Pieces Of Him

Silent Confession [Collection of One-Shots and Drabbles]

He stared at her radiant smile. He loved her smile, but he can't bring himself to return that smile. She keeps blabbering to him about what she did with he boyfriend on their date yesterday. He wasn't listening, he couldn't. He pretended to look at the least bit interested so she won't be sad. She, his best friend whom he had loved a little bit too much.

He was what people call her Dark Knight. He was always protecting her and he was the one who had been with her for the longest time. He used to never mind about not being her Prince Charming. He was happy enough. Until that day when that guy came along. The day when he realized who his best friend keep sneaking glances at. The day he realized that all fairy tales are true. The Princess always end up with Prince Charming, and the Dark Knight would always stay in the dark.

To his dismay, he was also one of the reasons why she and that guy are together. She keep pestering him, her best friend to help her get that guy. She was so desperate, so in love to realize the broken look in his face every time she asked him for help. Even though he's unwilling, he couldn't afford to see that cute thin lips of her turns into a pout. The dejected look on her face every time he tries to refuse. In the end, he would always sigh in defeat and help her in every way possible.

She was so dense. He could see everything through her, yet she can't even see the endless love shining reflected in his eyes every time they're together. The tinkling warmth he feels when their fingers brushed. The blush forming on his cheeks every time she hugged him close. He was always frustrated about that, but it was just one of her traits that he had grown to love. It was something that makes her herself, the girl he loves. Anyone would call her a fool for not seeing everything, but he calls himself a fool. For letting it happen.

He still remember that day where he got his heart shattered to a million pieces. She came running towards him, breathless and her face puffed from the cold before tackling him into a hug. He broke into a grin before it faded from her next words. 

"It's official. We're dating,"

He thought that when this day came, he would finally be able to let go of her. He thought that he would learn his lesson once his heart is left with only a million little pieces. He was wrong. He forced a smile and congratulated her. He wanted to hate her but he can't. Instead of hating her, he picked up the million little pieces which used to be his heart. Even with those tiny pieces left,he still loves her. The tiny pieces still feels warm of his love for her. That moment, he realized that perhaps he would love her forever. And forever, she will never realize.

He was the one that knows her best. He saw most of her tears. He made most of her smiles. He healed most of her wounds. He caused most of her laughter. He saw her her weakest. He was beside her when she was her strongest. Yet now she is at her happiest, and it's not because of him.

Right now, he's falling. He's suffering. he's struggling. If it was her going through this, he would already prepare to catch her when she did falls. It's not possible for him though. For all the things he's going through, the worst is that he's alone. There was no one who loved him as much as he loved her. He was so vulnerable.

She used to be his Sun, his source of light. But now she had found another Sun. He smile used to be like a bright star pulling him out of the darkness. But now he smile shine brighter than any other star, and it was no longer for him. His light is gone, and all he could do was let himself be engulfed in sorrow and watch silently as his body got swallowed by the darkness.

Months went by after that day where he stood, promising to himself to love her with the tiny pieces of his heart. But like all tiny things, they tend to go missing easily. He tried to hold onto the remains of his heart, but he loses them little by little everyday. He was slowly losing himself, and only time would decide when he would finally become just an empty shell. He's too weak, he's tired of holding on to the pieces. He let them go slowly, too tired of everything to feel regret.

Till one day, he had a confrontation with her.

"You've been so quiet these days. I didn't realize when it started, but you're no longer the playful best friend I used to have," She pouted cutely.

"You've been so happy. I realized when it started, and it's because of that guy that you don't seem to need me anymore," He replied bitterly.

She blushed, before frowning at his last words. Was he being sarcastic. His sentence was almost the same to hers, only it shows how much he cares and how much she didn't. Guilt started to wash over her.

"What do you mean by I don't need you anymore? Of course I do! You're my best friend!" She replied, looking flabbergasted. Deep down, she knows that she haven't cared enough.

"Best friend? Maybe I was yours once, but you were never mine," His words were so bitter, and it hurt her. But the both of them knew that it hurt him the most.

"Why are you being like this? Of course I was your best friend. We used to hang out a lot, but now we rarely even meet!" She exclaimed. She just can't believe that all this is happening because of her.

"If I really was your best friend, you should've realized I'm suffering. You should've realized that I'm losing myself. Is a best friend only someone that you hang out with? Do I mean that little to you? If best friend is someone you hang out with, everyone can be your best friend. I thought I was special, to you at least. And of course we rarely meet, you couldn't even make time for me because you wee too busy with that guy," He spoke harshly.

His sudden outburst struck her. She hung her lead low in shame for she knew that everything uttered by him was right. She looked up to him, tears gathering in her eyes. Strangely, he doesn't feel anything anymore. Perhaps his feeling had become numb from everything he has gone through.

"I'm sorry. I should've known better. But you never told me! And you know that I love him, don't you! Ya... Let's make up! I promise I will make up for all the time I ignored you. I'm really sorry. I was wrong. I'll do better, I promise. Let's get back together, okay? Just like old times," She tried to take his hand, but he pulled away. Hurt flashed in her eyes.

"I no longer know how old time is. I'm sorry, but it's not going to be the same anymore. I can't stand you any longer, I had enough!"

With those last words said, he turned back and the last piece of heart he had disappeared. This time, he was the one who let it go.

He is now just an empty shell. He's no longer alive, he just exists.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note
It's my first time writing a story with no specific character! There was no name at all, just SHE, HE and THAT GUY. Hope you'll like it~