Confession

A Memento

The photo still in his hold, Seungho made his way into his bedroom and sat down on his bed. Lifting the thin picture up to eye level, a small smile broke the usual stern expression on the man's face.

- - -

 

"A memento."

"Why do you need a memento?"

"You're leaving to Japan next week!"

"So?"

"So, I won't get to see you anymore."

"Have you not heard of video messaging?" Gyuri replied, scowling at the young male fidgeting with a Polaroid camera in front of her.

"It's not the same."

"Well, how is a blurry Polaroid going to be any better?"

Pulling the picture from the camera and lightly shaking it, Seungho smiled. "It's a lot better."

Rolling her eyes, the girl sighed and grabbed Seungho's hand. "You're not supposed to shake it."

Feeling Gyuri's thin hand on top of his, Seungho was reminded of his situation. In a week, the girl that made his heart beat faster would be leaving the country. His best friend and first love... she'd be leaving him. The thought tore him to pieces. To not see the girl that light up his days and made his nights; the only girl he imagined himself being with always... it was heartbreaking.  

Maybe he wouldn't feel as broken as he did if he had already confessed to her.

It wasn't that the young man didn't have the opportunity to confess. He did. Nor was it that he lacked confidence either. He was generally a man's man. One that could confidently say things and own up to his actions.  And yet, he still hadn't been able to tell her that he loved her.

With the girl's hand still on top of his, Seungho had another chance and attempted to take it. 

"Gyuri..."

"Yes?" Looking up at him with her bright brown eyes and half smiling lips, Seungho found himself speechless. Again. Despite having the right words and timing, he always froze up. Always.

"...Ummmm."

"Yeah?" Still smiling but becoming confused at his awkwardness, Gyuri let out a small laugh and lifted her hand off of his. "You're spacing out really often these days. How do you expect to get into a good college like that?" 

Internally cursing himself, Seungho shook his head. "Don't worry about me getting into college. I'll be fine. I'm more worried about you transferring in the middle of junior year to some foreign high school. 

"It's not a foreign school. I speak Japanese fluently, thank you!"

"Yeah, I know but still."

"What a bad picture of me..." Gyuri suddenly replied, looking at the photo in Seungho's hands.

Looking down, Seungho sighed seeing the results of his surprise shot of the girl.  

"You are really bad at taking pictures. Gimme that!" Taking the photo out of his hands Gyuri meant to destroy the picture by throwing it away.

"Hey! That's mine!" Seungho yelled, snatching the picture back.

"Take a better one!"

"I like this one just fine!" Taking the photo and placing it into a book from his backpack, Seungho put the book back in his bag. "There, now you can't get it!"

Shaking her head, Gyuri crossed her arms.

"What?" Seungho questioned innocently.

"I'll still destroy that picture."

"No you won't."

"Yes I will!"

Smiling playfully, Seungho replied dramatically. "Never!" 

Reacting to his overkill, Gyuri cracked a smile and then sighed. "I'll miss you."

Feeling his cheeks begin to burn, Seungho knew it was another right moment to confess, but as the girl smiling at him took a step forward. He was frozen again.

He'd never be able to confess. 

He hated himself. 

- - -

 

The smile on Seungho's aged but still handsome face unwavering, he placed the Polaroid back down and sighed lightly.

"I really couldn't confess."

Looking around his room, he got up from his bed and took a look at the pictures on the wall. All moments captured over a span of his lifetime. Some taken by him. Some not, but all irreplaceable mementos.

His eyes focusing on one rather large picture, he saw his younger self smiling happily with a woman in white by his side. Elegantly dressed and smiling with all her heart, Seungho gazed at the picture of the woman he now called his wife. 

Smiling back at the grand photograph, Seungho wondered how his life would have turned out had he confessed at that moment in time. How would things be different. Would that woman still be beside him? Would it be another? He'd never know. But it was okay. 

"Dad! I'm ready!" Lauren called out from the hallway.

Nodding and turning to leave his room, Seungho joined his daughter as they left their home. Entering the car, Seungho looked over to his daughter.

"You know that picture you found?"

"The Polaroid?" Lauren replied.

"Yeah... That's a picture of my first love."

"First love?"

"Yeah."

"You mean that, the girl in the picture is-"

 

- - - 

Seungho was frozen again. He'd never be able to confess. He hated himself.

Watching the girl wipe the corner of her eye as she walked in front of him, his gaze briefly fell to the sidewalk cement.  

"Seungho..." Gyuri called out, turning back around towards the boy.

Blinking and looking up, the young man met Gyuri's gaze. "Yes?"

A sweet smile greeting the upset young man, the girl took a step closer to him and filled his heart with joy as she confessed in an exhale. "I love you."

- - -

 

"Yep! The same woman we're picking up is that same woman from the photo." Seungho replied, cutting off his daughter. 

"Really? I couldn't even recognize her though!"

"I used to be really bad at taking pictures." 

"No kidding." Shaking her head remembering the picture, a thought hit the girl. "Doesn't Mom usually destroy her bad pictures?"

Chuckling, Seungho nodded. "Yeah, but that one is special... it's a memento."

- - - 


A/N: I've never been so lucky to be properly inspired for a little fluff! This came about after three different ideas and it stuck!

As I've been wanting to write more Gyuri x Seungho, this was a lot of fun!  

Thanks for reading! Hope you liked!