She became a light in my dark world

The Fallen Angel's Tears

 

"Why?" Yi Jeong complained while his breathing became heavy, he didn't wish for this mission, he wasn't a guardian angel he should be amongst the collectors, amongst the archangels…but a guardian angel? That was for beginners, not for him. "They can send anybody else, this isn't a mission of vital importance, it's only protecting a girl," he complained again, he was going against all commandments.

 

"Yi Jeong," a voice soothed him, that strong yet serene voice. "That is why you must go, you have spent so much time seeing as human beings ruin their lives that you are drying up inside, your wings…" his poor pupil was on the verge of falling from grace, if he did nothing on the matter he would lose him… he was a good soul, but fragile in spite of the strong side that he always showed.

 

"That's nothing…just…" he took his hand across his chest, he had noticed it… his beautiful white wings, those he would take so much pride on, they were shedding feathers… he felt embarrassed in front of the other angels. 

 

"If you continue like this you will fall soon Yi Jeong and against that there is nothing we can do…" his teacher pronounced, he was a little stubborn, a very human quality between all the divine qualities he possessed. 

 

"I'm sorry," he said to his teacher lowering his head, he didn't want this mission, he didn't want to go down to Earth, human beings were detestable, they would always flee, they would always hurt those they loved … they would always do something horrible to condemn their souls. "But by your command, I…will obey," he was trying to be humble, he was trying, but his soul was turning dark, his heart was fearful. 

 

"This is my will …" his teacher told him lifting his hand, with a single of his hand the white was replaced by a dark landscape.

 

The night … the stars, he had seen them once in all of those thousands of years…he looked at his feet … they were on cold rock soil, barefooted and dressed in the same clothes that he wore in heaven. He gave a step and his leg trembled, it was difficult to stand here, it was strange … something was pulling him down, he half turned his head and his wings had disappeared... he was unsettled when he didn't see them, where did they go? He touched his back but there was nothing on it. The sky cleared and a faint ray of light escaped through it, Yi Jeong slightly closed his eyes at the sight of the light.

 

"Remember, just open your heart, learn what is important and all will be well, for you and for her."

 

The light disappeared and Yi Jeong lowered his gaze, he had been sent to Earth... he had been sent as a vulgar guardian angel, he had the tedious mission of taking care of a human and not just any, a human girl who apparently had suffered a lot. He doubted that was true, all humans were the same, they would only complain about not doing things and at the end it wasn't worth any of their time, it was better to try to change them above, in their afterlife.

 

"Ga Eul," he said as he closed his eyes, the young girl… that little girl he needed to protect, her name was strange. "Where are you?" He wondered and his heart…he had a heart? Many times before he heard said  that the heart beat was the most beautiful sound, now that he could feel it he understood... it was as if a small drum was harmoniously playing on his chest.

 

In the middle of the city, in the center of it a girl was fighting with her landlord, it was true that she owed months of rent for her room, but she had so much trouble getting a job and money was so little, that she barely had enough to eat, it wasn't fair… but she had nowhere else to go.

 

"Please ahjussi," with both of her hands held in front in a prayer pose she begged him, she had found a job that day... she had asked for an advance to her boss and he had agreed. "Please…this is all I have, I'm only paying a month but I have no where else to go… this... is my home."

 

"You know this isn't personal," the old man told her, she was a good girl but he also needed the money and a single payment couldn't cover her expenses. "Your parents were good neighbors and customers, but you can't pay me... even if I took this money you would still owe four more."

 

"I know, but I promise that within a week I will pay you another month... and in two more I'll pay you another, I promise you," she said this words convincing herself, it was almost impossible to get that money, much less in such a short time.

 

"It's a deal. If in a week I don't receive payment…I will have no other choice but to leave on the streets."

 

"Thank you very much Mr. Kim," finally she could get up from the floor and dry her tears, it was distressing to have nothing to offer and be on the verge of losing what she cared for the most, her home.

 

"Don't thank me yet," he said shortly, that girl was a sweetheart, but business came first.

 

Ga Eul gave the money to her landlord and then went back on her own steps, there was no way to get that money, not without dropping out of school and taking more jobs, but there were no other jobs. She went to the bar where she washed dishes and helped with meals. The night was so cool and there was a cloudless sky, as she used to do since she was a little girl she lifted her face to it and with all the faith in her heart she prayed.

 

"God...I know that you listen to me every night. I know that I can be very annoying for ask too much," her eyes were moist, it was the only time of day that she could relax, where she could rest, "But I miss my parents, I'm selfish... I want to have them with me," she rested her eyes on her hands, "I feel so alone…"

 

Yi Jeong touched his chest, the human heart was pounding in his chest... never before had he felt such music, that rhythm…was different it would give shivers to his skin, "I feel so lonely." In his head a sweet voice resounded, the words would echo, he had never been able to connect with a human, now he knew what it felt to have a connection.

 

Before his eyes a thread of smoke showed him the way, it was easy to follow it, he was going from one side to another without caring about other people, but he attracted much attention. He was walking through the city barefooted, with his completely white clothes, with a very attractive appearance for anyone, a blank stare but that would leave you breathless. Yi Jeong felt the looks, the whispers but nothing stopped him, the voice was bouncing on his head, annoying but necessary, that thread of smoke became more and more thin as it neared its goal, he had never seen her, he only occasionally listened to her asking God for strength.

 

The thread curved and then disappeared, a beautiful white cloud engulfed a person or better said, that person broke the cloud appearing from it... it was strange, he had looked down and had seen many girls, women and representatives of the female , but it was the first time he saw kindness in the eyes of a human. She walked by him without noticing him, she was so absorbed on her problems that she didn't even stop as her name was spoken.

 

"Ga Eul…"

 

Yi Jeong said it like a whisper, and followed her after with his gaze, delicate... She looked fragile, now he understood why they had sent him to protect her, however it wasn't reason enough to demote him to field missions.

 

That night he walked aimlessly through the city, not seeing the misery of people, the poor and the elderly lying on the streets, no one watched them they were less than trash, the only friends and companions they had by their sides were animals and angels, passing by them his fellow angels would bow their heads and smile, why were they smiling? His work was even worse than theirs. He looked at the sky and it was black...the moonlight was the only thing that comforted his heart.

 

"Are you sure that's what you wish for?" He asked his teacher, "For me to be her guardian…"

 

The clouds of the black sky cleared and a ray that only he could perceive fell on his face, it was a yes. He lowered his head and looked for a place to sleep, he still couldn't understood how humans could live between so much hate, meagerness and despair…it was overwhelming.

 

He followed her for a week, it was easy to do it... She wasn't present, never was, her head, her body... everything seemed to be always focused on something else. During that time he learned much about her, apparently she wasn't studying, but from what he knew from her she was still just a child. She spent her days running from one job to another, there had been days where she wouldn't eat and others where she would take her food to a neighbor, was it a joke? This girl was different to the humans he knew…she didn't seem to care about nothing but the rest.

 

That day he followed her to her house, but he didn't see her happy, throughout the whole way she never took off her gaze from the floor, she was so pale and haggard, one had to resist the urge to give her something to drink and help her rest. At her doorstep there were some stacked boxes, what was this about?

 

"God…" she sobbed as she saw how her few belongings could fit inside four boxes, they were only a few memories of her parents, a few things from her childhood and clothes. "Give me strength…" she asked him weeping and taking her stuff. It was fair, she had failed to pay the money and now she was without a home... she didn't have a roof to rest under, friends or where to go.

 

Yi Jeong looking from a distance heard her words inside his head; "Give me strength." This girl asked nothing more than for strength, courage…fortitude, all synonyms of the same, doesn't she want more? She could ask for anything and she was satisfied with asking for that. He saw as the girl knocked at a gate, the old man that received food from her came out, as he saw her his hand trembled…he could hear her racing heartbeat, but that girl wouldn't stop smiling, thanking him…she was strange.

 

"Thank you very much Mr. Lee," clearing her face from a few strands of hair, "But I'll just stay for the night... tomorrow I'll look for somewhere to sleep."

 

"You can stay as long as you need," he told her while giving her way to come inside his house.

 

Yi Jeong began walking, it was unbelievable how stupid humans were, they relied on some of them and they left their hopes in the hands of strangers, that girl could never imagine that this old man abused his wife, which for many years he hit and that thanks to him she had ended her life, he had heard him sometimes, he asked for forgiveness for his actions, but he deserved the suffering he felt, it was his punishment... and he deserved more.

 

The girl was at the old man's house for only a couple of days, he didn't need to see her, he could hear everything she said, sometimes he could even feel inside his heart her heartbeats, it was a peculiar synchrony. Now both of them walked through the same street, she a few steps in front of him. He didn't look like a stranger anymore, he was wearing normal clothes he had found at a shelter, that place had also become his home. At night he would listen to many pray for their souls and a few others repent for their mistakes, although a few more mocked God in their minds.

 

As always she went to one of her many jobs... why work so much? It wasn't to pay for her studies... not even to buy things, what forced her to work that hard? Other times he would stay far away from her, his mission was only to take care of her, to help her when the time came, not before, nor after... so far he had obeyed it, he hadn't been close to her not even a few meters from her. Seeing her through the glass he wondered, why is she always smiling? In all of these days she had never stopped smiling, she didn't seem to get tired of it, perhaps it was this or his innate curiosity that he crossed the door of the restaurant. The bell rang and she went out to greet him, up until now they had never been face to face, she had passed him on the streets and never noticed him.

 

"Good morning," she said to the new client.

 

"Good morning," he answered with his hands in his pockets.  She was beautiful... there were angels with many virtues and this simple human equaled them in beauty. He got lost a bit in those big black eyes, they were amazing... full of kindness, love, devotion...

 

"Mister," she said to him calling his intention, the customer kept watching her in a strange way, but it didn't bother her, "Would you like me to take you to a table?"

 

"Yes," he answered somewhat confused, it was strange to do this sort of thing... the first time he was hungry was the second day of coming to Earth...something inside his body hurt and only quiet down when he devoured a piece of bread.

 

Something he had learned from them was that money bought everything in this world, it was strange how people depended on something as absurd as a paper, but they did. After eating he left money, he had earned it for helping out at the shelter, human life was difficult. If you didn't have these papers…nothing seemed to make sense.

 

Standing on the rooftop of the shelter he closed his eyes, his mind was always empty until she asked for something, sometimes she would ask for her... but most of the time it was for other people. From the moment he began to listen to her humans became tolerable, although they remained meaning the same to him. With closed eyes, he ran to the edge and jumped… in the middle of his free fall his wings spread out and he could feel the night breeze on his face, he missed flying… the clouds, the sky…his wings shook again and again. They gave him the boost to raise and feel as an angel... one of his wings bent and the other couldn't hold him up in the air, something hit his back and he was falling at full speed towards the ground. He felt the strike all over his body, he cried out in pain…it was the first time that he felt pain, it was a desperate situation if he moved his head throbbed but if he didn't he couldn't breathe. He stayed still lying on the ground, while his eyes produced his first tears… salty, tears were salty.

 

When he was finally able to stand up he was covered in blood in his mouth, on his hands, on his back…his wings were almost broken, they had no feathers, they couldn't be used to fly... why were they giving him this punishment? An angel who couldn't fly.

 

He spend two days in the shelter, his body was as fragile as anyones. All that time he heard her, she cried at night... she cried in the morning, she was suffering a lot and he couldn't help her, unbelievably he cried with her, he couldn't do anything else other than to help her pray. He asked God for some compassion, a little peace in her life... but he never listened, was he angry at him? He get out of bed, he couldn't endure it any longer, he could feel the wetness of his cheeks left behind by tears, Ga Eul... that name had become more important than God's.

 

Once again life was responsible for placing difficult tests for her, she dragged her feet on the street. It was difficult to get money when you don't have a profession, the only thing she could find were serving tables, helping out at shops, distributing merchandise... but it wasn't enough to reach the quota. If she wasn't able to get the money she… no, it was better not to be pessimistic.

 

Yi Jeong was in a bus, he felt her…he couldn't see that thread of smoke anymore, but he felt her… when she was near, his heart would race, just like now. Sitting and looking out he saw her... She was unmistakable.

 

"Ga Eul…" he yelled placing his head out on the window.

 

The bus passed by her side without stopping and he was left looking out through the window, watching the figure of the girl getting smaller and smaller… so far he hadn't been able to help her at all. He had only been a hindrance, while she was crying he only stayed lying on his bed. He stayed sitting in that seat, being human was horrible, there weren't many options, it was depressing to have this body, this mission…to constantly have her hovering in his head.

 

That night Ga Eul had nowhere to go...the shelter for women was full. She walked aimlessly down the street, perhaps she would find somewhere to go for a few hours... a train station, somewhere to take refuge from the night and the cold.

 

Yi Jeon as always was on the shelter's rooftop, his eyes closed and his mind focused on her. Sometimes he felt that initial connection had began to fade away, but didn't understand why. His mission was to take care of her… to protect her, but his teacher never told him that being human was so difficult.

 

"Do you really want me to succeed?" He shouted to the sky. "Why can't you help her? Is it too much to ask, just a little help for her…she suffers, I hear her crying every night, I hear her crying even when she's not." Yi Jeong began to cry, he had learned that tears were salty but also warm. "Why?... tell me why do I have to feel this heart beating... next to hers."

 

Ga Eul was about to cross the street, as always the only thing on her mind was where to get a job and money. When her parents died they left behind a big hospital bill and that had been a year ago, she had managed to pay much of that debt but there still was all the funeral expenses. That's why she had dropped out of school, why she only concentrated on getting money. The street light change to red and she didn't realize it, her feet moved and she began to walk, it was such a quiet night... there were no people, no noise.

 

Yi Jeong stopped crying, his heart... that had been quietly beating in his chest, without knowing why began to race, he desperate ran down the stairs, he threw himself into the night and the streets seemed endless, his feet, his body…everything hurt every step he took made his chest burn, he hadn't recovered from the fall and his agitated breathing hurt him. But there was something...something was going on, he felt it... He didn't need that thread, he could feel something was wrong with her.

 

While she took a step after another, in the corner a car took a sharp turn at full speed, the driver was completely drunk and furious, he didn't care about anything or anyone in this world. Two steps, three steps... she was half way there when she felt the car tires.

 

Yi Jeong was running desperately he almost stumbled on his own feet, those useless feet that made him move so slow, he didn't need them... Despite the pain, despite his latest attempt he spread his wings or tried, the right one was the first to appear, more whole and recovered, the left one was bruised, nearly broken from the hit. In all his glory he ran with spread wings, he had to be there… should be there.

 

The car collided against her, with the hit she broke the windshield and her body rolled to the ground. Yi Jeong felt it... he felt the cry she gave before losing her, his heart…it…wasn't there. His face twisted in pain, why wasn't it beating? Little by little his running seized, his feet weren't moving... the only thing he was trying to do was to hear his heartbeat, but he couldn't…it wasn't there anymore.

 

That night he walked senselessly, his feet dragging from one side to another. He didn't know what he was looking for, he did not know where to find it, her…he couldn't feel her, it was strange, he had felt lonely in this human world but when he closed his eyes, he heard her, when he touched his chest the two hearts beat at the same rate, the night was darker. He saw himself inside a white building, there were many people... they wept, others complained of pain, he felt the strange smell and his fellow angels were there, some beside the sick, others were just going to collect some souls to guide them, why was he there? Could it be that…

 

It was then when a ray of light visited him, a small heartbeat… almost imperceptible. Again tears…why would they appear? He wasn't sad... it was joy, happiness… If her heart was beating it was because she was there. Each time he felt them getting stronger, she was close, only a little more and he would find her.

 

Her vision was destroyed... Yi Jeong trembled from head to toe to see that this beautiful girl, who was always full of smiles now was bedridden. He approached her fearfully… she had her head bandaged, her right eye was covered, and her lips... all of her face was bruised, she was unrecognizable. He couldn't stand to see her like this, he fell to his knees crying, how could they do this to her? She was the sweetest, nicest and the most selfless person he had known…HOW COULD THEY DO THIS?!, he yelled inside his head. Tears kept falling from his eyes as he held her hand…he couldn't feel her, she wasn't with him, only her heart would let him know she was still alive.

 

"Ga Eul," he said between sobs, one after another tear drop would run down his cheeks. "Please," he couldn't lose her, it wasn't about the mission, it wasn't about him..she deserved something better, something that would make her smile. "You…have…to…be…strong…" he asked her. "God..if you…are still listening…I ask you…no…I beg you…don't take her…don't…"

 

He held her hand for a long while, he was on his knees, begging his teacher, God to interceded for her... to give her a bit of divinity to help her. Slowly Ga Eul opened her eye, she had heard something... it was an annoying noise, it wouldn't let her sleep in peace. She tried to turn her neck but couldn't, she only looked to the side, but she only saw a black head.

 

Yi Jeong smiled when he saw that she was awake…he kissed her hand again and again, he was experiencing what they called a miracle, the touch of God upon his defenseless humans. If before he believed that none of them were worthy to be saved or protected, thanks to her he know thought quite the opposite. They were very vulnerable creatures, but each of them deserved this... a miracle.

 

He got up and went out of the hospital, he had nothing in heaven, he only needed a reason to exist and that reason had become the reason for his hatred, hatred he didn't know until he came to Earth, that was why his teacher had sent him. He walked without stopping toward the same place as usual, night had been replaced by day, radiant and bright.

 

The days became eternal, Ga Eul remained in the hospital, Yi Jeong would visit her every day, sometimes she was awake and would ask who he was... he would smile and help her eat, helping her be strong. Over time the girl became dependent on the stranger, every day she would wait for him, every day she would think she was the happiest person in the world for having someone take care of her with such dedication.

 

"God…" Yi Jeong was on the rooftop of the hospital, it was difficult to accept that he could no longer return to heaven... being here had changed him a lot. "You can see my heart…" He said touching his chest. "Never before had I had one... now that I have it... I feel that I can't live without it…" he smiled thinking of the person who filled it, it was that girl... who with his friendly character had conquered it.

 

He spread his wings, so white and beautiful as he remembered them. They had been damaged by the fall but they were broken a long time ago, now both of them completely healed gave him all the liberty to fly. The rays of sun warming his feathers, he wanted to leap and fall into the void to then raise in flight.

 

"I…don't think I will be able to return…" he said looking through the clouds, he knew they were listening to him, he knew they would understand what had happened since the time he was away.

 

From the door of the rooftop a delicate figure leaned against the door, it had taken her time to climb up here, but she knew she would find in that place. Though she never imagined to see that, the stranger Yi Jeong standing on the edge of the building, but that wasn't what called her attention, it was the white wings coming out from his back, a white so radiant that would blind her eyes.

 

"Do you think you could... let me go?" He gladly asked, his smile was caused by Ga Eul, she... with all her kindness had returned his hope. "Anyways…I was going to become a fallen angel…"he said with a bit of humor, he wasn't the typical angel... but he wasn't an evil angel either, now he only wanted to be Yi Jeong."I prefer to fall for a good reason…" he swallowed slowly and held his chin high up, "Please…"

 

Ga Eul gave a few steps looking at him carefully, he... was... an… angel, a beautiful white-winged angel, now everything made sense. That's why she never felt any malice, that's why she wished to have him close to her… why her heart was beating strongly, why... she had fallen in love with him.

 

"God…" she looked at him with pain... they... couldn't love each other. "I have always lived with joy and I have never asked for anything that you can't give me... but…" she shook her head while containing her tears, "Don't take him away from me…"

 

A ray of light sneaked by the clouds, it fell directly on his body and blinded Ga Eul a few seconds. She had to cover her eyes with her hands, she couldn't see what was happening, but she imagined that was the way in which an angel would disappeared to return to heaven. The white flash stopped and she began to cry... the ray of light… his angel…wasn't there anymore.

 

"Yi Jeong…" she whispered covering her lips with her hands.

 

"Thank you...God," he told him while he looked for the last time at his former home, he wouldn't be able to return... but he didn't regret it.

 

"Yi Jeong…" she repeated. Her angel was gone, leaving behind the man who had taken care for her for those last weeks, who would't leave her side... that man who had made her fall for him with his eyes.

 

"Ga Eul" he said surprised, he felt…her. He his feet and there she was, looking at him with those beautiful eyes full of kindness. "GA EUL…" he yelled smiling, he would never deny that she was the best reason to fall from grace, he had lost his wings, his eternal life... peace, everything for her.

 

He ran taking her in his arms, there was nothing preventing him from telling her how much he thanked her, because of her he learned to be human, because of her he had a heart overflowing with love, for her…he lost heaven but earn paradise by her side.

 

"I love you…"

 

He kissed her tenderly on her head, he knew it was love, he knew perfectly well… but not this love, it was different…it ran through his body, insatiable, it only quieted down when he was close to her, this kind of love would never leave him, it was the reason for a new life.