Safety Zone - Ch. 1

Safety Zone - Author's Note

 

Title: Safety Zone - one shot #1 - No Safety 

Characters in this chapter - Shin Sekyung, Infinite's L, Simon (cameo by mystery character muaha)

Summary: It only took a few minutes for Sekyung's world to break, for her to realize that all her life she had been lied to. 

 

Sitting and socializing with her classmates Sekyung waited for her professor to walk in and start lecturing. She was surprised when an unfamiliar face walked in and sat right next to her. Another classmate usually sat there but then again that classmate was usually hung over from partying too hard and was absent often. Scanning his features she immediately noted that he was quite attractive in a statuesque way. His eyes were a piercing golden brown, his nose straight, his lips perfectly pouty and soft, his side profile was overall almost too perfect. Sekyung mentally wondered if his front profile was better than his side. When he was done taking out his notebook and pen he turned to her and smiled. He was. He was definitely more handsome showing his entire face. 

 

"Name's Myungsoo." 

 

"Sekyung. Nice to meet you. Seems like you transferred in a bit late." 

 

"Eh just missed out on the first two months. I'm sure I'll be fine for the rest." 

 

"I've taken notes religiously all throughout the semester so if you need them I can lend them to you for a bit." Nodding he thanked her and smiled. 

 

His smile was radiant in a way that made Sekyung's mind go blank. She's met plenty of attractive guys and dated some of them but it was something about his face, something about his smile that looked so genuine and pure. But as sweet and heavenly as his smile was, there was a darkness, an unexplainable pain and cloudiness in his eyes that threw her off. As deceptive as his smile may be, there was something unspoken in his eyes that he couldn't hide. 

 

Both of their attentions were refocused as their professor arrived and started the lecture. Attentively taking notes Sekyung snuck glances at him, taking in the way he heard the professor's words. She felt this odd feeling, intuition she figured, that told her that he was special, he wasn't just another handsome guy. He was different and she needed to figure out why. 

 

As the hours passed and Sekyung attended the rest of her classes, she was shocked to realize that Myungsoo shared four of her six courses. They share some pleasant small talk, and during lunch she was flocked by her fellow classmates who were in the same major as her. They were all dying to know about him and what he said to her. Most likely a good 90% of them were dying to ask why he talked to her but it's not like she knew. That question was best asked to him not her. 

 

Walking to her dorm on campus she picked up her phone, hearing a familiar voice on the other end. 

 

"Simon oppa! How are you?" Their conversation went on as they shared vague details on how their day went. 

 

"Where are you?" 

 

"Me? Ah It's a secret." 

 

"Ah come on oppa! It's always a secret!" 

 

"Well I wouldn't tell you it is if it wasn't now would I?" 

 

"Tell m e!" 

 

"You gotta guess~" 

 

She could practically hear the smile on his face through the phone. Biting her lower lip in thought she hummed pensively as she opened the door to her dorm. Opening it she dropped her phone, absolutely surprised to see the one and only Simon standing in her room. Simon somehow managed to catch it in time while shutting off his own. Her dorm room was big, with a kitchen, stove, fridge, and among other things. Her dorm building was a renovated hotel so the rooms were well furnished and a luxury compared to all others. 

 

Hugging him she murmured that she was so happy to see him. Ever since she got accepted and into the major she was hoping to spend more time with him but studying to keep up as well as making new friends took more time and energy than she expected. Unwrapping her arms around his rock hard torso she froze as she realized that he was still embracing her, prolonging the hug. Realizing that they had been hugging for quite a while he sheepishly released her while smiling his classic grin. 

 

Putting her school supplies in her room she made her way to the small kitchen. 

 

"Did you eat dinner yet?" She opened up the fridge and looked inside, leaning down to see all of the food she had. 

 

"I was hoping we could catch up over eating out actually. I was thinking some Japanese  would be good." 

 

Glad that she didn't have to cook for him she agreed (she barely had anything in her fridge and she figured that the best she could do was leftover fried rice) and got her coat to go out. Taking his car they shared laughter and nostalgia over their childhood memories together. Their fathers grew up together and in turn raised them together. Simon was a year older and though it took Sekyung a while to join him at school they always lived so close to each other that they had no trouble hanging out. 

 

"Remember that one time when you got me in trouble over, what was his name, Jonghyun I believe? That midget was going around school saying that he seduced you and that you were his. Man he was so annoying and arrogant." 

 

"Well we WERE dating then Oppa. And he's not a midget! I was shorter than him! Still am!" 

 

"Well you're a girl so it's ok for you to be that short. But that little moron always got on my nerves." 

 

"Oppa, ANY guy that showed interest in me annoyed you." 

 

"Still does. So do you have a fan club yet?" 

 

She knew that he was always protective over her when it came to guys. She figured that being a family friend and basically her older brother he had every right to be so. During her first year of high school she somehow managed to get a fan club formed dedicated to her. There were only about ten members, and as flattering as it was, they got too close and personal at times. 

 

"Of course not! I'm just a freshman oppa, and besides there are plenty of other pretty girls in my grade. I hear that we're the most attractive set of freshman girls that Seoul University has accepted." Smiling she nudged him teasingly as he rolled his eyes and sighed. If only she could see how beautiful she is he thought. 

 

"There aren't any sneaky upper classmen hitting on you yet are there?" She could hear the tension in his voice, the over-protectiveness kicking in. 

 

"Well there's a new guy in my grade. He's in most of my classes. He's pretty good looking." She said the last statement half honestly and half provokingly. She always found it reassuring and amusing when he was jealous. 

 

"Who? What's his name? You know what, forget it. You can't date him." 

 

"Oh my gosh I just told you about a guy, doesn't mean he's interested or that we'll end up dating! Yet…" Muttering the last part under her breath she looked over, noticing the veins and muscles on his arms flexing as he kept his hands on the wheel. They bickered like this often, mainly over her studies and boys. 

 

"We're here. And my answer to this guy is still no." Opening his door he quickly opened up her door as she got out. 

 

"Well it's not like it's up to you to decide who I can date or not. I decide, and besides, you're not my mom or dad. You can't tell me what to do." She stopped in front of his car, refusing to make way to the restaurant until they settled this argument. 

 

"That's funny you mention that because they trust me with taking care of you, and that just HAPPENS to include keeping you safe from messed up guys who wouldn't hesitate to you if you refused to sleep with them again!" 

 

She was shaking out of anger. He never yelled at her this intensely, let alone mention the word to her again. Ever since that incident he swore that he'd never utter it again. 

 

Until today it seems. The word unlocked a barrage of unpleasant memories: the sensation of a guy's hand gripping her arms too tightly above her head, the sharp nudge of a knee opening up her legs, the fear and dread creeping through her as she felt her underwear being slowly slid down. Turning and walking away she hid her nose and mouth with her hand as tears overflowed down her face. He promised, he said he'd never mention this again even when they fought about the guys that she dated. And he kept that promise well until today. Before she could cross the street blindly he pulled her in and hugged her, saving her from getting hit by a car. 

 

Burying her head in his wide chest she quietly sobbed. As grateful as she was that he saved her that day, it damaged her just as much. It took her years to stop being paranoid about guys who were interested in her, that all they wanted to do was her. The worst part was that the guy spread rumors that she was asking for it, that she had already given him a before he got started, and that Simon was just a blocker. The malicious stares and bullying she got was hard to deal with but with some therapy and his help she managed to lock the pain away and move on. Simon crooned an apology repeatedly as he tried to comfort her. He crossed the line saying those words, but he couldn't help it. If he had been five minutes late she would have been broken, she would have been in a state too far from healing and closure. 

 

Walking her back towards his car he stopped and leaned down as he wiped away her tears. He hated it when she cried, and it killed him when he was the cause. If it was another guy the solution was always simple but not when it was himself. 

 

"I'm sorry for saying that Sekyung-ah. I'm just worried about you, you know that." His low and husky voice, as well as his warm chocolate eyes conveyed an unspoken request of forgiveness as he continued to wipe away her tears. 

 

"I know, I just wish you didn't say that. It hurts remembering, you know?" 

 

Letting out a watery laugh she smiled despite knowing that she looked like a mess at this point, her eyes and face swollen and red from the waterworks. Nodding he hugged her again, regretting how this was going. He just wanted to see her again, and being away from her for a second was painful enough as it is, but reopening a scar still not fully healed was mean of him to do. 

 

Washing her face with some cold water to reduce the swelling and to calm herself down Sekyung reapplied some mascara and walked out of the bathroom. Making way back to their seats in the restaurant, she was delighted to see that there was some sushi on their table already. It was different compared to what she usually ordered but knowing that Simon is half Japanese, he would only choose the best. The waitress came by a few minutes later and they ordered some yaki udon for her and some donkatsu for him. 

 

They were eating and enjoying their meal when Simon got a text. Reading it his facial expression immediately darkened. 

 

"What's wrong? Is it one of your friends?" 

 

She knew that since high school he gained a new group of friends, she even flirted with a couple of them. Nodding he quickly stuffed the rest of his food in his mouth before getting a to-go box and paying at the register. He always somehow had the money to pay for when they ate, and despite him telling her to take her time, she knew that he was in a hurry. Putting the food in the styrofoam box they thanked their waitress and made way to his car. 

 

He was silent and stoic the entire ride back. It was the most awkward 15 minutes she ever spent with him. There were a couple times that he was like this but she never minded. He had some issues too personal for her to know about and frankly she knew that her parents kept some secrets from her so all these secrets and their existence was something she was used to. She knew that these secrets existed for her safety and she didn't have to question why too many times for her to realize that it was for her own good. 

 

Instead of dropping her off at her dorm like Sekyung though he would, he merely parked in a semi-empty parking lot and told her to stay put. Seeing him run off made her wish that he had just given her a ride home. Texting her classmates and friends she tried to pass time but she was too bored. Curious as to what Simon was up to she got out of the car and went in the direction that SImon sprinted off. Luckily she wasn't wearing heels in this cold weather that was slowly transitioning from winter to spring, she wore leather heel-less boots that went up to her ankles. As she walked and tried to search for Simon's voice, she quieted her steps when she heard his voice. 

 

Sneaking behind a tree she came upon a park. No one was around considering that it was past 10pm. She saw Simon talking to Myungsoo. She was surprised, she didn't know the two knew each other. From the way they talked and their facial expressions it seemed like they knew each other a lot better than she thought. She saw Jinwoon, Kikwang and Doojoon standing not too far behind Simon. On Myungsoo's side she saw a pretty girl who looked like she had better things to do. She noticed that there were a couple other handsome men on Myungsoo's side. Their eyes also looked pretty antagonistic. Was a gang fight going on? 

 

Sekyung got an answer to her question when she saw Simon strip off his shirt and roar, quickly transforming into a werewolf. She froze to see Myungsoo bare his elongated canines and pull out a bo staff. She couldn't comprehend what was going on as the two fought each other. Simon or the monster that Simon turned into managed to break the bo staff into pieces quite early in the skirmish. Looking at the people on either side she was too close to screaming at them, asking them to stop this. 

 

Just when Simon and Myungsoo had each other's throats in each other's hands, she heard bones break and couldn't just stand by and watch as her Simon oppa was dying. Coming out from behind the tree the word "STOP!" was shouted. She felt like she was having an out-of-body experience, the way she barely felt herself say that word. And as soon as that word left everyone's gaze was on her. Myungsoo's red eyes turned back to being golden brown and Simon released his grip. Seeing Simon shift back into his human form she looked away briefly due to him being . She peeked at him to see Jinwoon give Simon a blanket to cover himself up. No longer shielding her eyes she looked at Myungsoo, and then to Simon. 

 

"What's going on?"