First and Last

A Goodbye Kiss

 

This happened when I had just graduated from a medical school. I was attached to the General Hospital in Seoul. It was my first day and I was under a lot of pressure since I was the youngest doctor there.

What made matters worse was that the first major operation. I repeated ‘MAJOR’. The operation I had to perform was to be on my old flame – Oh Hana.

Oh Hana and I used to go out when we were studying together in our medics school. I fell head over heels with her. However, she didn’t feel the same way about me. Though we had dated many times, she didn’t even let me kiss her. It was heart breaking. We broke up and I never saw her again… until I saw her on the hospital bed.

Oh Hana was as beautiful as ever but she was now deathly ill. Her face was thin and pale but all that just added a fragile, vulnerable aura to her.

Everybody knews her operation was very tricky. It was touch and go. Even the head of the hospital too acknowledge this and I was told to go in there and “try my best”.

I spoke to Oh Hana the night before the operation, but she was under heavy medication. We talked of old times for a while, carefully skirting the issue of the operation the next day. Soon the medicine made her sleep.

I sat there looking at her form for a while. Looking at that sleeping beautiful face. At those irrestible lips I had never kissed. I wonder if any guy had kissed it before. I vowed I would do all I could to save her.

However, vows are to no avail when medical science is limited by man’s ability. There were complications in the bypass and Oh Hana slipped away.

Leaving the operating theatre, I felt as if something in me had died as well. Weak and trembling, I sat alone at my desk.

I’m not the guy who like to cry but this one time I’m not ashamed to say I wept. ”Why? Why?” I asked the Great One while pleading on my knees.

I was exhausted after performing that gruelling six hour operation and I guess I must have passed out from fatigue.

Later, in the wee hour of the dawn, as the first grey light of the day was creeping in through my window, I felt a strange presence in the room. It was undoubtedly a supernatural presence but it felt warm and familiar.

My eyes starting to tearing up when suddenly I felt lips kissing away the tears. Starting from my eyes and slowly get down to my mouth. It stays long. And in my mind eyes, I saw Oh Hana.

I awake with a start but the room was bare. I didn’t see her anywhere. But in my heart, I knew she had been here.

Now I realize that I finally got a kiss from her, but it was a goodbye kiss. A kiss goodbye. Why did it have to end this way? I never wanted it to end this way.

And like this, I cry and cry…

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tic Toc :

ANYEONG ! Ahhh I finally finish this chapter ;) Its a oneshot story so i know its kinda short and maybe dissapointing . But I'll try my best kay ? Hehe . I hope you guys enjoy reading it ;)