table, making both my parents look up at me.

 

“You seem to be in a rush, Junho. Have any plans for today?”

“Gayoon.” I grinned widely and kissed both my parents on the cheek before rushing out of the house.

 

I got in my car and inserted the key into the ignition, making it roar into life. I pressed the red button just below my steering wheel and the hood quickly folded, exposing me into the open. My game face was on as I held onto the wheel. And just before I could leave the garage, Ahreum stood in front of my vehicle and smiled her wicked smile. What now?

 

“Hi, Junho.”

“Whoah!” I looked out to my left and saw her standing beside me. “How’d you get here so fast?” She gave out an annoying giggle and bent down, resting her arms against the window sill.

“I have my ways. Where are you going, Big Boy?”

“It’s really none of your business, Ahreum.” I sighed in exasperation.

“Being secretive huh?” She was being playful. Slowly, she ran a finger down my cheek, making me look at her in annoyance.

“I have to go.”

“Not so fast.” She grabbed my uniform and pulled it, making me look at her. Our faces were centimeters apart. “Don’t you want to take me home?” She was close. Her lips were moving closer to mine, making me feel her hot breath kiss my skin. “I’m alone there.” She smiled wickedly and leaned forward, attempting to kiss me. But before our lips could even crash against each other, I placed my hand over her face, pushing her gently away from me.

“What?! Why’d you do that?!” She was pissed. I didn’t answer her question. Instead, I stepped on the gas and drove out of the garage and into the open road, leaving a dumbfounded Ahreum standing in the middle of our garage. I’ve lost much time already and I have to be quick. I took a turn and stepped on the gas once more, making the murcielago roar and speed into the streets of Seoul.

 

 

 

I saw Joonyoung seated in one of the park benches, waiting for me while fumbling with his cell phone. I parked the car just in front of him and smirked, turning off the ignition, getting out of the vessel and walked towards him. He grinned and stood up, giving me a high five.

“So this is it?” I looked at the guitar case that was lying on the grass and picked up the blue bouquet of roses, bringing it close to my nose and taking in its scent.

“Yup. Everything you requested, Dude.”

“Perfect.” I chuckled and paused as I heard my phone ring once again. It was Gayoon. I gulped as I felt cold sweat roll down my forehead. She always does this. Just the sight of her name makes me shiver and squeezy in the stomach. I answered her call.

“Junho?”

“G-Gayoon-ah..” I was nervous.

“Where are you, Junho? Assembly is about to start and the class presidents need to be back stage right now.”

“Ah! Jinjja?!” I suddenly panicked and signaled Joonyoung to bring the stuff in the car. “W-We’re on our way, Gayoon. Don’t worry.” I hopped in the vehicle and inserted the key into the ignition as soon as Joonyoung sat on the passenger’s seat and gave me a thumbs up.

“Arasseo. Just be here on time okay? Vice presidents take over the president’s place and I don’t like talking in front of a hundred students.” She giggled through the phone, making me smile. It was just the most perfect sound in the world.

“I’ll be there. I promise.” I smiled.

“Good. Take care.” Before I could answer back, the call was cut.

I the engine, making the car roar to life and without a word; I sped out of the park and to school.

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

Last week

 

I was walking along the corridor when Gyuri Seonsaengnim called me.

“Junho, next week will be the class presidents awarding.”

“Jinjja? Did I get anything?”

“We’re not allowed to say but just prepare a speech okay?” I nodded to her request and bowed before leaving the office.

As I left the instructor’s room, I saw Gayoon seated by her locker with her earphones plugged in. I smiled at the sight of her. She and I have been best friends ever since she transferred here and I’ve had feelings for her since then and until now I haven’t told her how I truly felt. I gathered up all my strength and walked to where she was, sat beside her and took off one of her ear plugs and putting it on.

“SNSD? Not bad.” I smiled at the startled Gayoon who was looking at me. Damn was she pretty.

“Hobutt!” She smiled widely and hugged me tightly. “Have you readied your speech?”

“Huh? How’d you know?”

“Gyuri Seonsaengnim asked me to make one too in case you don’t show up.”

“Ohhh..” I nodded playfully. “Have you made yours yet? I have plans for-“

“Yah!” She hit my arm, making me chuckle. “You better show up, Hobutt or else your gets it.” She giggled.

“Yes yes. I’ll be there.” I chuckled. I looked at her smile and I felt like melting.

 

 

 

“Uhh Gayoon?”

“Ne?”

“H-Have you got your date for the prom next week?” I was nervous and scared for the answer. She shook her head and gave me a soft smile before looking back into her notebook and started scribbling.

“No one has asked me yet.”

“Jinjja?” She nodded.

“Have you got yours?”

“Mhmm.. I just need to ask her though.” I grinned.

“Ohh..” She sounded sad. But she was good in hiding what she was feeling. “Have fun with her, ne?”

“Oh I intend to.”

 

 

 

“Joonyoung! Joonyoung!” I shouted through the hall while looking for my best friend.

“Yow, Hobutt! Over here!” He waved and I walked over to his locker.

“Hey, Man. You still got your guitar?”

“Yup. Why?”

“We have a gig. Call Kyuhyun and Kai.”

“Okay?” Joonyoung just gave out a shrug and quickly dialed Kyuhyun’s number

 

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

As I arrived in campus, Kyuhyun was waiting with Kai at my parking space. I parked the car and gave them a beep, startling them.

“Are you ready to rumble, boys?” I chuckled and got out of the car along with Joonyoung, grabbing the stuff and quickly ran to the gym where the ceremony will be held.

As we got there, I took out my phone and called Hara.

“Hara-sshi! Eodiso?”

“I’m at the back stage.”

“Perfect!” I shouted, making the professors look at me. I covered my mouth then stretched my neck as I searched for her. “Hara, Here!” I said through the receiver and waved my hands. She then turned off her phone and walked towards me, giving me a brief hug.

“What’s up, Oppa?”

“Here.” I gave her the bouquet of flowers. I saw her cheek turn pink as she looked at me, her expression blank. “Whoah! Don’t get your hopes up, Saeng. These are for Gayoon remember?”

“Oh right..” She chuckled. Awkwardness was evident on her face.

Shaking my head I gave her the instruction about the bouquet and she nodded, giving me the assurance that she understood my commands. Looking around once more, I saw Principal Lee with the rest of the faculty. I walked towards him and asked a little of his time.

“What is it, Mr. Lee?” Principal Lee asked.

“Uhm Principal Lee, can me and my friends have a little intermission number before the ceremony? You know, to liven up the crowd.” I smiled nervously.

“This won’t be a joke right?” He raised his eyebrow at me.

I shook my head and smiled sincerely.

“Okay. Just a quick one, okay? What will you boys be doing?”

“We’ll be singing, Sir.” I grinned and he nodded, leaving me to rejoin the faculty.

I pumped my fist in victory and ran back to my friends.

“Okay, guys. We’re on.” I grinned and took the guitar, helping them set up the equipment.

 

 

 

The guys and I were practicing the song when we heard Principal Lee tap the microphone from the stage. I felt my heart race as he said his welcome address.

For Gayoon. For Gayoon. For Gayoon. For Gayoon. I repeated the mantra in my head and prayed that I don’t mess up.

“Let’s give it up for Junho and his friends.” I looked at Joonyoung and the guys, giving them a nod and walked out to the stage.

The school’s technician positioned our places in a line for everyone to see the four of us on stage. Kyuhyun held bass, Kai was on the beat box while Joonyoung was on guitars and I on vocals. Before giving out an introduction, I looked into the crowed and found Gayoon sitting up front, looking at me curiously. I gave out a soft smile and started talking through the microphone.

“Good Morning, MW High.” I said coolly. “My friends and I decided to play for you a little song to liven up your morning. Is that okay with you guys?” The crowd shouted I agreement. Smiling, I glanced at Gayoon once more before nodding at the boys to start the song.

 

Four letter word

But I don't have the guts to say it

Smile til it hurts

let’s not make it complicated

 

I started singing. Nervousness dominating my systems. I looked at the crowd once more but in an instant, my eyes were glued to Gayoon. She was smiling.


We got a story

But I'm about to change the ending

You're perfect for me

More than just a friend so we can just stop pretending now

Gotta let you know somehow

 

I closed my eyes and images of her started flooding my mind.

 

I'll be your shelter

I'll be your storm

I'll make you shiver

I'll keep you warm

whatever weather

 

Our memories and moments together flashed next. Her smile. Her laugh. Her pout. Everything about her was all I saw.


Baby I'm yours

be your forever, Be your fling

Baby, I will be your everything

 

I smiled then stood from my seat as I continued singing to the next verse. I heard some of the students mumbling, like they were expecting a surprise. Then before I could reach the second chorus, Hara came out in time, handing me the flowers. I took them and gave her a smile before she left the stage. The murmurs got louder as I faced the crowd once more. Making my way to the stairs, the girls started squealing loud.

 

No matter what you do

I'll be there for you

and every time you close your eyes

 

I was down on the grounds and slowly walked towards Gayoon who was looking at me.

 

I will be by your side

'Cause every time you make me sing

Baby, I will be your everything

 

The music stopped just as soon as I halted in front of her. The crowd went silent and everyone gasped when I went down on one knee. I gave Gayoon the flowers which she accepted. And without any hesitation, I gave out a deep sigh, positioned the microphone right before my lips and popped the question.

“Gayoon, will you be my prom date?”

Her eyes widened in surprise and so were the people around us. I felt conscious that I closed my eyes for a moment to calm myself. And when I opened them, all I saw was her. Her beautiful eyes looking straight into mine. My heart was racing. I was nervous. I was sweating. Her answer would determine if these feelings I have should be pushed through or not.

“Gayoon-ah..” I heard Lizzy and Jihyun whisper. “Say something.”

My hand was holding hers tightly. And before I could lose the slightest of hope, she spoke.

“T-This is so surprising, Junho. But.. yes. I would love to be your prom date.”

I sighed in happiness and everyone around us started clapping and cheering. I stood up and she did too. Placing the flowers on her seat, I wrapped my arms around her tightly, cherishing the moment that we were in. And right on time, Taemin and his girlfriend Tia popped the party poppers that startled everyone.

I finished the song in a jiff and took my seat on stage. Gyuri Seonsaengnim and Principal Lee gave me a pat on the back as congratulations from the award that I’ve received.

Today has definitely been a great day. Gayoon as my prom date, three awards from school, what’s next? I sighed in happiness while lying down on my bed, recalling the events from today.

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

Prom day has come and I’m dressed in a red shirt and a gold tie to go along with Gayoon’s red dress. Geumhee, the president of the events committee welcomed us at the school gates and directed us to the gym. As we entered the gym, the school’s official photographer, Wonho, lead us to the picture booth and took our first picture for the night.

“I’ll have that framed,” I exclaimed and Gayoon giggled, making me chuckle as well.

“Framed for what?”

“For memories.” I smiled.

I held onto her hand and lead her to our designated seats to enjoy the dinner the school has prepared. The twins, Zhou Mi and Seul Mi complimented us on our outfits, saying that she and I look perfect together. I noticed the blush on her cheeks after both pupils left. I smiled and caressed her face gently, making her look at me.

“You look beautiful.” I whispered and leaned forward, giving her a light kiss on her forehead.

 

 

 

After everyone has taken their fill, Myungsoo and Kris, stood on stage and started hosting the program for the night. The atmosphere was happy because everyone was. The famous singer, Lee Hi, was also there to put some extra joy into or systems.

After a couple of dances, Myungsoo and Kris calmed the crowed when he was about to announce the Prom King and Prom Queen for this year. I took a seat beside Gayoon and her friends who were very nervous and anxious for the results.

“And this year’s Prom King is..”

Everyone had their own vote on who deserves the crown. Boy and girls alike would mostly do anything to win this award. But I simply don’t give a-

“Lee Junho!”

“What?!”

Eyes were all on me.  Joonyoung and the boys started patting my back and pushed me towards the stage. I was in shock. It couldn’t sink in that I won the award I cared less for. I looked at Gayoon who was clapping and laughing as I stood up on stage.

Principal Lee was there with me, shook my hand and placed the crown on my head along with the sash that goes with it.

“Congratulations, Mr. Lee.” Principal Lee said before taking his seat.

I stood helplessly on center stage, waiting for the MC to announce the queen. I have fingers crossed wishing it would be Gayoon.

“And this year’s Queen is..”

 

I closed my eyes.

 

“Heo Gayoon!”

 

The crowd went while and applauded as Gayoon made her way to the stage. I was smiling like an idiot. Can this day get any better?

When Gyuri Seonsaengnim stood up to wear Gayoon her crown, I stopped her and asked if I could be the one to present it. Handing me the tiara, I stood in front of Gayoon and gently placed it over her head, placing yet another kiss on her forehead.

She looked at me with wide eyes while I caressed her cheek.

 

“The Emperor has finally found his Queen.”