going home

Drunk on Writing

“For the two of us, home isn't a place. It is a person. And we are finally home.” (Anna and the French Kiss)
― Stephanie Perkins

Going Home

Kang Daniel

 


 

Kang Daniel never knew that his life could turn fast-paced like this.

It was like yesterday when he didn’t know how his future would bring him. He would practice all day long with two cups of ramen for breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the dark basement of his company.

It was like yesterday when his company threw away his dream, saying “you aren’t good enough to debut”. Those words still dreaded him enough, bringing nightmare to every sleepless nights he had.

It was like yesterday when he feared to go home, seeing how his parents would say “it is okay, you do well for now” eventhough he knew those words couldn’t even gather shattered pieces of his hope. I am such a mess, he thought as he put a fake bright smile. He was even sick with his own smile, so fake until he wanted to throw up.

It was like yesterday.

Kang Daniel was never the type who would ask more. All of the hardships he had been through, taught him how to be happy enough, just enough to glue broken pieces of hope he had left. But now, everything was just too fast-paced and here, he tried to stand tall without having to fall.

He was now standing in the biggest stage he ever had, as the center of this new group. This was what he always wanted and he got it in the end. His hope, his dream, finally could be back into pieces one by one, slowly and slowly. The concert just ended and of course, he couldn’t express how happy he was. Yet, he couldn’t hide how scary this fast-paced life.

“Daniel, when you felt like everything was way too overwhelming, find your home.”

Kang Daniel smiled. The memories came back, just like how the smell of coffee in the morning. Bitter yet warming.

“Home is not just a place, it is also a feeling.”

He smiled again yet there was a tinge of sadness in every corner of his lips. He put out his phone, worrying if he should do it, or not. He battled himself not to do it, yet his hands already dialed someone far away. He bit his fingers, the habit he always had whenever he felt something was right and not right.

“Hello?”

Kang Daniel silenced. The voice he had missed for these several months, it was like a song to to his miserable life. A very sweet song, as sweet as cotton candy.

“Hello, Kang Daniel? Don’t you have a concert right now?”

“Ah, it ended few hours ago,” Daniel still tried to collect all of his sanity.

Silence.

“Ah, I see.” Daniel could hear her sip her drink. Must be coffee. This lady had a habit to drink coffee before she slept. Such a weird habit but that was just one of thousand reasons why Daniel couldn’t help to get her out of his mind.

“Are you busy now?”

“Not at all. Why?”

Silence.

“I need to go home.”