This is all that I can say.

The Day Before.

 

The Day Before.

 

The room looked the same. The food you ate was still here, the rose you plucked and left in the glass was still here, the book you were reading was still here, everything was still here.

 

I entered your apartment while holding onto the silver suitcase containing the recorder. The place was dead quiet after the whole incident, which was quite understandable for everyone. Your house was as boring as your life, with the plain monochrome colors that sank into the apartment walls, all the life that's left. You say grey is the most neutral color, as it was the fusion of the brightest and darkest in the world. You say you live only to pass life quickly and die. You say you need not any excitement and confusion. But somehow, you favored the colors Mother Nature showered upon you. The light brown and dark shades of green scattered around your house was the solid proof of it. I’m guessing that they represent me in your life.

 

The color that made you felt attached to the world.

 

As I slowly reach the oak table in the middle of the dining room, I could see it was still covered with your personal belongings that I would usually help you clean up. The elephant paper holder we got in Thailand, the blue button from your shirt, the black camera that you bought with your first paycheck, yeah, it was all still there. And somehow, I couldn’t bear moving any of it away.

 

And as if I could still hear your voice calling, I strolled around the place, taking a few last glances of the room while wondering what would happen to it later. Will they sell it off? Or just leave it here to rot? It’s okay, I’ll still come by often; I couldn’t bear parting from this place, it’s the only connection with you left. I finally returned to the dining table and lightly placed the suitcase down before taking the recorder out. The recorder was something that I have always been good with, but today, how I wish that I never knew how to use it.

 

I walked towards the small fridge you had and took the usual out. My favorite raspberry juice was still there as I poured it into the goblet that you bought for me just last week. I then slowly walked over and pulled the chair that was in front of where you always sit and sat down, just like how we usually do. I could have felt the faint smile on your face as thought as you already knew what was going on in my head.

 

Tik.

 

"Hello Youngjae." You said in your soft angelic voice.

 

"Hello Daehyun." I answered back with a smile.

 

The room was dim with only a small fracture of light penetrating the gray curtains. The heat outside was able to fry an egg but all I feel now is a chilling coolness that was emitting from your apartment. It tidied my black suit before staring right at you, only to realize that you’re wearing a T-shirt with jeans. I eyed you immediately as you let out a small chuckle.

 

"I know I did not dressed like you but spare me this once, okay?" You said while touching the coffee cup in front of you.

 

Your sleek fingers were circulating the white porcelain cup, playing with the tiny amount of leftover coffee in it. The half empty pot beside you probably indicated how much you drank already but your face showed not even the slightest sign of energy. Your lips were curled up into a half smile and your eyes showed sadness but still a hint of your cheeky self, cause Daehyun will never be Daehyun without playfulness.

 

I gave you a slight nod, accepting your apology as I played with my drink while in my seat. Our legs were crisscrossed between each other, just like how we usually do whenever we have a chat. We were both silent as you looked around the room, scanning through the few monochrome objects before staring right at me. I flinched a little, but then stared back at you, while sipping onto my drink, in hoping that you would say something.

 

Tik.

 

"You weren't able to predict this right? It looks like I finally  beat the genius for once." You claimed while you stared at me.

 

I chuckled back while looking elsewhere, hearing your point. Is that all you can think of saying, Daehyun-ah? After all this madness you created?

 

"You can never out beat me, Daehyun. I am the genius." I boasted knowingly while looking at you.

 

"But still you've got to admit that you couldn't predict this." You whispered back.

 

I raised both of my hands up while nodding, showing you that you won. You knew me too well, about how I react, how I answer, how I complain. I have always been smart from the view on science and but when it comes to social skills, you’re the master of me. You can even guess what I say next before I say so myself. Even I don't know myself that well. And this has officially been the worst downfall in my life.

 

You flashed an unenthusiastic grin while touching the cup again, now eyeing the crystal clear liquid that's stored in a cylindrical bottle beside the cup. I glanced at that deadly bottle, knowing what was contained inside.

 

"Why did you do it?" I asked while playing with the ruby red liquid in my cup.

 

"You know, the usual. It's just like how they say; you need to let go, if you want to grow up. I just couldn't bear letting go. Everyone around me was dying off so quickly that I didn't even get to prepare myself. " You stated while staring at the diary on the table.

 

I stopped playing with my drink as I heard what you said. That was the reason? Because you couldn't bear letting go? What does that make me? Unbreakable?

 

Your face was slowly changing, as you knew exactly what I was going to say. I wished you weren’t that stupid, that naïve and that sad to do it. I wished you could talk to me about it. I wished you would give me a heads up, at least.

 

Tik.

 

"So what are you going to do now? I can't accompany you, you know? I can't help you when you're in trouble later." I replied with a bitter grin.

 

"It's okay. I'm growing up now. This time, by letting go of your hand. You have been a great friend, Youngjae." You grinned sadly while looking at me with your soulless eyes.

 

Before I couldn't even object, you took the bottle up and poured the clear liquid in your cup. The soft splash of the liquid in your cup killed my heart by a bit as you poured it quickly. The liquid blended with the coffee you poured in later, making it look like a harmless a cup of coffee. How I wish I could slap it right out of your hand.

 

You weren’t smiling, nor were you frowning. You just stared at the cup, contemplating whether you should do it, before raising it up to our eye level. I took my cup up too, indicating a toast between us.

 

Tik.Tik.

 

"A toast to our friendship and to our memories." You simply said as I tilted the goblet a bit, symbolizing the small clash between the two cups.

  

We both drank our drinks till the last drop before smiling bitterly at each other, as it was a rule between us to drink till the last no matter what. The empty coffee cup now lies on its plate again as my goblet stood right beside my palm.

 

"So, anything else you want to remind me?" I asked him slowly.

 

"Remember me. Don't forget about me. Don't replace me with another friend. Don't-" You mumbled before a sharp pain stabbed your heart.

 

My eyes widened as you tried to mumble a few more words. Your eyes started to droop and your body looked like they lost energy. I continue to stare as you smiled weakly before closing your eyes, even though you tried to keep it open. Your head was tilted backwards with your hair dangling and your arms resting loosely on your lap, just like how you usually take your naps.

 

"Goodbye Daehyun." I whispered.

 

Tik.

Tik.

Tik.

 

I got up from my seat while trying to not shake. The room was still dim and the calendar was still stuck on Monday. The clock still ticked like it has always been and your office outfit was still hanging on your closet.

 

"Maybe I shouldn't have gone to your funeral." I thought as I kept the video recorder you used before leaving your apartment to live the rest of the Tuesday.

 

The room looked the same. The food you ate was still here, the rose you plucked and left in the glass was still here, the book you were reading was still here, everything was still here. Just like when you were here recording this yesterday.

 

 

A/N : idk whether you guys like au's ornot but thank you for reading it! btw, go check out the mv and song because it's really meaningful and awesome!

main pic: ze-lus