ii

King of Hearts

 

 

If there’s one thing that Sunggyu misses, that’ll be peace.

 

“Hyung, you’re so boring!”

 

The new acquaintance (Sunggyu believes they aren’t close enough for him to call him his friend, at least not yet.) walks around his tiny apartment, criticising every single thing that he sets eyes on.

 

“Why don’t you have any food in your fridge? Why are your meals all instant food? Do you know that’s not good for you? What’s with your fashion? You’re a fashion terrorist, hyung.”

 

Sunggyu scoffs.

 

If there’s one thing that he misses, it’ll definitely be peace.

 

“Do you still want to stay?”

 

That shut him up (for now).

 

“You can sleep on the couch. I don’t like sharing beds.”

 

Sunggyu sees himself snuggling together with someone, a pair of lean arms snaking around his waist. The images don't stop coming. They were so close that he could feel his hot breaths on the back of his neck. He tries to shake that memory away, but it won’t stop, and he feels a throbbing pain in his head.

 

“But…”

 

“Stop it!” Sunggyu shouts. He’s grabbing his head now (and maybe tearing his hair out).

 

“Hyung? Are you okay?”

 

Namu walks cautiously towards him and places his hand on his shoulder. He lets out a breath he doesn’t know he’s holding and pants. He’s drenched in sweat, and his face is white.

 

 

 

( Sunggyu always has a good sense.

 

“You’re not okay so don’t act like you are! You don’t have to do this.”

 

“I’m really okay, hyung. You don’t have to worry.”

 

Sunggyu sighed. He was one stubborn guy.

 

“Call me if there’s anything.”

 

“Yea, I’ll be fine, hyung. Just go for your recording. Jungryul hyung is waiting.”

 

“Just stay home until I come back.”

 

“You’re such a nag, hyung,” he replied. “Dongwoo will be back soon. I’ll just play with him.”

 

“Wait for me.

 

He placed his arms on Sunggyu’s shoulders and turned him around, pushing him towards the door.

 

“Go,” he said.

 

Sunggyu left, and he thought he had heard a faint “I’m sorry” before the door closed.

 

Maybe he shouldn’t have gone for that damned recording and allowed him to slip away.

 

Sunggyu always had a good sense. )

 

 

 

“I’ll be fine.”

 

He brushes namu’s hand aside and staggers into the washroom. He douses his face with water repeatedly, and his fingers are probably wrinkled now. The headache is gone and so are the images. Sunggyu lets himself fall onto his bed, and he slowly drifts off.

 

He’s having the same dream, again – dreaming of a forever with a familiar stranger in their promised land.