Final

We Can Try

 

The rain downpours outside the car window. The pitter-patter of rain is all that can be heard. Here we are again. I'm sick of this. How many more moments of silence are we going to sit in? The car is off, and the both of us have nothing left to contribute to the silence. My hands are gripped tightly on the wheel while yours are fidgeting on your lap. How many more times?
 
When will we learn to trust one another? When will we be able to speak what we feel deep inside? 
No matter what we try to do, the trust and faith isn't there. Lately, I feel like there's no love between us.
 
"Why can't we try anymore," I whisper softly so you can't hear. Why can't we at least try to understand each other's hearts? Why can't we run away from ourselves; pretending that everything is okay?
 
You mutter incoherent words, and the sound of the rain drowns your soft voice out. I know they have hurt you in the past, but please don't close yourself off. Please trust me like you used to. Please try to understand my heart, and I'll accept yours. 
 
"Why won't you try," I answer to your non-existent question. Why did you close yourself off? Why won't you try to get away from their slaughtering voices with me? Why won't you try holding my hand?
 
You answer again, and your loud voice drowns out the speed of the raindrops. You have raised your voice above them before, and when you fell; I caught you. 
 
So tell me why you don't trust me. Tell me why you won't believe me when I say that I love you. 
 
"Why won't you take a chance," I say with tears threatening to fall from my eyes. Why won't you take a chance and run with me? We could leave here and start over. We could spend endless nights under the stars opening up to one another, sharing our true feelings. We could be happy, no longer sitting in silence. We could do all these if you just trust me. Please have faith in me. 
 
You stay silent this time as if you can possibly hear every thought madly running through my head. The rain has stopped, and your voice is no longer against it. 
 
As the sun starts to reappear behind the thunder clouds, without I word I exit the car. Out of confusion, you follow me. When you are close enough to me, I grab onto your shaking hand. The sudden contact shocks you, but you hold on tightly. 
 
"Won't you try and run with me?" I ask you, facing your tinted cheeks. I know my expectations are too high and I'm scared I might fall. Without a verbal answer, you hold onto my hand and walk into the barren field ahead. I follow close behind and a small smile forms on my lips.