1/1

Never too Young For Love

It is 12.43am, if there are any typos. I'm sorry, I'm to tired to proof read.


The creaking of the swing seemed to drown out the sounds of the joyous laughter that filled the hot, summer air as a pair of short, chubby legs kicked forward as hard as they could before swinging back, small fingers curling around the warm metal chains as the small child leaned back to get the full swing of motion.

“U…uh… ‘scuse me…. This one taken?”

The boy dug his heels into the ground, coming to a stop as he looked up in surprise. With a glance, he looked down the whole line of empty swings before looking back to the one directly on his right, “Uhm… I guess not…” he said, watching as the brown haired boy ducked his head down to hide the light smile upon his face as he quickly shuffled over and hopped up into the swing, kicking against the ground as he began to gently rock back and forth.

It wasn’t every day Yoo Youngjae actually got to swing next to someone. In fact, ever since he started school, every day at recess he’d always find himself alone on one of the swings near the end of the line as he watched the other kids run around and play.

“I… like your hair…” the boy said quickly, looking up and ing out his hand to extend in the small space between the two swings, “I’m Jung Daehyun.”

“Yoo Youngjae…” He reached out, slowly shaking hands with Daehyun before going a bit cross-eyed to look at his own, very blonde hair. “And… Thanks… I guess… Umma does peoples hair… and sometimes she gets bored.” Youngjae turned back in his swing to face the front, watching as the other kids ran about, playing games within their own groups.

“Well…. It’s… uh… It’s cute?”

Youngjae let his feet drag against the ground once more, kicking up dirt as he did so. He turned quickly to the brown headed boy, pouting, “Boys aren’t supposed to be cute!”

Daehyun stared back at Youngjae, his big eyes wide, “Why not?” He asked.

“C…Cause… uhm… only girls can be cute!” Youngjae said, turning to face the front as he kicked against the ground.

“Bleck! Girls have cooties though!”

Youngjae couldn’t help the small giggle at Daehyun’s comment. “Okay, girls are pretty icky.”

Daehyun smiled, “See, because girls are icky, I’ll just call you cute and not them…”

Youngjae sighed heavily, puffing out his chubby cheeks, “Just ‘member… One day, I’ll be super tall and everything like my Appa, and you can never call me cute again…”

Daehyun laughed, muffling the sound with his small hand, “But until then?”

“Until then, it’ll be okay…”

 

That day, Youngjae was sad when the whistle that signaled the end of recess washed over where he and Daehyun were still swinging with one another. Even though he knew he had never seen the brown haired boy in the Firefly room, Youngjae was hoping that he had just merely looked over the others presence and that they were actually in the same class.

Unfortunately, no matter how many times the five year old wished for his new friend to be in the same class, he had to watch as Daehyun left his side to line up with the rest of the kids from the Bumblebee room. He sighed heavily, his chubby cheeks puffing out with the air as he crossed his arms and pouted the whole way as they walked single file to the classroom. It wasn’t fair, his teacher was constantly telling him not to be so shy around the other kids in his classroom and make friends, and when he finally made one, he is in the stupid Bumblebee room. That was just Youngjae’s luck.

At least Fireflies and Bumblebee’s always had the same recess, Youngjae reminded himself as he headed straight over to the table with all of the art supplies on it as soon as they got back into the class room. Grabbing as many of the unbroken crayons his chubby fingers could hold, Youngjae then picked up a blank sheet of paper from the stack and found a quite place to draw, his tongue sticking between his teeth as he concentrated on the drawing.

When the final bell rang, signaling the time to head to the front gates to go home, Youngjae was the first out of the door, his blonde hair bouncing around his face as he jumped up and down in the crowd, looking for the brown head of hair.

“Dae~!!” Youngjae practically ran into the boy as the other walked along the halls, his head ducked down much like it had been earlier at recess. “I drew you something!” Youngjae the carefully folded, but still lopsided, piece of paper, “Don’t look at it ‘til you get home, kay?!” he shouted, grinning at the other before hurrying through the crowd towards the gate where his mother stood waiting for him.

 

The padding of small feet was the only sound in the hallway as Youngjae paced up and down the narrow path, his chubby fingers picking at the hem of his uniform. With each pass by the doorway, Youngjae would pause briefly to stare into the room before continuing with his pacing.

“Youngjae, no matter how many times you look at me, it is not going to make time go by any faster.”

“But Umma!!” Youngjae whined, running back down the hallway and throwing himself around the corner and into his mother’s bedroom.

She sighed softly, kneeling down to Youngjae’s eye level, “Look, Jae baby, I am so happy  that you are actually excited to go to school today, but, Umma needs to get ready for work…” she ruffled his blonde hair, “Why don’t you go watch cartoons, and as soon as I finish getting ready, We’ll head out, how does that sound?” She couldn’t help but laugh lightly at her sons pout, “Oh, c’mon Youngjae~ Cartoons will make the time go by faster~” She added.

Instantly, Youngjae’s face lit up with a wide smile as he took off to the living room, turning on the TV and flopping onto the floor in front of it to watch the mindless cartoons.

However focused he seemed to be on the TV, it was clear there was only one thing on his mind as his mom finally exited her room. “Umma!! Umma, can we go~ Can we go now, plu-leeeease!!” He begged, barely to his feet before he was already running down the hallway towards his mom.

“Okay, okay Mr. Impatient pants. Yes we can go now…” His mom said, leaning down to grab her shoes as she giggled at her son, who was taking the time to exam his uniform pants to see what exactly his mother was talking about.

 

Youngjae practically ran through the gates to the school, shouting a “Bye Umma, see’ya later!” Over his shoulder without so much as a goodbye hug for his mother as he took off to the playground where the kids would be gathered, playing and talking before school officially started. He narrowed his eyes, scanning over the few students that were already there. With a heavy sigh, his shoulders drooped as he shuffled over to the swings and hopped up into the one he sat in every day. He pushed himself back and forth, pouting as he stared at the ground.

Daehyun should have been there. Sure, before the weekend break, Youngjae hadn’t told the older that he’d be there early that morning, but… still. Usually his Umma was still trying to drag him out of bed right about now. All Youngjae wanted to do was hang out with Daehyun before school started and they had to go to their separate classes.

“Yah! Blondie, what do you think you’re doing?”

Youngjae’s head snapped up quickly, his eyes widening as a much older boy walked over, his black hair was styled neatly, framing his pale face as he stood in front of the swings and crossed his arms. Youngjae let his feet drag against the ground as he came to a stop and stared at the elder. Maybe it was just because the kid was older than him, but something about the intense glare made Youngjae wish that he was back home and in his bed.

“Y… yeah?”

“That’s my swing.”

Youngjae pouted, “No it’s not!” He said quickly, his tiny fists gripping onto the metal chains that held up the seat. “ ‘sides, there are plenty other ones for you to sit on.”

“Yah! You little punk-“

“Kim Himchan!”

If just the first kid’s eyes had frightened Youngjae, just the mere, too deep for the average eight year old, voice of the other third grader almost made the young kid wet himself.

“Bang Yongguk, leave me alone!” The black haired kid said with a roll of his eyes. He suddenly yelped as the other third grader suddenly hoisted him up and over his shoulder, locking his arms around the back of Himchan’s knees to keep him in place as the other boy pounded upon his back, “Put me down, you’re messing up my hair!!”

With a gummy smile, the deep voiced elder looked at Youngjae, “He won’t bother you anymore, okay? Just… go back to swinging…”

Youngjae watched in confusion as Yongguk carried off a still screeching Himchan, laughing the whole way.

“Whoa… You talk to the big kids?”

Youngjae looked over, a grin spreading across his face as he watched Daehyun hop up into the swing next to him, “Noooo~” he said, laughing at the thought, “I think the hyungs are just crazy…”

Daehyun laughed lightly, trying to hide the giggle behind his hand.

“Mmm, don’t do that, kay?” Youngjae said, reaching across the small space between the swings to push Daehyun’s hand from his mouth, “If you get to call me cute, I get to hear you laugh.”

Daehyun blushed lightly, nodding a little, “Okay.”

 

Each day seemed to blend into the next for Youngjae, time flying by much too quickly for his liking as the end of the school year approached. At first he was sad that school was ending for the summer break, but, the thought of being able to spend more time with Daehyun was always on his mind as him and the elder had become practically attached at the hip to the point the teachers were already making plans to move them into the same class for the next school year.

Every morning, Youngjae arrived at school early and waited on the swings for Daehyun. Every few days, Himchan would wander over to bug him, but before much could be said, Yongguk would always appear and carry the other off, despite the constant insults and threats that the eight year old could throw at his friend.

Youngjae’s life had settled into a pattern, and to be completely honest, the five year old had never been happier.

 

 

“Hey…. Jae… remember when we first met?”

Youngjae looked up from where he had been spaced out, staring at the new kid in school who had managed to skip two grades and was now chasing around the school’s lovably innocent kid, Jongup.

“Hmm… of course…” Youngjae said, looking over at Daehyun. It had been three years now since the elder had come into his life and a lot had changed since that moment. Youngjae wasn’t as quiet and reserved in class as he had been in kindergarten, and he didn’t spend recess alone anymore, instead he and Daehyun sat in the same swings they had on that first day. Of course, now they had to flip the swing around the top bar a few times to raise the seat high enough so their feet didn’t drag across the ground, but, despite the small set back, it was as though nothing had ever changed. “I chased you down after the final bell and gave you that god awful drawing…”

Daehyun pouted, “Yah! I still have that apparently god awful drawing, thank you very much.”

Youngjae laughed loudly, “Seriously, Dae? It was a yellow blob holding hands with a brown blob…”

“And they were amazing blobs.” Daehyun said, laughing along with Youngjae as they both thought back fondly on the memory of their first day spent together. It felt like nothing had changed since that day, despite both of them being quite a lot taller now (although, Daehyun still picked on Youngjae about the fact that he was taller than the younger and had yet to stop calling him ‘cute’) and Youngjae no longer had his hair blonde, instead it was a nice burgundy shade.

“You know… I never did thank you for letting me sit with you…”

Youngjae turned, looking over at Daehyun, raising an eyebrow, “Alright, stop being so sappy, Daehyun…” he said, reaching over and pushing the other lightly, “What did you expect me to do… Tell you that you couldn’t swing?”

“Yup.”

With a roll of his eyes, Youngjae pressed his feet into the ground to give himself a hard push, “Dork.” He said, rocking back as he gripped the warm metal chains. “Bet I can still swing higher then you!” He called, laughter in his voice as Daehyun immediately back up and began to swing also, matching Youngjae’s pace.

The swinging contest grew into a jumping contest, as both Youngjae and Daehyun launched themselves from the swings to see who could jump out of them the farthest. Laughter caught them mid air and by the time they landed on the grass, they collapsed against one another in fits of laughter.

“We’re third graders now, Dae! We need to grow up and stop swinging!” Youngjae said after he caught his breath, trying his hardest to sound grown up.

Daehyun merely laughed, reaching up and poking Youngjae’s chubby cheek, “Yeah, you have fun with that; I’m not ready to grow up.”

Youngjae grabbed a fist full of grass, throwing it at Daehyun, “Well fine, we'll just sit on the swings for the rest of our lives, cause I’m not growing up without you.”

Before Daehyun could respond, the two kids Youngjae had been intently watching earlier ran past, the elder in the lead with a wide grin upon his face as the younger chased after him, making grabby hands the whole time as he shouted, “Zelo-bot just wants a hug!”

Daehyun and Youngjae made eye contact before collapsing upon one another in laughter once more.

 

Life had a funny way of bringing together two people that completed each other, whether it is through friendship or something more.

Maybe eight years old was too early of an age for one to understand the concept of a soul mate, but as Youngjae pulled Daehyun closer before tackling him into the grass, play wrestling with the elder, Youngjae was sure of one thing:

No matter what, Jung Daehyun would always be his best friend.

 


 

Aish, I'm sorry if this is terrible and not what you guys expected, XP I was just in the mood to write baby!bap fluff, and... yup... I orginally had a whole lot more interaction of BangHim/JongLo, but... in the end, I just wanted to write DaeJae (and that is surprising how?). I'm serious, this couple has my feels all over the place.

Anyways, My mom has a doctors app tomorrow, so... I might get online in the morning and update my other fics. Until then, Love you all!

Cuddles,

Lynn