His Everything

Will You Marry Me?

Time slips through my conscience swiftly as if I was watching something absentmindedly—the moment I finally acquaintance with reality, it’s over. This is how things go when I wait for him. But do I really mind? No, I don’t.

Yet this time my belly clenches with expectations as if we were meeting for the first time—I’m anxious with my choice of clothing and am found to be glancing at the street in every 5 seconds, he might show up anytime soon. The last time I saw him was a week ago and things didn’t went well between us back then. We were, somehow, distant.

Maybe this reasons my agitation, and his presence is the one cure I can think of.

 

“Hanin!” and there he comes, calling my name “sorry, I’m late. How long have you been waiting?”

I smile while drinking the mise en scene of him catching his breath, he must’ve run on his way here “a little while, Jongdae, but it’s okay” says I.

Jongdae beams me his soothing smile, a crescent that reaches his eyes “ah, I should’ve gone for that t-shirt instead” says him and I instinctively eyes his appearance; white linen shirt enveloping his torso impeccably with an addition layer of knitted black cardigan. He looks astonishing.

I object “but they look good on you” and Jongdae can always go for anything he desire of wearing, because he always looks good to me.

Jongdae laughs, escaping melodies so tender in my ears “and that dress looks good on you, Hanin. I wonder if there’s anything you can’t pull off”

I pause, somehow thinking for an answer “well, I can’t pull off…a jumpsuit?”

Jongdae encircles his arms around my waist and pulls me closer until physical distance between us diminishes to zero “I’d marry you even when you’re dressed in only pajamas” he leans closer and capture my lips.

The anxiety, the worry and the insecurity that once bothers gone absence abruptly as our kiss wrings every doubt away.

A soft peck ceases the contact that engages our lips and we pull away tentatively. The aftertaste of his lips on mine is still strong like residue of glazy sugar when you savor a cream-coated cupcake. Well, Jongdae tastes just as sweet.

 

“Shall we go inside?” he asks whilst tilting his head to the cinema entrance. Truthfully we planned on watching a movie together, but he was late, so—

I giggle “Jongdae, we missed the movie by 20 minutes”

“What?!” he panic and glance at both me and the entrance in turn for over than several times “Oh my God! I’m so sorry, Hanin, I should've ju—“

“You shouldn’t have gone for anything else, the shirt and the jacket looks good on you. Besides, as long as I get to see you, then—“ I shrug “—I don’t mind”

Jongdae tightened his hold around my waist and land his lips onto my forehead “Hanin” he whispers my name onto my surface as if my skin was capable of hearing, yet his utter can always send shiver down my spine and churn my insides as butterflies nestle in my belly “what more can I ask for? Everything I want, everything I need, they’re here inside my reach, inside my arms”

I rest my arms surrounding him, not wanting the moment to ever end.

“But Hanin” he whispers again “a man was never meant to have everything he desires”

I pull away slightly, settling brief gap to separate our faces and I catch his stare. But there’s no anxiety or agony in his eyes. What I see is nothing less than sincere emotion, a sensibility composed by the most intoxicating drug above all labels; love. Oh, Jongdae.

 

“How could I be so lucky?” he looks at me but not into me anymore, Jongdae is no longer searching “I have found everything in you”

“Everything I chase” he kisses my forehead

“Everything I want” my cheek

“Everything I need” my nose

“Everything to life” his words sealed into my lips and we kiss, the way a kiss should taste—like heaven on earth, an enchanting flavor that doesn’t only leave its taste on our lips, but throughout our physique and psyche. And above every single relish I have ever savored, Jongdae is the sweetest.

“Forgive me for being so selfish, but I have to make sure one thing. Just one thing” he pulls away, releasing me from a place I call home; his arms, his embrace.

 

Jongdae bends on his knees.

 

“Lee Hanin” says him, letting sequences of my name escaping his lips like a love song.

I nod, tears begin prickling each corner of my eyes.

“I have been given more than a man could even ask for, there is no way on earth would I ever let go of you. I’ll protect you—through days and nights, through happiness and fights, throughout the remaining years that I have”

I cry.

“But I have to make sure, that you would take this man to be that guardian for life” he fishes a tiffany box from his cardigan pocket. Its lid is pulled into opening and inside I see everything he promised me.

“Will you marry me?”

I do “I do, Jongdae” I do. The phrase beckons inside of me; I do.

Jongdae takes the ring and rest it circling my wedding ring finger. He rises and captures me once again inside a kiss that heaven forbids to ever end. Through my lips, Jongdae whispers “I love you for life, and everything beyond”

I whisper into the kiss “and I you, Jongdae”

 

 

Deep inside I wonder, whether sugar can overcome the taste Jongdae coats my lips with? Is there anything more savory than this? I can’t think of one.