I'll find you

Runaway

 

 

It is one of those too rudely thursday late afternoon when Junhee forgot her scarf at the music room, when snow are all over the bus stop. Junhee, much to her dislike, the bus is full that it didn't even bother to stop, so she has to wait for another half an hour. As she tries to warm herself up, like rubbing her hands together to form some heat, she didn't notice a guy stands next to her and humbly offers her a navy blue coloured scarf. Junhee collects herself from the shock and shyly accept it, almost immediately placing it on her freezing neck. She mutters a small thank you at the man who just smiled in return.

"You play?" the said man motioned at the guitar hanging by her shoulders.

"Ah. Yes. I do." she answered as she smiled, glancing at her watch in the process.

The next bus should arrive any minute now. She soon catch a glimpse of the bus and held the scarf to take it off when she was stopped by a hold on her arm, "Keep it."

"T-Thank you."

The bus arrived and she hesitantly wave a goodbye and sat on a seat beside the window - as close as much so she can still see him.

 

 

 

"What is this Junhee?"

She doesn't have to ask what and why, "I-I'm sorry."

"Sorry? Would you're sorry help your low grades to pull up? I already let you to have an A. Now I see a B?" Her mom rage as she held up her report card to her.

"I didn't mean to. I-I was just too tired-"

"I knew it. Quit."

"What?"

"Quit." Her mom repeated.

It's like a wave of cold freezing water washed over body. She didn't mean that? "Mom?-"

"Quit from the music club."

"Wh- Please. I'll make it up-"

"No buts. No pleadings. No sorrys. No dinner for you tonight. You are getting fatter. Go to your room now and start studying. Leave your guitar to me."

"Mom-"

"I just said it. You are not starting an argument Junhee, you understand?" With trembling fingers, shaky hands, clammy palms, she reaches for her guitar, the only thing that had been left after what her mom did and handed it to her mom. "Now go to your room."

All she can do is nod.

 

 

 

There Junhee stands at the corner of the huge room full of people she barely recognize, with only her and herself, dress in black with shades of silver on her too-short-much-to-her-dislike skirt that her mom picked for her. Her mom insisted that it is what she should wear because there, they will probably find a possible husband for her, so their company will keep on growing from a merge. She didn't like it, but she doesn't have any guts to fight over it.

"Want a drink?" was what cut her thoughts. "Not enjoying this, are we?"

Too shocked to register that the guy who gave her the scarf was standing right in front of her, Junhee just nodded her head shyly.

"Don't worry, I am too."

"You're with your parents?"

"No. Just dragged by my friend."

"Oh."

"It's Jonghyun."

He says, and she felt warmth seep inside her that moment when he held out his hand to her, smiling, expectantly waiting a reply and a shake with her hand.

"Junhee." She says, and for the first time of that week, she gives a genuine smile.

And for the first time of her living in the cruel world, she gave an important part of her to someone she doesn't even know if she can crossed paths with again.

 

 

 

"Where's your guitar?" Jieun asked her monday late noon while they are on their way to music room. "Your mom. Did she?"

Junhee can't even mutter a yes just thinking about what she's about to do.

"Hey. Give me an answer, Choi Junhee."

"I'm quitting."

"What?"

She smiles sadly and went on walking while Jieun is still recovering.

"You've got to be kidding, Junhee. You are the last person in the club that will do that."

She let out a soft chuckle, "No. You're first, I'm the second."

"Don't you have some funny jokes with me right this time Choi Junhee." Jieun warned her, in contrast to its eyes that shows worry.

She sighed, "I'm fine."

 

 

 

She can't be tired because of her weak heart, so excercise is out of the choice to keep her body slim. That is why her mom starts to give her meals that will mostly contain a bowl of all-grain cereals during breakfast (if lucky, some banana or strawberry milk) and five spoonfuls of rice with leafy vegetables, during lunch and dinner.

It was after early dinner, she is in her room studying for her chemistry quiz tomorrow while her mom is in the living room with her friends whom she likes to boast around, like showing off her new jewelries. Also saying about how her daughter's grades are more than good. Everything good about her.

"I'm pretty sure you're Yonghwa would like her." her mom said to Mrs. Jung, a kind lady with warm smile. She knew her mom likes their textile company because it's pretty big, and having a very good income and feedback.

She knew Yonghwa but both of them knew they are meant to be only good friends.

 

 

 

"What do you want for lunch?" Jieun asked while tip-toe-ing to see what food is available at their cafeteria.

"Any vegetables."

"I know vegetables are healthy but meat once in a while is good for health too y'know."

"Vegetables, Jieun."

"Fine. Fine. You won."

After getting their trays, the two try to find seats, only to find no more available tables inside. Really, their school needs to expand it.

"Trees?" Jieun asked.

"Under the trees."

They went out, still carrying their meals with their hands and went near their gym to look for benches available. The one on their left is occupied by a couple. On their front was a group of girls chatting about who knows what. On their right, Jonghyun.

"No available seats too Jun- Ya! Where are-"

"Jonghyun-ssi." Junhee called beaming.

Jonghyun looked up, and smiled immediately, "Hey."

"Can we sit?"

"Of course." Junhee introduced her friend and started to eat. She doesn't know how to explain why she feels that way. A way more better than being in your room while reading an old romance book, better than sunny afternoon at the park while playing guitar. A better feeling you can call home.

 

 

 

"Jieun told me you just quitted on the club. Why?"

"Jonghyun,"

"It's a long story. Fine." Jonghyun sighed and slips his hands on his pockets. "I wonder how long your life had been because you never seem to have time to tell it."

It is one friday in spring, sun almost setting, when Junhee and Jonghyun crossed paths again at the front gate of their school. With both intentions to get a bus ride home, the two made its way together at the bus stop.

"It's simple. But a mess. It's quite nice. But not really happy."

"Weird."

"Ya." Junhee sighs, "Well, sort of."

"Are you alright?"

"I'm fine."

Jonghyun chuckled and she punch him playfully on its shoulder.

"What are you laughing at?"

"Why do people always lie?"

"What?"

"You don't seem fine to me."

"You think you're cool?"

"Yeah."

Junhee laughs and so is Jonghyun.

"But really, don't lie to yourself. Say what you want to say. Asked what you want to know. Do what you want. And live your own way. Nobody in the world deserves to be always ordered around. Even they have a thicker connection to you, It doesn't change the fact that you have your own functioning brain."

Dazed by Jonghyun's words, and all she do is to throw him a blank stare, Jonghyun held up his hand to his head and give it a pat.

"It's your own life. Running away with questions in mind will result no good. Don't let it unanswered. Because most of the times, guesses and confusions comes right after."

"Jo-"

"There's your bus. I'll see you."

With another pat, he led her to the bus door and wave at her, smile still plastered on his face giving her comfort for some more seconds of that day.

 

 

 

"Mom.. can I atleast have my guitar back?" Junhee tried.

They are currently having dinner and she needed her guitar back. It is the only thing that had survive from the fire back when she was five, although young Junhee is surrounded by flames and falling burnts woods, she remembers her father putting a wet towel all over her with the guitar, telling her to get out and that he loves her. No matter how she tried to force her brain to remember where is her mother that night, she just can't.

"No. Study."

"But I am studying."

"I already said no, Junhee."

Running away with questions on mind will result no good.

"Mom, do you love me?"

"What are you saying? Eat up. Stop talking non-sense."

"Does saying you love your daughter is non-sense?"

"Junhee, stop that-"

"Are you my mom?"

The tension grows, food long forgotten.

"Junhee, stop that now or-"

"Or what? You'll stop giving me my allowance? You won't let me eat? Throw me inside a closet again?"

"Don't you ever dare to question how I discipline you!"

"Discipline? What did I do wrong?"

"Because your mother took your father away from me! Now, since I can't find her, I'll make you suffer."

Her known-mom grab her by the arm and pulled her at their backyard and painfully pushed her on an unused closet at the small separate storage room connected at their kitchen.

"You want it in a harsh way? Be it."

"Let me go!-"

"You shut up or I'll break that precious guitar of yours, you understand?!"

Biting her lower lip to prevent her kept sobs, Junhee cried silently in the dark closet. Remembering she has her phone, she dialed Jieun. After three tries of calling, Jieun didn't pick up. Second option is Jonghyun.

After a the third ring he picks up, "Hello?"

She didn't reply. It is in those times that you just want to cry while someone is saying comforting words in your ears, someone to tell you it's alright, everyting will be the way you want it to be.

"Junhee?"

Junhee continues to cry, since she doesn't know who her real mother is, and her known-mother just put her inside a closet for a revenge she doesn't even know why, only hearing his voice sooths her. Atleast, she feels at ease with him.

"Hey?" Jonghyun's worried voice echoed on her ear.

"Hey Junhee, you alright?"

All Jonghyun got as a reply is an unvoluntary sniffle from her.

"Are you crying?"

"Ya. Junhee."

"Hey, Where are you? I'm putting my shoes on and I'll find you."

"Junhee." "Jonghyun-ssi."

"What happened?"

"Jonghyun.." The call was ended by Jonghyun and Junhee thinks he'd probably gone irritated. Not until her phone rings after about half an hour and she answers it without any word.

"I'm on the back of your house."

"How-"

"GPS."

And with a loud banging, she saw a faint light and saw Jonghyun panting, holding out a hand to her.

"I swear, I just know you for about a week and this is what you are already doing to me."

She reached out for his hand and he pulled her for a hug.

"I hate you for doing this to me but I'm glad you're safe."

 

 

 

After that incident, Junhee stays at Jieun's. Junhee is thankful that Jieun's parents is very kind and also treats her as one of their daughter so they asked her to stay with them. Though she refused at first, the fact that she doesn't have any place to stay, she accepted. Now she works at a convenience store near Jieun's as a cashier. She adapted at her new life all too fast, probably because she wants to find her mother. It will be hard, but she'll endure it.

"You're good to go Junhee-ssi." Minhyuk, a guy with spectacles was the next one on duty smiles at her.

"Thank you Minhyuk-ssi." She gathers her things up and glance at the clock before walking out, five past nine.

"Tired?"

"No. Not really." She answers as she smiles at Jonghyun who silently slips his hand to hers.

"How's school?"

"Normal boring subjects with normal boring teachers." Jonghyun answers with a shrug.

"You're such a meanie."

"I do?"

She only laughs at him. It's already a habit. Jonghyun walking her home after her shift, Holding her hand while they were at it. Clear words are not needed, just by these simple gestures that make Junhee flutters, she knew everything is fine.

 

 

 

On what happened to her known-mom, she didn't know. Not until Jieun started to pester her to go back to music club, which she also need for her to have a good amount of percent to less on her school fees.

"Jieun is pestering me to go back."

"Then why not? I'm a new member there." Jonghyun said.

"I don't have my guitar." She says.

Jonghyun stops and holds her wrist, pulling her to the other direction.

"Jonghyun-ah.. where are we-" she stops mid-sentence when she realize where they are — bus stop. "Jonghyun-"

"We're going to get it."

 

 

 

Her heart is beating faster than how it should as she pressed their doorbell. There was a groan and some curses before the gate finally opened. Revealing her known-mom, with hair all messed up and make-up all mushed up on her face, "Oh, you came back after all."

"I-I j-just want my guitar back." She said and hating herself for stuttering.

"Why, I already broke it."

Her heart sank deep in her stomach and her tears are starting to brim on her eyes. Jonghyun, however, holds her hand and walks inside, ignoring all the cussing and protest of Junhee's fake mom.

"Where do you think she had put it?" he asked her.

"I-I don't know."

"You better leave or I'll call a police!"

"Go on. My dad is police. You want his personal number?" Jonghyun deadpanned as he looks from here and there and from room to room. Finally being able to find it in the storage room, they both stormed out of Junhee's old house.

When they got back at Jieun's, Jonghyun bid his goodbye, "Good night, Junhee. I'll expect your presence tomorrow at the club room. Sweet dreams."

She smiles at him before giving him a peck on his right cheek, "Thank you." and another, "Good night." and on his lips, "Sweet dreams Jonghyun-ah." Then she hurriedly run inside with flushed cheeks, leaving the frozen Jonghyun on the front porch and missing the grin that formed eventually on its features.

"Junhee!" Jieun almost yelled when she came back, holding out a paper in front of her which she read.

"Guardians' Home?"

Jieun beams, "They say she's there."

 

 

 

The ride is about two hours and now, Junhee is at the lobby with Jonghyun and Jieun on other side of her as they wait for the head nurse's assistant to call them. Her palm is getting clammy with all the mixed emotions she is currently feeling, she is nervous and excited, happy but anxious at the same time.

She is thankful at Jieun that always gives her a reassuring smile while Jonghyun will gently squeeze her hand that was intwined his.

The door on her right flew open and a woman in her 30's came out, flashing them a smile before motioning them to get inside. They greeted the head nurse and asked what they were there for.

"Choi? Oh my." the head nurse look at her with worry, which made her more anxious than she is.

"Is there something wrong?" Jieun asked.

The head nurse reached for her hand, giving it a soft squeeze, "She passed away a year ago."

And that six words felt like her world crash.

 

 

 

 

She didn't know what she did on her past life to deserve this. Though she didn't know how, she finds herself in front of a grave with her mother's name cleanly engraved on it.

"Junhee-ssi. You can take this." The head nurse handed her a box, full of papers — some crumpled, others are colored and some music sheets. "She is a lovely and talented woman. We are just sorry because she can't remember a thing about herself other than her name, and that didn't do a big help to us to find a family of hers."

"Thank you." Junhee thanked.

"And here. Its a letter from someone that only left an initials and no address for her."

 

Dearest KT,

I know you won't probably believe what I will say in this letter, because I will tell you I love you because I really do. You'll probably ask why I love you and yet you are there. I am sorry but you'll be safe there so please take care of yourself.

We'll meet again.

When we don't have to run far away from the reality we are trying to escape. When we don't have to hide to face those sweet lies and painful truths. When we can be free from the people holding us back. When we can fly as high as we want. When we can already hold each other and show everyone how we are meant.

See you. JP

PS. Remember that you are the most important person in my life, along with our angel. I love you. Always.

 

 

 

"Jonghyun-ssi." Jieun called softly so as not to wake the sleeping Junhee on her shoulder.

"Yes?" Jonghyun answered while he glance at Junhee before looking at Jieun.

"Don't hurt her. She suffered enough. We are her family now."

"I won't. I promise."


Author's Note:

OMG. The plot is all ruined. >< This is not the plot I planned at all. I hope you still like it.

i didn't intend for this to have a happy ending (well, if thus can be called as one) but Junher suffered enough in the story.

Thank you for you guys eho subscribed. Since you are few, can I demand a comment? I don't care if it is full of criticism but please don't be too rude. Pretty please?

Thank you and I love you guys!