Lonely Walks

Falling for You was Unexpected

 

*NOTE: Words that are italized means that it is spoken in English. Words in regular font mean it’s in Korean.*

"Wonderful Elizabeth. You're lost....again. You've only been in South Korea for how long? Oh that's right. Five months." I sighed to myself as I continued to roam an unknown street.

You're probably confused as to why I’m lost in a place I have been living in for the past five months. Well, the first probably is that I can barely read Hangul. I can comprehend a few symbols but that’s pretty much it. Since I can’t read all too well, I was determined to go from my small apartment in downtown Seoul to the dry cleaners on the other side of town. However, with my short attention span I stopped at a dukbokki stand and began to walk around town enjoying the nice weather. That’s how I ended up here. Lost. Again. 

And I even finished my dukbokki. Damn.

Now you're probably asking yourself 'why is this stupid American girl living in Korea where she doesn’t even know the language?' 

Now that’s a more complicated issue. You see my life wasn’t all too great. It wasn’t always this bad; everything went downhill when I was seventeen. My parents bless their heart, unfortunately died in a really bad plane crash coming back from a business trip. I didn’t have any other relatives to take care of me, and since my birthday was in a few months I was practically an adult. So I had no choice but to live on my own.

That year and a half before I moved here were very difficult for me. I was a senior in high school and that was supposed to be the best year for me.

Right?

Wrong. I was facing depression because of my parent’s death and was working two jobs just to provide for myself. Plus, I had to stay on top of my grades in order to finish school. I rarely ever left the house and was deemed a social outcast because of that. It was a very rough time period for me. The only thing that saved me was dancing.

Ever since I was a child I've always loved dancing. Everything about it just gave me chills of excitement. I loved how there was no wrong or right in dancing. You had your own choice to do whatever you want. I would create dance moves to tell a story about my life. About all the hard times I've faced, and also about the happy things in my life. That’s the reason why I'm here in South Korea by myself. To pursue my passion in dancing.

Call it fate if you must. Hell, that’s what I consider it to be. It all happened so suddenly. I was walking the streets of Korea Town in New York (don’t know how I ended up here I probably got lost again. Remember? Attention span of a goldfish?) That’s when I saw him on a TV in some random Korean store.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11H3SAlnH8I (watch from 2:40 onwards)

He was beautiful, and his dance moves where some of the best I have ever seen in my life. What I loved most about him was how serious he looked while he was dancing. Although, it was supposed to be a variety show I can tell he put his heart into those few dance moves he did. Some call it love at first sight. I call it love at first step. 

I later discovered that his name is Taeyang and he is from a Kpop group called Big Bang. 

From that moment on I fell in love with Korean dancers and the whole Korean culture. They put their heart and soul into what they do and I truly admire all of them for that. After doing some research I found out that these Kpop idols have to train for years before they become what they are today. That’s not the case in America. 

After I graduated high school, I took all the money I had saved up plus the money my parents left me, and traveled here. I was lucky enough to find myself an easy job cleaning a small family owned store (thankfully they spoke English) and a nice small apartment that was cheap.

So here I am in South Korea, trying to pursue my dream as a dancer. It's extremely difficult since I’m a foreigner and not Asian but that doesn’t stop me from trying. Also it would be a dream if I ever met Taeyang in person. He is my inspiration and the only reason I got enough courage to travel halfway across the globe. 

'Eonjena boran deushi kkeut- kkaji churakhajiman I'm alive, alive.' (Big Bang- Still Alive)"

My phone abruptly started ringing and snapped me out of my thoughts. Did I forget to mention that I have been obsessed with Big Bang and Kpop recently?

No? Oh well.

I answered my phone unfortunately cutting Taeyang's wonderful voice, "Yoboseyo".

"Practiceing your Korean I see." said the heavy accented voice of my boss Kim So-Yun.

"You know me halmoni. Im always trying to speak as much Korean as i can. I think it’s about time I started speaking fluently don’t you think?" I spoke as slowly as I can, knowing that show wouldn’t understand me if I spoke to fast. So-Yun was a kind and gently old woman that has helped me out a lot. She runs the little shop I work at with her husband and treats me as if I’m her granddaughter. If it wasn’t for her I would probably be living on the streets.

"I just wanted to see if everything was ok. I mean it’s nine in the evening and you still haven’t shown up for work. Are you sick?"

Oh crap.

It’s already nine at night?! Have I seriously been wandering around like an idiot for two hours?!

"Oh my gosh, halmoni I’m so sorry! How can I be so irresponsible? I've never missed a day of work; you can fire me if you want. I’m and irresponsible ungrateful child that does not deserve to live." I started rambling a hundred mile a minute. How can I skip work like this?!

"Easy there child. You know I can’t understand English to well when you speak fast like that. And don’t worry about it my child. I know how much of a great girl you are, and you haven’t missed a day of work yet you deserve a break." So-Yun gently calmed me down.

I was so disappointed in myself. I was always such a good worker, how can I just forget about work like this. If So-Yun wasn’t so nice I probably would’ve been fired by now.

"Ok halmoni, and again I’m so sorry. It won’t ever happen again I promise. Now I better get going I still need to get home." I bid So-Yun goodnight and hung up the phone.

I sighed for the hundredth time and started the search for my apartment once again. All while internally killing myself for being so irresponsible.

As I walked around for half an hour I found a small alley. Usually I would be afraid to walk through an alley since good things never happen there, but for some reason I became curious. It was as if something in my mind was telling me to go through that alley. Almost as if there was a magnetic pull.

I walked down the dark path and pulled my jacket closer to me because of a sudden wind. When I finally reached the end of the path there was a small building. It almost looked like a type of garage. There was a small wooden door on the side that was ajar.

Curiosity got the best of me as I made my way over to the door. I looked around to make sure no one was watching and slipped inside.

It was pitch black when I got inside. I dragged my hand along the wall looking for a light switch. When I finally found it I turned it on and gasped in awe.

It was a dancing studio. 

It wasn’t an extravagant dancing studio, but it was still quite nice. There was a strange looking B painted on the wall but I didn’t give much thought to it. My mood drastically turned from bad to good in a spilt second. This shows you how much I love dancing. My mood instantly becomes better and I’ve only stepped into the studio.

I spotted a radio that was attached to speakers in the far corner of the room. I walked to it a kneeled down, my hand itching to touch the play button. Maybe it wouldn’t hurt to practice a little...

"Ahh what are you thinking Elizabeth?! You don’t know when the owner can come and scream at you for invasion of property!" I said out loud.

Hesitantly I got up and made my way to the door again. I turned around to face the radio, and there it sat. Almost as if it was tempting me to click play. I chewed on my lower lip. Should I go and relive my stress, or leave and get lost once more. After pondering for another two minutes I made my decision.

Screw getting in trouble. I need to let loose and relive my stress right now. 

I took off my jacket and placed my backpack on the couch. After doing a few stretches I went to the radio and clicked play.

No Joke Joke Joke Joke Joke 
Neon gujyeo gujyeo gujyeo gujyeo gujyeo (No Joke- Block B)

An unknown song started playing, but I really liked the beat. I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and started moving to the beat of the music. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkUWFKhFEj8 ) I began to move to the music, my body developed a mind of its own while I danced. I had no control, the music was in control of me right.

When the song finished I ended my dancing with a pose. I was breathing heavily from all the power I put into my steps. Content with myself I opened my eyes.

When I opened my eyes I got the shock of my life. There in front of me was a man.

Bu bump.

He was tall and very muscular. You could see his abs rippling through his thin white wife beater. He also has red hair that was side swept, but a few strands fell into his eyes. I was captivated by him. He was one of the most attractive Asian men I’ve laid my eyes on. I just stood there with my mouth hanging open, not knowing what to say or do.

His face has an expression of curiosity mixed with another emotion I could not tell. But what had me frozen in place was the way he stared into my eyes. It was as if he was burning into my soul. I couldn’t move. Hell, I could barely breathe.

After an intense staring session he finally broke the eye contact and I was able to breathe again. He started speaking to me, but I couldn’t understand since he was speaking in Korean. 

Usually I could understand a few words when someone spoke to me in Korean, but right now my brain wasn’t functioning correctly.

"I-I'm sorry but I can’t understand you." I said to him. He suddenly then stopped talking and looked into my eyes again.

I seriously felt as if I would die right then and there if he didn’t stop looking at me. 

Suddenly there was a loud noise and both I and the gorgeous man turned towards the door I came in through earlier. There stood six other Asian men staring at me in confusion and one even looked as if he was angry.

I was so screwed.


I hope you guys enjoyed the first chapter! I'll try to get the second chapter out as fast as i can! But for right now enjoy this little gif i found ^_^

Ukwon why are you so beautiful. You're killing me with your iness asdfghjkl;' <3