the sea is just a sea

The World Goes on Turning

 

 

Daehyun thinks he’s homesick. Every time he sees her he thinks of fair summer days and bright blue waters. He thinks of clear skies and vast oceans. He thinks of humid air and milky skin and full lips and wow his thoughts have drifted farther than necessary today.

He thinks it’s because SECRET and B.A.P. are cooped up in a small recording room for a summer album special and it doesn’t help that she’s wearing shorts far too short to be called clothing. He’s not the only one who notices it though. Daehyun crosses one leg over the other.

Jeon Hyosung will one day be the death of him, he concludes, and continues to watch from a safe distance.

.oOo.

0317 ( 10:27 am ):  [ stop staring at my this early in the morning. ]

0298 ( 10:28 am ): [ I was staring at your legs, hot stuff. ]

0317 ( 10:28 am ): [ Respect, Daehyun, respect~ don’t openly stare. ]

0298 ( 10:30 am ): [ I wasn’t the only one though. ]

0317 ( 10:31 am ): [ exactly. ]

.oOo.

He has to remind himself that she isn’t his, can never be his – or at least his alone.

Jongup laces his fingers through hers, trying to be discreet but failing to do so. His face is flushed and she’s beautiful with pink dusting her cheeks. Daehyun leans back in his seat next to her, craning his neck to tease his junior about his red face.

His own hand catches hers and clasps it under the table.

Daehyun knows he cannot to be picky. Half, a quart, an eight – simply a part of her is better than none at all.

.oOo.

0298 ( 09:28 pm ): [ are you going out with him? ]

0317 ( 09:29 pm ): [ ??? ]
0317 ( 09:29 pm ): [ with who? ]

0298 ( 09:29 pm ): [ *still ]
0298 ( 09:31 pm ): [ saw you getting cozy with Himchan hyung. ]
0298 ( 09:31 pm ): [ and Doojoon hyung during MuBank. ]

0317 ( 09:32 pm ): [ are you jealous? ]
0317 ( 09:41 pm ): [ still there? ]

0298 ( 09:42 pm ): [ I’m not. ]
0298 ( 09:43 pm ): [ he might be though. ]

0317 ( 09:42 pm ): [ took you long enough to reply. ]
0317 ( 09:43 pm ): [ ??? ]

0298 ( 09:45 pm ): [ he’s not me. ]
0298 ( 09:45 pm ): [ he’s not used to sharing. ]

.oOo.

He doesn’t have anything to mope about when he sees them snuggling cozily against each other as if it is still winter when March is rounding up the corner. He doesn’t have anything to be upset about when Jongup stammers, flustered, and Hyosung laughs, beaming. He doesn’t have anything to cry about when she pulls him in for a kiss, soft and tentative and gentle and so not like any of his.

Daehyun is a Busan boy anyway, and Busan boys don’t cry for queens of Chungcheong-do like her.

The next day, when Youngjae asks him if he’s caught the celebrity disease by wearing shades indoors, Daehyun says yes in a heartbeat.

.oOo.

0298 ( 03:13 pm ): [ you’re cruel. ]

0317 ( 03:15 pm ): [ ? ]
0317 ( 03:15 pm ): [ thank you? ]
0317 ( 03:20 pm ): [ what brought this all of a sudden? ]

0298 ( 03:21 pm ): [ nothing. ]
0298 ( 03:44 pm ): [ you just are. ]

0317 ( 3:45 pm ): [ but you are too. birds of the same feather flock together. ]

.oOo.

Daehyun sees Jongup crying one night, but he doesn’t have the heart to talk to him.

His chest constricts and he lets out a strained laugh when Zelo tells him Jongup has been doing a marathon on all sixteen episodes of “Scent of a Woman”.

He almost chokes on air when Zelo comments that Jongup found Himchan’s old DVD of “My Girl’s Boyfriend” and is watching it intently without looking away from the screen.

.oOo.

0298 ( 01:49 am ): [ noona, noona ]
0298 ( 01:54 am ): [ noona, we should end this, ya know ]
0298 ( 02:01 am ): [ noona, it’s so unfair. we should stop. ]

0317 ( 02:02 am ): [ Daeehyun, stop texting. You’re drunk. Get some rest. ]

0298 ( 02:03 am ): [ noona, I’m ending this now. ]
0298 ( 02:04 am ): [ I’m erasing your number as well.]
0298 ( 02:06 am ): [ and I’m not drunk. Himchan hyung is though. ]
0298 ( 02:08 am ): [ I’m not drunk. I’m just tired. noona, let’s end it amiably, eoh? ]

0317 ( 02:09 am ): [ Good night, Daehyun. ]

.oOo.

Daehyun phones his mother later that day and asks her if he still has a room to come home to in Busan. He tells her he’s already on his way so she can’t get rid of him that easily.

( “Yes, yes – I apologized to them. Yes, yes – I made sure I’d be working extra hard for taking a break. Yes, yes – I’ll take care.” )

He tilts his head and rests it against the glass of the window. He stares at the sea surrounding the area, the sea that he has played with since he was a mere boy. Daehyun brings up a hand and opens the barrier that comes in between him and Busan. The air is salty, and cooling, and sweet, and warm, all at the same time.

Daehyun is still homesick. His own mother’s voice sounds foreign to him and all he thinks of is how cold it is after giving up on her touch.

His hand is in his hair and he’s dialing her number ( he has deleted it, but his brain doesn’t let him forget ) and Daehyun hangs up when the voice that picks up isn’t hers.

 


A/N: wow! I kind of didn't expect this response so quickly.
but yes, here you go! ; u ; hope it met your expectations??