The Sleepwalker

Sleepwalker

Hoya's eyes shot open.

He quickly sat up from his bed, eyes straining to adjust in the dark, ears trying to listen for unusual sounds. He thought he had heard something in his sleep again. He pulled the blanket up to cover himself, despite sweat trickling down his back. His head quickly whipped from side to side, his eyes rapidly scanning the room up and down, checking for any… unusual activity.

And at that moment, he heard them again.

The soft sound of what seemed to be footsteps, as if someone was making their way into the kitchen.

He thought they were free. They recently moved into yet another new dorm, their CEO finally complying after they have complained over and over again that there was a ghost in their previous dorm. This same ghost that, apparently, followed them all the way over here.

Hoya quickly scrambled to get out of bed, wrestling with the blanket that got stuck to his right leg, as he frantically tried to make his way to Dongwoo, who is in deep sleep on the other side of the room. He set one foot down on the floor as he kicked the blanket off, and stumbled as noiselessly as possible to Dongwoo's bed.

"Dongwoo! Dongwoo, wake up!!!" Hoya hissed violently as he shook Dongwoo awake. Dongwoo merely grunted and turned his back on Hoya, covering his whole body with the blanket. Hoya, frustrated, yanked the blanket off of Dongwoo, who then curled up in a fetal position.

"Ya, this is important! It's the ghost again!" Hoya whispered directly into Dongwoo's ear as he shook him. Dongwoo finally sat up, grunting and groaning, as he groggily opened one eye to look up at Hoya.

"What are you talking about? What ghost?"

"Ssssh!" Hoya suddenly clamped his hand over Dongwoo's mouth, as they both held their breath and listened for the sound. The distinct sound of footsteps, getting louder and louder and louder, until it stopped right in front of their door.

Both Hoya and Dongwoo's eyes widened in fear, staring at the door as if they were going to bore a hole into it.

And then whatever it was retreated, its footsteps getting softer and softer, as it walked away from their door. Hoya and Dongwoo sighed in relief.

"What was that?" Dongwoo asked, still in a whisper, as they didn't want to risk making whatever it was come back. Hoya shook his head in response.

"I really don't know. But that thing has been with us since the old dorm. It never went away; it follows us everywhere!"

"What? How come I didn't know about this?"

Hoya rolled his eyes. "You sleep so soundly. We can pour cold water on you and you still wouldn't wake up. It's actually a miracle I got you to get up tonight."

Suddenly, Hoya's phone vibrated from the nightstand, making both Hoya and Dongwoo jump up in surprise and fear.

"I-It's just my phone…" Hoya whispered in a shaky voice as he reached for it, reading the text message. It was from Sungjong, who is staying in the room beside theirs. "Hyung, did you hear those footsteps? It followed us again! T_T"

Hoya replied in the affirmative, and then looked at Dongwoo, before pushing him towards the door. "You go check!"

Dongwoo skittered back to the bed, but Hoya kept pushing him towards the door. "Why me?!" Dongwoo snapped as he tried to fight against Hoya, but to no avail.

"Because you're the oldest in this room!"

"By a few months! You don't even call me hyung, we're technically the same age!"

"But you're still older!!!!"

As the two were still arguing, Sungjong, who was sitting in his bed wrapped up in his blankets in the other room, shakily tiptoed to the door and locked it, before all but running back to the bed to dive under the sheets once more.

"Maybe we should hire an exorcist tomorrow… or a priest, or a monk, or something…" Sungjong practically whispered to himself as he shook under the blankets, his whole body covered leaving only a small hole for him to peek out of.

Meanwhile, in the largest room, its occupants were sound asleep, the sound of footsteps drowned out by Sungyeol's snoring. Suddenly, a loud crash was heard from the kitchen, which made Sunggyu immediately sit up from the bed.

"What the hell, it's back?!" He hissed to himself as he stared in the general direction of the kitchen, but making no move to get out of bed. He knew it wasn't a burglar; it couldn't be. Thieves couldn't rob this place even if they wanted to. So the only logical reason was to assume that it was indeed the ghost, or whatever the hell it was.

He dove back under his covers, trying to drown out the sound by lulling himself to sleep through listening to Sungyeol's steady snoring. When that didn't work, he grabbed his phone off the nightstand and texted Woohyun, too scared to get out of bed and go to his room despite it being just a few steps away.

"Ya, did you hear that? Whatever that is followed us again!"

He received a reply after a few moments. "I know. I hear it too. You should go check, you're the leader! You need to protect us! T_T"

"Are you crazy!? I'm not about to go in there and check! What if it's a murderer?! Do you want me to die!?"

"If it was a murderer, it would have murdered us years ago! This is the same exact routine every night; footsteps, more footsteps, and then a crash! And tomorrow, when we wake up, we'll find that yet another glass in the kitchen has been broken!"

Sure enough, the following day, all seven members scrambled to the kitchen and found yet another glass broken. Just like every night.

"I really think we should call a priest or something to bless this place. Or an exorcist. Or whatever." Sungjong commented while staring at the broken glass, scared out of his wits but not wanting to show it. All 6 members agreed.

After making the necessary arrangements, the monk that they had hired to bless the place came in the afternoon. The members watched as he performed rituals, smothered the place with incense and some kind of holy water, and mumbled some prayers, before finishing up an hour later. They bowed and thanked the monk, and even though they were suffocating in the incense, no one dared to open any windows in case anything should not be 'purified'.

"We'll see what happens tonight." Sunggyu declared hopefully, to which everyone agreed.

That night, everyone went to bed as usual, except in higher spirits this time. Because of the exorcism that was performed, they were sure that the spirit/ghost/whatever the heck it was would be gone now. Why didn't they think of this idea before? And sure enough, a few hours into the night, all of the members are sleeping soundly in their respective rooms, with only Sungyeol's snoring as the background music in their room.

However, as the clock struck twelve, sure enough without fail, footsteps were heard once more. Hoya, who is a somewhat light sleeper, groaned and sat up. He was slowly getting used to this; it seems as though the exorcism didn't work at all. He sighed and rubbed his temples, and slowly getting out of bed, he crept to the door and put his ear up to it to listen for sounds.

The footsteps shuffled to the living room, and then a 'flop' sound. A few seconds later, something fell down from the coffee table, and then after another few seconds of silence, mumbled speech and laughter.

The damn thing had the TV.

His heart thumping in fear, he crept back to Dongwoo's bedside and shook him awake. Dongwoo, who had been expecting such a thing, immediately sat up. He followed Hoya as he beckoned him to go closer to the door, and together they listened for the sounds.

Suddenly, the footsteps seemed to retreat from the living room, leaving the television . Then they both froze as they heard the footsteps seemingly nearing their door, and then…

Scratching.

Distinct sounds of nails scratching upon wood.

Their wooden door.

Dongwoo and Hoya immediately backed away from the door, even falling and tripping on each other in the process, as they all but screamed while retreating into the furthest wall in the corner of the room, holding each other as they stared in horror at the door, waiting for it to open. The scratching sounds continued relentlessly. Hoya grabbed his phone from the nightstand and texted Sungjong in the other room, who texted back saying that he could hear it too. 

"Dongwoo… If the spirit comes to take my soul away, I just want to tell you that you're a really great rapper and that you can continue INFINITE-H without me, okay? J-just call it INFINITE-D or something." Hoya whispered in a shaky voice as he continued to tremble, holding onto Dongwoo's shirt even tighter.

"Same for me too… If he takes my soul away, INFINITE-H can just mean 'INFINITE-Hoya' instead of 'INFINITE-Hip Hop'…"

The scratching sounds then stopped, and for a few seconds Dongwoo and Hoya held their breaths. And then, something that sounded like a long sigh or letting out of breath, and then footsteps stepping away from the door. Both Dongwoo and Hoya let out their breaths in short gasps, still holding on tightly to each other, not daring to move as they realised they had just stared death in the face and survived.

Sungjong, on the other hand, was silently hiding in his blankets and praying to all the gods he knew to protect him and to "please oh please don't let it near my door." He had already texted Sunggyu and warned him, who then immediately ran into Woohyun's room and stayed with him in there. Sungyeol on the other hand was still snoring and happily in dreamland, while Sunggyu saw that Myungsoo seemed to be buried in the blankets, still sleeping soundly, when he whisked past his bed.

"What the heck is that creature? The exorcism didn't work!" Sunggyu declared in frustration as he camped beside Woohyun's door, his right ear pressing against it. Woohyun stayed in bed, wrapped in his blankets, as he merely stared and waited and kept his ears open for any sound.

"I don't even know… I don't think it's a spirit! But it can't be a human either, what motive do they have for coming in here every night ? To scare the living crap out of us? To break all our glasses? They even the TV! Who would be messing with us? Wouldn't the security in this building be high? What if it's one of our neighbours?" Woohyun shot one question after the other as he pondered the situation half to himself and half to Sunggyu. Sunggyu shushed him as he pressed his ear against the door harder. The footsteps were, once again, going to the kitchen.

"…And a glass breaks in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1." As Sunggyu had counted, sure enough, a glass dropped and shattered right on time. It never failed to do that.

And then, the footsteps suddenly led to the bathroom. After a few minutes, a flush was heard as the creature closed the door rather loudly.

"Well, at least it's a polite ghost." Woohyun attempted at a joke as he heard the flushing sound. Sunggyu ignored him as his eyes widened.

"Ya! He's opening the door to my room!"

Both boys held their breaths, afraid to make any sound lest the creature know they were still awake. They both heard more footsteps, then shuffling of blankets, and then total silence.

Soon enough, after a few seconds of straining to listen for any sounds, the whole room was dead silent except for Sungyeol's snoring.

There was no other sign of the creature.

Sunggyu slowly opened the door, peering around carefully, scrutinising every nook and cranny before he crept out in small steps. Everything was as it was around the room; there was no sign of anything changing.

He was baffled. Very, very baffled.

"I got it!" Woohyun suddenly exclaimed from his room. "We should set up a CCTV of sorts to capture this thing on camera once and for all."

"Are you stupid?" Sunggyu went back into the room upon hearing Woohyun's idea. "It's a ghost. The camera can't capture something that's invisible!"

"But what if it's not a ghost? What if it's one of our neighbours playing a prank on us? What if it's a sasaeng fan that somehow got in? We'd know once and for all!" Woohyun insisted. He had a good (bad?) feeling about this.

"You're right… let's discuss with everyone tomorrow."

Morning comes, and while everyone was gathered around the broken glass again, Woohyun relayed his idea to the other members, upon which everyone agreed.

"I think it's a great idea, hyung. At this point, I'd really want to try everything. I just want that creature to go away, it's really creeping me out." Sungjong piped up. "I can't even sleep properly now. I'm so tired, but I'm so afraid at the same time to close my eyes because the next thing I know, it might be staring down at me!"

Chills ran down everyone's spine as they all nodded silently in agreement. They soon got to work at setting up the CCTV as they called their manager to do so, and everything was finished just before lunchtime.

That night, everyone was a bit more confident at going to sleep as they all went to their respective rooms. They knew that the camera was going to catch the perpetrator once and for all. Once the clock struck midnight, the creature once again wreaked its usual havoc without fail, ending with the breaking of the glass. Everyone slept relatively peacefully, since they knew that this was going to see a conclusion tomorrow morning the minute they watch the recording.

The next morning, they all gathered around the computer they hooked the camera up to, observing who the creature was.

All of the members held their breaths in anticipation, eyes glued to the screen, sweat trickling down their foreheads as the creature neared the camera.

He walked, and walked, and walked, and finally faced the camera…

"IT WAS YOUUUU!!!!!!!" The members suddenly shouted in unison (synchronised even in anger) and turned to the perpetrator.

Said suspect just blinked stupidly in shock, not knowing what to say.

"But… But… I really didn't know I did all those things." He slowly backed into the wall as the other 6 advanced menacingly towards him, ready to scream bloody murder.

"MYUNGSOO!!!!" Myungsoo then ran away from the other 6, laughing, as they were all stumbling over themselves trying to catch him and prevent him from running out the door.

"I REALLY DIDN'T KNOW!!!" Myungsoo shouted back, though still laughing at himself, as he ran away.

"YOU'RE GOING TO BE TIED DOWN TO THE BED TONIGHT IF WE CATCH YOU, I SWEAR!" Sunggyu practically screamed as he ran after the suspect, steam practically blowing out of his ears.

 

-------------------

A/N: LOL OMG. That was such a lame ending. xD But this was just a little oneshot that I suddenly (like literally spur of the moment) got inspired to write as soon as I saw it up for adoption on I Came to Read, I Stayed to Write. xD Let's just say it's supposed to be a fic that's sort of an icebreaker, to ease me back into writing after not doing so for more than 2 months. So yeah, as lame as it is, I still hope someone got some sort of enjoyment out of this fic. xDDD