A day in the life of Lee Taemin

A day in the life of Lee Taemin

 

Taemin is 16 years old. It’s typical for him to be an early teen in his last year of middle school, all young love and zigzagging grades. It’s typical for him too however, to be late for his class everyday – very average.

 

“Oh ! Not Today!”

 

He kicks off rashly at the comfort of his bed and rummages through the room for his stuff in flinching fits of spasms. Another string of curses fall when he is reminded that the bus leaves his stop in 5 minutes so without much thought, bath, or even breakfast, he goes for his bag and zooms out the house.

 

Today is a different day, quite significant from all the others. Today his life in highschool will once again be rated; a trial for the examinations next week. This situation isn’t to be belittled for Taemin is a diligent student, a hard-worker, just really not a good timekeeper.

 

He makes it barely in the middle of the class and scoots over to join the melody – a little or too out of breath. He eyes for his teacher apologetically noticing the glaring look that is practically screaming ‘fail’ and is undeniably directed to him – he pitches a little higher.

 

It’s one thing to be late for half your class, but another thing entirely to be late, sticky, hungry, and most importantly so bad in the most crucial subject of your life.

You try to keep the embarrassment low key, so as natural as it is, the whole class notices and it doesn’t fail to humiliate you more.

 

As nice it is to receive comfort when you want it desperately – especially ones you don’t ask for – he isn’t getting any of those, not today he doesn’t.

 

“You’re late again Taemin.”

 

He is giving him that stoic look again, he hates it more than anything but he bows so very low because he knows it’s his fault and he won’t go blaming his anger on anyone, especially not his teacher.

 

“It’s the third time this week. Are you expecting to pass with this kind of behavior?”

 

He doesn’t say anything. He is right. Everything he says is right so the only thing he could do is apologize more.

 

“If you didn’t want to graduate you could’ve told me sooner so I’d let you sell candy for the rest of your life Taemin I’m disappointed.”

 

This time Taemin swears he’s sunk lower to the ground – not that anyone was witnessing his being lectured – he cringes at the tears, holds it back and straightens his voice.

 

“I’m sorry sir…” It was always weird for Taemin to call him that but the reasons were valid. “I could better”

 

“I expected better. Maybe it just doesn’t work for you.”

 

The hard words were all he needed to tear up more and became harder to fight. So he bows even lower and meets his eyes sincerely. “I’m sorry dad”

 

Before his next class he makes sure he atleast washed his face. Food was the least of his concerns ever since his talk with is vocal teacher.

 

“uh-oh…daddy alert. So how’d it go?”

 

Not to mention renowned artist/composer/singer Kim Heechul A.K.A dad

 

“Horrible, will you do me a favor and shut up.”

 

“Shutting up! But Taem you should atleast take a bite.”

 

Some other time he could take Jonghyun on that offer, but right now isn’t really a good time. “Thanks you guys. I’ll just get going, see you later.”

 

He takes off pale leaving his friends to stare pitifully. They couldn’t do anything even if they want to.

 

The rest of the day went on as a mass of blurry images and all that’s clear is him and his misery – a disappointment he says.

 

He goes home early, just right after class in a glum and unsurprisingly weak but he doesn’t even give it a thought because compared to that… “Pressure is the worst.”

 

But he’s powerless against it. It’s not like he hates having a teacher-dad, it could just be stressful most of the time. Being labeled as the teacher’s son can be burdening not just from the expectations in class. He copes really well though, today is just not a day for him.

 

He goes straight to bed not minding his thinning stomach because he can’t just eat with a lot of thinking going on plus he has to make up for the tardiness lately. Well, he’s been working a lot since two weeks before the exam – training his voice well and readjusting notes from the piece he has to work on. He is convinced he has to work twice as hard because it just so happens to be his dad’s favorite song which isn’t making it easier, not one bit.

 

He hears the door shut close from inside his room so he pretends to sleep. He is not going through an evening of more of Heechul’s lectures. This is the best way. So he ignores the knock on his door and tries so much to shut his eyes and hide under the blanket but sighs when he eventually hears it creak followed by careful footsteps.

 

Heechul may have a tough job of being both a dad and a teacher but he doesn’t find it hard to be able to read Taemin clearly because the little guy takes on to him like a twin rather than a son, especially when he’s upset and Taemin is clearly upset.

 

“You didn’t wait for me to go home” Heechul has taken a seat beside the blanketed heap that is Taemin and the latter knows they’re just playing a game where his dad is obviously winning so he surrenders because he always knows, always.

 

“I didn’t want to soil your image by riding with a disappointing son.”

 

It was an arrow to the gut and it washes Heechul with guilt as he stared at the blanketed silhouette of Taemin thinking about how much of a burden it must have been and how hurt he was when he told him he was a disappointment.

 

He prompts Taemin to sit up and is instantly washed with worry at how pale the boy is, looking weak and wobbly – to think maybe he caused all this.

 

“You look like you died”

 

“Comes with living through higschool dad. You should know.”

 

“I should”

 

It isn’t as though Heechul could just wish for them to make up or something because they just can’t. But he worries so much about Taemin eversince he’s been coming late and staying up late at that. He knows how dedicated his son can be but he can’t just neglect his job as a teacher, he has an image to maintain, and if he loses it he’ll loose his job as well and it’s not going to work out good for their living.

 

“Look Taemin, you know better than to let me get to you right?”

 

“Yea…”

 

Its hard to console Taemin when he’s stubborn, it makes Heechul irritatingly proud – stubbornness is their middle name.

 

“C’mon baby!”

 

Cheering people up is definitely not Heechul’s gig so he does the next best thing he’s sure to have a knack at – teasing – plus a little tickling wouldn’t hurt.

 

“Dad! Stop it!”

 

“Not until you forgive me!”

 

“Ha! Never!”

 

“Ah really?”

 

He straddles Taemin in the bed and tickles him harder making the boy loose his breath and beg for him to stop.

 

“Fine! Stop now!”

 

“So I’m forgiven?”

 

“Whatever dad”

 

He’s no psychic but he realizes that’s as good as forgiveness he’ll ever get from Taemin, they can never really stay mad at each other.

 

He lifts Taemin up on his shoulders and carries him to dinner.

 

“You’re going to eat everything I make or I’ll tickle you to death.”

 

“You wish”

 

“Oh you wanna try me??”

 

So eventually everything worked out good for the both of them.
Heechul still doesn’t wake him up early but he rings Taemin’s phone and waits for him to pick up to make sure he’s up in time and he helps him regarding school as fairly as he can.

 

They don’t need those mushy family stuff to get along, Taemin being Heechul’s kid – he believes it’s the greatest title he’s ever received.

 

And to Heechul being Taemin’s dad,
well he’d rather fail than never to have him in his life at all.

 


 

A/N: It's been a while since I worked on fluff. eck. Need concentration.