All's Well that Ends Well

You Forgot

 

You stood there waiting quietly, something inside you growing. It was dark and hateful, and you couldn’t help but want to suppress it because you didn’t want it to be true. You didn’t want to be standing waiting while he had once again forgotten you. Your stomach twisted into a knot, as you started to realize that this was going to end like most of your dates had recently. Alone. You knew you’d be alone, he’d forgotten you again. You’d been waiting for weeks and he was going to not show up, once again. It couldn’t get much worse than this.

That’s where you were wrong actually. 

While you waited outside of his building, like planned, the dark sky had only gotten darker. A crack bellowed through the skies and the rain came down in buckets. But you stood there anyways. Your perfectly done hair now matted against your face in a drenched mess, and your clothes uncomfortably sticking to your body as the fabric soaked through. Nausea welled up in your gut, making you just about ready to puke. Tears welled up into your eyes, but you stood your ground for at least another hour. Why were you so nice to him sometimes?

You thought back to how meticulously this was all planned out, and how you had to cancel your reservation because he hadn’t even walked out of his dormitory yet. How you had to hold yourself back from crying over the phone as you told the kind maître d’ to give away your table.  You frowned finally, having waited long enough. This was the last date you’d accept him to miss.

You went home, and once you got inside to the comfort of warmth and safety, you shot him a simple text. You were furious. All you needed was two words that would put him right in his place, and let him understand how angry you actually were.

You forgot.

Yukwon would understand what exactly he had done. Sure, he had just made a comeback, but you two were supposed to celebrate tonight. Not that he ever remembered these things. You curled up at home, in a little ball on the sofa, wondering how he was reacting right now. Was he with his group, drinking and reading this text? Was he widening his eyes in realization as he remembers that he left you standing there in the rain?

You got up to go find yourself a towel; your anger had made you forget that you were dripping wet. As you went to get a towel, you pictured him running away from all his friends, desperate to make it up to you like he usually did. What would he do this time, not that you cared. You were too mad; you were ready to end it all. He had forgotten too many times already, and you were done with it all. You could move on easily, find someone who would remember you and hold you above all else. Someone who’d cherish time spent with you, and at least try and contact you if he couldn’t make a meeting. Unlike Yukwon.

You put your phone to charge, and curled back up on the couch, newly dried and ready to drown yourself in the magic of drama movies. You just wanted to cry it all away and fall asleep and forget that you had ever gotten so excited for a date that would never actually happen.  You the tv and cuddled up to a pillow, sniffling before the movie even started. But you didn’t want to cry, you wanted to be much stronger than just crying due to a missed date. The tears fell anyway, and you couldn’t hold them back.

The familiar tune of your beloved boo’s comeback blasted from your cellphone. You wanted to throw it across the room because you knew that was exactly why he wasn’t with you right now, but at the same you knew it was him. You grit your teeth and ignored all his calls. You planned to be as mad as long as you could before he managed to woo you back into his arms.

You kept ignoring the calls, blasting the tv to the loudest it could be. Your neighbours were knocking on the walls to get you to turn it down but if you did you’d hear his footsteps as he ran down the hallway to your door or you’d hear him slamming onto your door shouting your name. You had made a mistake; the door was unlocked so he let himself in. 

In burst Yukwon through your front door, his face fraught with worry and panic. As it should be because he screwed up and you both knew it. First, he ran over to the television, turning the volume down before turning the whole device off. Second, he ran over to you, collapsing on his knees in front of you. The plastic bag that smelled of delicious food went on the coffee table as he collected your hands into his. Tears welling into his eyes when you clenched your hands into fists so that he couldn’t feel the warmth of your palms and as your head whipped away from him in anger.

“Ja— _______,” He whispered as he held onto you tighter, his resolve cracking with the realization that you may not give him another chance. “I’m so sorry… I’m so sorry. I just got so into this comeback that it totally slipped… that’s probably the last thing you want to hear.” He let go of your hands, sinking down to the floor in utter defeat. A long sigh exhaled from his cute little lips, and it hurt you to hear he was in pain. It was almost as if a little angel was telling you to forgive him and a little devil was telling you to let him suffer. But before you could talk it out with him, he was standing up and kissing your forehead. “I’m so sorry I let you down again jagiya. I won’t call you that again.” With that, he started for the door, leaving his baggie of food on the table.

You opened the baggie quickly out of curiosity, pulling out the food and seeing all your favorite foods from your favorite little mom and pop Thai shop down the road. Underneath was a box of tea light candles, because he knew you didn’t have candle holders yet. You were up and sprinting for the door, bursting through it like he had when he was first arriving. You tripped over a set of legs, crashing into the arms of Yukwon accidentally.

“… _______?” He asked in shock, his eyes red from obviously crying.

“Why are you out here?” You asked in a very monotonous voice, almost a demand actually. He raised a brow in confusion and you pursed your lips. “You expect me to eat all that food alone? I’ll get so fat.” A grin broke out on his lips as he picked you up and carried you back inside to the food. All’s well that ends well.