Final

Talking to the Moon

 

"Hey Sehun! Look at the moon! Isn't it pretty? I wish I could see if anyone was on there. Wouldn't it be cool if you could talk to it?" 
"Yeah, I guess it would."
 
Sehun looks at said moon, tears forming at his eyes. He can remember everything he heard about the moon. 
 
"Did you know that the official name of the moon is the Moon?"
"That's interesting."
"Scientists say the moon was formed from the earth."
"Cool."
 
Sehun smiles at the memories, clearly hearing the voice that chattered in his ears. His eyes find the astrology book he bought a few days ago. 
 
"Hey Sehun, why don't you ever look up at the sky?" 
"There's nothing it offers me."
"How would you know? You've never looked up!"
"Has it ever given you anything?"
"Well, not exactly, but I've always wanted to be the moon."
 
Sehun looks out his window, staring at the night sky and everything it offers. He stares at the stars twinkling, hundreds and thousands of light years away. 
 
"Sehun-ah! Let's go star gazing one day!"
"Why?"
"Because the night sky is the most beautiful time to see the sky!"
"Really?" 
"Really."
 
Sehun remembers how he reluctantly went star gazing. He remembers how bored he felt and how cold the night was. He remembers how he felt himself shivering, and the sudden warmth of a blanket being wrapped around him. 
 
"How much longer?"
"Soon."
"You sure?"
"Positive."
 
Sehun closes his eyes at remembers how stupid he felt, sitting on a hill with a blanket wrapped around him at seven in the evening with a telescope in hand. 
 
"You said soon."
"Patience is a virtue."
"I'm hungry."
"There's some sandwiches in my bag."
 
Sehun gets up, taking a blanket with him. He runs out of his house, goes to the hill, and sits down, body wrapped around the blanket. 
 
"Look! There's a star!"
"Whoop-de-friken-doo."
"Come on, dongsaeng, don't be like that."
"What else can I do?"
"You can at least try to be excited."
 
Sehun feels something running down his face. He wipes his hands against his eyes, and widens as they come into view, glistening with his tears. He doesn't know what to do, since he hasn't cried in years. Sehun looks at the moisture as if it was some foreign liquid. 
 
"Look. There's the North Star. If you know where it is, you'll never get lost."
"Why?"
"Because you can use it for reference."
"For what?"
"If you get lost."
"Why would I get lost?"
"Because I wouldn't be next to you."
"Why wouldn't you be next to me?"
"....."
 
Sehun grabs his heart, trying to keep it from breaking all over again. He fails, and he keeps on remembering. 
 
"Look at all the stars!"
"I am."
"No, look at them."
"But I am."
"Never mind. Aren't they pretty?"
"I guess."
 
 Sehun looks at the sky, wondering if there was really any beauty to it. He isn't able to figure out why people are so entranced by the night sky. 
 
"And now for the finale,"
"Popcorn?"
"The MOON!"
"Wow. It looks.... Like a piece of rock."
"Oh, be quiet. The moon is an important symbol."
"Of sleep."
"No. It symbolizes celestial faith."
"Okay."
 
Sehun shakes his head in disappointment. He wonders why people like the sky so much. To him, the night sky simply looks like an artist's pallet, waiting to be painted on.
 
"Sehun-ah, look. The moon is the brightest light in the night sky."
"I thought that was the North Star."
"That's a star."
"So?"
"There's a difference."
"Is there?"
"Yeah."
 
Sehun closes his eyes, feeling himself drifting off into unconsciousness, into the arms of darkness. Oddly, he embraces it, as if they were old friends, separated for years.
 
"Hey Sehun, I have something to say."
"...what?"
"I.... think I'm gonna die soon."
"I know."
 
Sehun cries out as the darkness starts to close in on him. He wants to say goodbye, to his friends, family, but he knows it's too late. Sehun lets go. 
 
"Sehun-ah! Why are you here?"
"Luhan hyung. I wanted to talk to the moon."
 

A/N: I'm so sorry. I really am.