Chapter One

Where Stars Shine Brightest

September 23, 2007 / 9:37 AM 

Fan never had a problem dealing with customers. In fact, his record had always been clean—but you can never be sure when it comes down to the female populations; Fan learnt it the hard way. He glances up and down rapidly between his watch and the tipsy woman who seemed like she just had a bad break up. He was running late.

"—Where do you think you're going! Go find a bigger size for this shirt! No? There's none? You think I'm fat?!" 

"Hyung," Fan tapped a shoulder of a co-worker and frowned with anxiety, "Can you handle this for me? I really need to go right now." 

"Did your shift end already?" The older blinked and tilted his head to look at the furious woman behind him. 

"7 minutes and 45 seconds ago—I'll take that as a yes!" He subconsciously shouted a thank you in Cantonese and dashed out into the staff room, leaving a stream of curse words from the woman behind him and quickly changed into casual clothings. He stumbled into his sneaker, grabbed his bag, and rushed out of the mall.

 

September 23, 2007 / 9:55 AM 

Rain poured down the Seoul's sky mercilessly, and as Fan finally found himself slowing down around the SM building at last, he was already drenched from head to toe. He panted and rummaged his bag for the key when someone suddenly pulled the backdoor and he tumbled. The floor greeted him with a red nose.

"Oh, hey." A soft voice greeted nonchalantly, as if nothing'd happened. She crouched down before him and tilted her head, "Need some help?"

Fan almost did a double trip at the sight of her big brown eyes. It was big, not the Circle lenses kind of big, but the type that made you think this-is-freaky big. She had pale skin with long red hair and blonde dip dyes, her full lips was painted red but her face was rid of makeup.

He stood up and towered above her for almost 5 inches with his dark skin and soaked black hair, but she said nothing and focused on his nose instead. "Rudolph the red nosed reindeer," She hummed and chuckled, picking up her black umbrella as she walked pass him and raised a hand, "See you around." She didn't take a second look at Fan, and neither did him when he darted up the stairs as the clock ticked 9:59. 

"Oh Fan, you lucky bastard." Junmyeon, an old trainee and a close friend of his smirked and snickered. Fan shook his head as he sat down beside him in a corner and pulled off his wet hoodies.

"Wu Yifan." Only three seconds after he was able to breath, the instructor called his name and he took a deep breath, "Here!" 

The trainees got dismissed soon after and separated to go to different schedules. Fan stayed in the room with Junmyeon and a bunch of other trainees for vocal class as they waited for the coach to arrive. "Did you get distracted by some hot girls off the street?" Junmyeon teased.

"Freaky would describe her better." He shook his head again but never explained the incident to his friend.