FINAL

I Didn't Choose You

tumblr_mbpies3mXy1qasajho1_500.gif

Okay so originally this story was supposed to be a sad and angsty story.  And I tried to make it have a happy ending but there was just no way that could happen so I ended up changing the whole storyline towards the end while keeping the beginning so there's probably this jump where you're like...this story doesn't seem succint.  So I'm warning you now that it might not really make sense if you think about it haha. 

 

 

            The date was supposed to be perfect.  Sungyeol had planned the date months in advance.  It was the beginning of spring. The cherry blossoms were supposed to be in bloom and the sky was supposed to be the clearest blue.  It was supposed to be a refreshingly sunny day according to the weather reports. Sungyeol had bought a new dress shirt and a bouquet of yellow flowers.  But it was raining.  And he was now kneeling on the ground with his fist to the sky screaming, “Why?”

            Nothing had turned out the way he wanted it to.  In a way nothing ever did. 

            There was an amused laugh beside him and Sungjong bent down beside him and laid a hand on his shoulder.  The younger boy’s wet hair was plastered to his face and they were quickly getting drenched in this horrendous god forsaken rain storm.  The flowers were thrown down the hill and Sungyeol’s new shirt was getting a second wash. 

            “It’s not the end of the world, hyung,” Sungjong laughed as he tried to bring the taller boy to his feet but the taller one just bent over with his hands on the ground.  Sungjong frowned.  Sungyeol looked depressed.  It was only rain and he didn’t think the date was a complete disaster.  No date ever was if he was in Sungyeol’s company. 

            Sungyeol always wound up making a good or funny situation out of a bad one.  It was in the older’s nature.  So it was an understatement to say that Sungjong was worried.  Because if it weren’t for the downpour, Sungjong could swear he thought Sungyeol was crying.  But Sungyeol quickly lowered his head and grabbed the grass with his hands obscuring his face from view. 

            Sungjong bent down and quickly tightened his grip on Sungyeol’s arm, “Hyung, you’re scaring me.  Let’s get out of here and somewhere dry.”

            He heard Sungyeol murmur something and he knew he must’ve heard wrong because there’s no way those words would ever come out of Sungyeol’s mouth. 

            “What did you say?” Sungjong whispered.  The wind was loud and he thought Sungyeol wouldn’t hear him but his hyung’s reply was as clear as day.

            “Let’s break up.”

            Sungjong froze for a moment with his mouth in a perfect O.  Rain was starting to enter his mouth.  Was Sungyeol playing some sick joke on him?  They’d been going out since college.  They’d been friends since kindergarten.  They were a perfect couple...they are the perfect couple.  So why the hell would Sungyeol say that?  Sure they hadn’t been as cute and fluffy as they used to be, but they’d grown used to each other.  Maybe they’d become a bit distant.  Sungjong was studying for his masters and Sungyeol was trying to get promoted but other than that, there wasn’t a single problem in their relationship. 

            “I can’t hear you clearly,” Sungjong stood up and pulled Sungyeol up with him.  Sungyeol stood up and looked down at him, “We need to break up.”  As plain as day.  Sungyeol was staring straight at him as he said those words. 

            Without thinking, Sungjong slapped Sungyeol across the face.  Sungyeol didn’t even move or press a hand to his red cheek.  He just stood there looking at the ground, with rain dripping down his face.  He looked like a zombie.  No emotion, no reaction.  Nothing.

            “Stop ing joking around!” Sungjong yelled at him.  He pushed Sungyeol roughly; Sungyeol backed up. 

            “It’s not a joke, Sungjong.  This can’t go on any longer.”  Sungyeol turned around and started walking back down the hill.

            “What are you saying?” Sungjong ran after him.  His voice was breaking.  He wasn’t sure if he was crying or not because it was still raining, “Why are you doing this?  ing answer me!” Sungjong pushed him and Sungyeol almost stumbled down the hill. 

            Sungyeol stopped and he looked furious, “Because it’s not going to work!  Don’t you get it?  We’re not like we used to be!  Whatever this is?  Whatever we had? It disappeared a long time ago.  And it’s never coming back!  So let’s just end it now and move on.”

            “Where is this all coming from?” Sungjong asked wildly.

            “Stop lying to yourself, Jongie.  You’re living a lie.  By being here…with me?  This isn’t what you wanted, right?  It isn’t what any of us want.”

            Sungyeol turned around to walk away again.  Sungjong just stood where he was.  Did Sungyeol really believe that?  It was a like a punch to the face.  They’d been together for most of their lives.  How could Sungyeol say those things?  Sungjong couldn’t even comprehend what was happening.  All he knew was that Sungyeol didn’t want to be around him anymore.  Sungyeol didn’t even want to be friends.  He would’ve said he wanted to be friends at least but he didn’t. 

            Sungyeol paused in his walking when he realized that Sungjong wasn’t following him anymore.  He turned back and saw Sungjong at a steeper incline above him on the hill.  Nothing turned out the way he’d planned and nothing was perfect about today.  Sungjong looked up and their eyes met briefly.  But Sungyeol quickly turned around and continued his descent down the hill. 

 

            Sungjong stayed in his spot for a few more minutes.  When he arrived at home, he was drenched to the core. His clothes were a second skin and he was sneezing hysterically like there was no tomorrow.  He was a little bit surprised that the house was quiet and empty.  A part of him still thought that Sungyeol was playing some kind of sick joke on him.  

            But the lights were off and there was no sign of Sungyeol anywhere.  Sungyeol’s unfinished mug of coffee was still on the dining room table and his jacket was still thrown over the couch from when Sungjong told him to wear something warmer. 

            Sungjong peeled off his clothes and quickly took a shower.  He went to the living room and hopped onto the couch.  Sungyeol lived with him; he would have to come home eventually.  And when he did; they would have a serious talk.  Maybe Sungyeol hit his head so hard that he was suffering from two personalities. 

            But when morning came, Sungjong was still alone.  The house still felt empty. 

            He was still helplessly lying down on the couch when there was a sound of keys in the door four hours later.  It was about 1 in the afternoon. 

            Sungyeol looked slightly surprised at seeing Sungjong staring at him from the couch, but he didn’t bother saying anything as he walked into their shared bedroom. 

            Sungjong stormed into the bedroom after him and was temporarily speechless when he saw Sungyeol take out his suitcase and quickly throw clothes into it.

            “You’re leaving?” Sungjong pushed Sungyeol against their wardrobe, “You’re just going to leave without telling me why?” Sungjong pushed Sungyeol’s forehead, “You’re going to throw away the last 20 years away like it didn’t mean anything?”

            Sungyeol just looked at the ground and didn’t say anything.

            “Look at me, Yeol-ah,” Sungjong said softly, “Why are you doing this?”

            “Because I have to.”

            “What’s wrong with you?” Sungjong screamed, “Just tell me why you’re doing this!”

            Sungyeol threw some more clothes into the suitcase without saying anything. 

            “You might want to break up but I won’t let that happen,” Sungjong jumped on top of the suitcase.

            Sungyeol sighed, “We’re not kids anymore, Sungjong.  You can’t just say things and think everything’s going to be okay.”

            Sungjong was at a loss for words.  This wasn’t the same Sungyeol he knew.

            “I’ve been cheating on you.”

            “What?”

            “I’m leaving to be with him.  I did love you, Sungjong.  But…” Sungyeol looked straight into his eyes, “I’m sorry things turned out this way.”

            “I ing hate you Sungyeol,” Sungjong’s tears sprang unwillingly from his eyes.  He got off the suitcase and slammed a fist into the wardrobe that Sungyeol was up against. 

            “Who?”

            Sungyeol frowned at him, “Does it matter?”

            Sungjong glared at Sungyeol and then his glare softened and he was more confused than anything.

            “You were never good at lying, Yeollie.  Why are you lying to me?”

            “I’m not! I love someone else!”

            “You’re lying to me!” Sungjong grabbed onto Sungyeol’s arms.  His actions might have seemed desperate but he was 100% sure that Sungyeol was hiding something from him.  Sungyeol would never cheat.  In the whole time he’d known Sungyeol (his whole life minus 3 years) the older boy had never looked at anyone else. 

            Sungyeol’s cold eyes broke and Sungjong could see how scared his hyung was. 

            “I’m leaving.”

            Sungyeol started quickly going but Sungjong grabbed his hand and pulled him back.  He quickly put his hands on his hyung’s cheeks and kissed him with all the power he had.

            Sungyeol refused at first but soon his hands were at Sungjong’s waist and he was quickly pushing the younger onto the bed. 

 

            The morning light streamed in and Sungyeol opened his eyes.  He was supposed to leave while Sungjong was sleeping.  But each time he tried, the boy would automatically grip his hands tighter around his waist. 

            “You’re the most important thing to me, Lee Sungyeol.”

            Sungyeol looked down.  He could only see the top of Sungjong’s head.

            “You can’t leave me, you idiot.  Without you I have nothing.”

            Sungyeol’s head fell back onto his pillow. 

            “I don’t….” Sungyeol swallowed, “I can’t, Sungjong.  I can’t say the same.  I don’t love you anymore.”

            Sungjong looked up and moved forward so his nose was almost brushing Sungyeol’s.

            “Can’t you just tell me the truth?”

            Sungyeol couldn’t look away from those large brown eyes, “I’m dying, Sungjong.”

            There was a loud of intake of breath.

            “Liar.”

            “You know I’m not lying, Jongie.”

            “You’re a ing .  Don’t joke around like this,” Sungjong slapped Sungyeol across the face again.

            “Ow!” Sungyeol touched his cheek. 

            “Do you want me to even it out on the other one?” Sungjong threatened.  He held a fist up to show Sungyeol he was thinking of actually punching him.

            “I just,” Sungyeol looked defeated, “Do you ever regret choosing me?”

            Sungjong groaned and smacked his own forehead against Sungyeol’s chest, “Not this again.”

            Sungyeol looked up at the ceiling, “I just don’t want to be your second choice.”

            “Look here, you idiot,” Sungjong gripped Sungyeol’s chin and made sure he was staring him right in the eyes, “I didn’t choose you.”

            Sungyeol’s eyes widened and then narrowed, “Then why are you even here?”

            “It was never a choice, Sungyeol,” Sungjong said through gritted teeth, “It was never a choice between you and him.  Yes I loved him.  But when I think about where I am now, it wasn’t even real love.  Being with you isn’t something I would have to think about.  I can’t live without you.  So I have no choice in the matter.  You’ve always been the one.  Maybe I didn’t know it back then but I have for the last 4 years so can you please stop being an idiot and realize that?” 

            “How can you expect me to believe dreams can come true,” Sungyeol grinned.

            “You’re disgusting!” Sungjong grabbed a pillow and crushed it on Sungyeol’s face, “Stop saying things that make me cringe!”

            Sungyeol started waving his hands crazily and Sungjong took away the pillow. 

            “Can you stop trying to kill me?” Sungyeol asked as he grabbed Sungjong’s head in between his hands.

            “When you start believing that I love you.  Only you.  Always will,” Sungjong kissed Sungyeol’s nose, “Don’t leave again.  I thought I would die.”

            Sungyeol smiled, “I was being a little overdramatic, wasn’t I?” 

            “You always are.  You’re so stupid.”

            “Hey, you were the one who wanted to break up over my cooking just last week!” Sungyeol wanted to get up but Sungjong pushed him down. 

             “Because you almost burned the place down!” Sungjong shouted.

            “That’s it!  It’s over!  I’m leaving now,” Sungyeol started to get up but he was pushed down again by the younger.

            Sungjong rolled his eyes, “Sit your down.”

            “I’m giving you an out,” Sungyeol said seriously. 

            Sungjong frowned, “Stop, Sungyeol.  I was never looking for an out.”

            “So you’re content being with me your whole life?  Cooking for me and enjoying my weird sense of humor? Late nights at work? Having stupid fights about pointless things?”

            “I’m content on spending my life with a great person.  I don’t mind cooking once in a while.  I’m the only one who gets your sense of humor and I don’t mind you working late nights because it makes me happy when you do come back.  I don’t care about fighting about pointless things because I know they aren’t serious arguments.  I look forward to having fun with my best friend and boyfriend.  Going through adventures with you and being around you until I actually get sick of you.  I look forward to the times when even if I am sick of you, I want you by my side.   And I'll still want to be with you when we’re both cranky old men who still bicker about what to watch on TV.”

            “That’s quite a mouthful,” Sungyeol grinned.

            “Well I need some words to sink in through that thing you call a brain.”

            “Don’t worry, sweetie.  Enough of it sunk in,” Sungyeol squeezed Sungjong’s nose with one hand.  He reached over to the side drawer and withdrew something.

            “How much?”

            “Four words.”

            Sungjong gave a frustrated look, “All of that and you only caught four words?  What were they?”

            Sungyeol moved his hands out from underneath Sungjong, “Will you marry me?”  And then he opened the little box in his hands; inside was a silver ring band.

            “You’re kidding me right?” Sungjong’s mouth was open and Sungyeol suddenly tensed up.

            “Um I mean we can wait.  Maybe it’s too early?  The ring is ugly isn’t it?  You hate it don’t you?  I knew I should’ve gotten ---“ Sungyeol was silenced when Sungjong kissed him.

            “You’re kidding me.  After all I said why do you even need to ask?  You know it’s a yes,” Sungjong broke away just quick enough for Sungyeol to slip on the ring before he captured his lips again. 

            “You know this means you can’t threaten to leave anymore right,” Sungjong said suddenly when they broke apart.

            “But it also means I can burn down the house if---“

            “Sungyeol.”

            “I promise I never will.”