I Meet a Strange Boy

To My Lover Above

          “Hurry up So Ra! We’re gonna be late!” my best friend In Hye called from outside. “I’m coming, In Hye!” I called back. I grabbed my bag in one hand and the music and audition forms in the other. I raced downstairs, opened the coat closet and grabbed a light jacket while slipping on my shoes. Then I raced out the door and we ran in fear of being late.

          I’m Lee So Ra, a 16 year-old and student at Seoul Academy. My parents got lost in a biology expedition when I was 4, so I live with my grandfather. My dream is to become a singer so I can find my parents. My grandfather isn’t so supportive of my dream. He wants me to become a biologist like my parents are. I managed to persuade him with my grades to let me audition for the new entertainment company. He reluctantly agreed, so here I am.

          Yes, we were on our way to the JP Entertainment audition. They were a new entertainment company led by the legendary Jay Park. In Hye and I respected him a lot as a talented idol. We both admired his works. When we heard he had plans of starting an entertainment company and was looking for recruits, we immediately jumped at the offer.

         It was a perfectly warm sunny day in Seoul. As we ran to the JP entertainment headquarters, I couldn't help but smile as I remembered all our hardwork as we prepared for this day, At first we were total flops; I couldn't dance and In Hye couldn't sing. But natrually as we kept on practicing, we eventually got better. Everyday after school we would practice at my house. We had been waiting for this day all our lives.

          We entered the tall building out of breath. As I opened the door and stepped aside, it was like a whole new different world. Everything was made out of metal and glass from the walls to the floors. I stared in wonder at this new sort of architecture. As expected from the genius Jay Park, I thought to myself. I could tell In Hye was thinking the same thing.

          Our attention was captivated by a huge fountain in the middle of the lobby. “Let’s make a wish!” In Hye called. “Ok!” I replied. We took out a coin from our purses and silently said a wish to ourselves. I wished for us to make it in the audition, or at least to become singers. I threw the coin in the fountain and watched it as it made ripples. Then In Hye did the same. We smiled. A man in a suit wearing sunglasses approached us. “Are you here for the audition?” he asked. “Yes sir.” we responded. He showed us to an elevator. “It’s the fifth floor.” he told us. Then he smiled. “Good luck.” “Thank you.” We replied. Then we set foot in the elevator.

          As we started going up, In Hye and I started talking. “What did you wish for?” she asked. “For a boyfriend?” she smirked at me. “No! Of course not! If I told you my wish, then it wouldn’t come true, right?” I replied in defense. “Oh, but we’re friends aren’t we?” She teased. “Fine. I wished for us to pass the audition and if we don’t make it, we can at least still have a chance to follow our dreams.” “Awww…you’re so thoughtful. I wished for a boyfriend.” We giggled. “Oh you…” I said. Then the elevator came you our stop. This was it.

          The floor was packed. Thousands of people of different races, looks and style were squished together. The room was loud. You had people practicing in every possible space. You had the tough girls in one corner, the cool guys in the next. Against one wall was a mix of both boys and girl and soloists occupied another side. There were cliques everywhere, just like in school. I noticed a girl with a group of people following her. She was surrounded by thousands of men in black suits, reporters and people. I tried to get a good look at her face, but I couldn't see with all the people crowded around her. “Who’s she?” I asked In Hye. “Oh…I hear she’s the daughter of Jay Park. Her name’s Ally Park. She’s supposed to be really talented…and pretty.” she said admirably. “Oh…but if her father is in charge of the entertainment company, then why doesn’t he just train her as an idol without an audition?” I asked. “That’s the strange thing. No one knows why.”

           We waited for hours and hours in line to be called. I was number 632 and In Hye was number 633. The line seemed never ending. We waited for hours. Finally I couldn’t take it anymore. I needed fresh air. “Wait here In Hye. I’m going to get us drinks. Water or juice?” I asked. “Juice.” She replied. “Ok.” I said. Then I raced downstairs.

          I opened the heavy glass doors and stepped outside. It felt so much better to be out in the open again! I spotted a nearby vending machine. I walked up to it and inserted the money. I got a can of juice for In Hye and a bottle of water for me. Just as I was about to go back in, I decided I couldn’t go in just yet. I started walking around in circles in front of the building. Before I knew it, I was humming to myself, a habit of mine I often did when I was along. Then I added choreography. Pretty soon I was singing and dancing like I was on stage! I didn’t care if there were people staring. I just couldn’t stop myself.

          Suddenly, a hand touched my shoulder. A boy of about my age stared back at me. As a reflex, I immediately jumped back. “Excuse me, but who are you?” I asked. “That…was…amazing.” he said to me. There was a sparkle I his eyes. “Excuse me, but who are you?” I repeated again. “I’m Nam Yoon Do. Nice to meet you.” He stuck out his hand for a hand shake. I shook it. I noticed he did not support his right forearm with his left hand when we shook hands. He also spoke with a slight accent. Just as I was about to ask him if he was from around here, he asked me if I was here for the JP Entertainment audition. “I am. I’ve got the number to prove it. I suppose you are too, no?” I asked, noticing his number, 719. “Yup. I’ve been preparing for this my whole life.” “Do you sing? Dance? Or both?” “I sing and play piano.” Pretty soon we we were in a discussion. He asked I answered. Then we switched. We talked aout our family, school and what we planned to do in our musical career. Even though I had just met him, I felt at ease talking to him. We spent at least 10 minutes of non-stop talking-until we were interrupted by a girl's voice none other than the famous Ally Park.

          The rumors were right. She was pretty. Her eyes had double eyelids, something every girl in Korea died for. Her jaw line was sharp and her skin was pale. She had an attractive body figure with a perfect chest and flat stomach. Why wasn't this girl on a runaway? 

         "Excuse me miss, but he's mine. So back off." she said with a slight tone of annoyance in her voice. "Ally, it's not like that." Yoon do said, standing up for me. Suddenly. her personality changed. "Oh! Yoon do oppa, I missed you so~ much!" she screeched, wrapping her arms around him." "Don't touch me." he replied deffensively. "Awww...you're so protective it's cute." she gushed. Then she looked at me. "As for you, this is a warning. If you touch my boyfriend again, I'll send my bodyguards to get you." she told me angrily. "C'mom Yoon Do, lets go." she snobbed, putting her arm around him. "Ally, where are your bodyguards?" Yoon Do asked. "Let's go already oppa!" she screeched, dragging hm. As they left, I saw Yoon Do mouth the words sorry. 

          Finally we decide to head back in. We took the elevator. As we got onto the floor, I saw In Hye. The line hadn’t moved an inch since I left. I said goodbye to Yoon Do and got back in line with In Hye. “What took you so long?” she asked. “Oh…just a boy.” I said shyly, slightly emabarassed. “Was he good looking?” she asked with a mischievous smile on her face. “In Hye!” I cried back. Then we laughed.

          Just then, a booming voice came on the speaker. I recognized it as Jay Park’s voice! “May I have your attention please? Since there are so many people gathered here today, we have decided to hold a second audition. Numbers 500 and above your rescheduled audition will be held next month May 23 at 1:00. Please make sure to be here on time or if possible earlier. Bring your music, instrument, or anything else you’ll need for the audition. We apologize for the inconvenience. Have a great day!” Everyone moaned. Utters of disappointment filled the room. People started exiting the building. I had to admit I was a bit let down too. “At least we have extra days to practice!” I said optimistically. “But all our hard work…wasted…” In Hye sighed. Then we took the elevator down and exited the building.