01

Slides and Swings

 

Hyosung hated the first day of school. Not only did she have to get both of her son’s lunches ready, but she also had to make sure they didn’t spill their breakfasts on their brand new uniforms which seemed to be a lot more difficult than she anticipated. Things were a little more difficult because Junhong was entering kindergarten this year and Jongup was entering first grade.

 

She had gotten married right out of college and was practically confined to the house to take care of the kids and other housewife duties she was supposed to attend to but she really didn’t mind. Sure, she missed work, but her baby boys were worth the world and more to her and she would do anything to make sure they had a comfortable life and a mother to love them.

 

“Jonguppie! Make sure your brother doesn’t spill his cereal on his new shirt, and go put both of your shoes on!” Hyosung rushed to pack both the boys’ bags, glancing at the clock every few minutes to make sure she would get them to their first day of school on time. She smiled as a quiet Jongup struggled with putting on Junhong’s shoes for him.

 

“Umma, I can’t tie his laces right...” Jongup mumbled and looked up at his mother’s smiling face.

 

“It’s okay Jonguppie, you just have to make his laces like little bunny ears... see? And then cross them and knot it. We can practice when you get home.” Hyosung quickly tied Junhong’s laces and helped Jongup with his, putting their backpacks on for them before putting her own shoes on. “Let’s walk now, okay? Make sure you hold my hand the entire time.”

 

A soft sniffle was heard from her youngest child and she looked down to see Junhong with tears streaming down his face. She crouched down in concern and wiped the tears away with the pads of her thumb, kissing the top of his head. “Baby, what’s wrong? Are you scared?”

 

“W-What if everyone hates me? Or won’t p-play with me?” Junhong held onto his umma’s hand tightly, refusing to look at her. She was about to respond when a quiet voice on the other side of her piped up.

 

“If you’re nice and you smile, you’ll make lots and lots of friends. And even if you don’t, you always have me to be your bestest friend.” Jongup looked over at his younger brother and gave him a small smile. Junhong nodded and smiled back and Hyosung beamed in pride, shuffling both of her kids out the door and to school, kissing them both on the foreheads before waving goodbye.

Jongup dropped his brother off at his classroom before shuffling off to his first grade classroom, slightly unsure of where to go. He pulled out a little slip of paper that showed his classroom number but still walked around the hallways in a daze, not even realizing that he had bumped into someone until they cleared their throat. Jongup looked up to see a taller raven-haired boy with dark eyes staring down at him.

 

“You’re supposed to say excuse me.”

 

“I-I’m sorry.” Jongup looked down, unsure what else to say. “I didn’t mean to… I mean… Excuse me.” He was turning around to go down the corridor when the older boy called for him to stop.

 

“You look lost, and I’m feeling kind of nice today so let me help you out! I’m Himchan.” The older boy snatched the piece of paper that Jongup had practically crumpled in nervousness, opening it up and laughing quietly before pointing the younger in the right direction. “Ms. Lee really is the best first grade teacher, you’re lucky to have her… What was your name?”

 

“Jongup. Moon Jongup.” Jongup looked up at Himchan once more before giving him a small but awkward smile.

 

“Maybe I’ll see you around Moon Jongup.” Himchan smiled slightly before his face returned back to a cold stare, turning around and walking down to a classroom at the end of the hall. The second bell rang and Jongup let out a groan as he practically ran to his classroom, bowing profusely to his teacher and taking his seat in the middle next to a kid with large glasses.

 

 The day went by quickly enough and soon enough, it was lunchtime. All the kids scrambled in line by the door to go to the playground, Jongup quietly moving to the back of the line. As everyone left to the swings, Jongup tiptoed to the kindergarten classroom to check on his baby brother. As he peeked into the window, he saw his brother sharing his grapes with another girl and decided he was good on his own, turning around and practically collapsing in shock as he saw the same boy from before.

 

“What are you doing here?” The question escaped from Jongup’s lips before he thought about what he was saying and almost flinched when Himchan glared at him.

 

“I could ask you the same thing! Aren’t you too old to be a kindergartner anyways? I thought you were in Ms. Lee’s class…” Himchan furrowed his brow in confusion, looking over to the smaller boy for an explanation.

 

“My little brother…” Jongup pointed to the classroom and then looked back to Himchan who understood immediately.

 

“Right. Well I’m hall monitor and I’m supposed to get little boys like you in trouble for staying in the school when you’re should be outside playing! But… I like you, so you won’t feel my wrath today.” Himchan motioned to the other to walk with him, holding the door open for Jongup when they reached outside.

 

“H-Himchan hyung, what grade are you in?” Jongup finally managed to get the courage to ask the older what had been on his mind the whole time.

 

“Grade three.” Himchan stepped outside with the younger, his hand placed on Jongup’s shoulder. “I think I can come play for a few minutes.” Himchan boldly took the younger’s hand and started pulling him to the playground, darting for the two open swings. “We can race each other!”

 

“Hyung.. Are you sure you won’t get in trouble or anything?” Jongup hopped to sit on the swing, his feet unable to touch the ground.

 

“The person in charge of the hall monitors is my bestest friend so I can get away with hanging out with my new friend.” Jongup managed to catch Himchan smiling and felt comfortable with the other.

 

Turns out that Jongup couldn’t really start swinging until Himchan got off his swing to push him, but the two of them had fun together that lunch until the bell rang for both of them to go back to class. Himchan had even walked Jongup all the way back to his class, and the two waved bye to each other before Jongup plopped into his seat with a small smile on his face.

 

His first friend wasn’t even in his own grade, but there was something about Himchan that made him smile. 


A/N - Sorry this you guys. I just really needed to write a Himup because my writing has been so forced lately and this was the only thing that came naturally to me. Please comment and let me know if you like it or not T^T 

here, have a cute himup gif