One Way Ticket

Roller Girl

"This is bad" muttered an auburn haired girl.

"How is it, Risa?" asked the girl beside her, trying to pull away the unfolded piece of paper from the girl's hands.

The auburn haired girl named Risa successfully dodged her friend's attempts. She frantically adjusted her glasses and brought the letter closer to her face. She read the words across the paper slowly and surely, just to make sure that it wasn't some bad joke someone played on her.

"This is really, really bad!" she wailed as her face grew pale.

"Kumiko, what I should do! You're smart, surely you have a solution for me" she said while violently and desperately shaking the girl beside her.

"I may not live to see another day if I tell my mother this. She will offer me to a volcano. No! She might feed me to the sharks. Should I commit harakiri tonight?" Risa rambled on, her imagination gone wild.

"Calm down! Did you read it right?" the girl named Kumiko grabbed the piece of paper and quickly read its contents.

The first line read: Risa, we regret to inform you that your application was not accepted into the academy... 

Kumiko glanced at her friend and managed a smile despite her worry.

"There should be another letter, ne?" she asked with fingers crossed.

Risa shook her head slowly. She is definitely doomed.

"This is the last one?!" Kumiko exclaimed with eyes and mouth wide open.

Risa frowened even more as she nodded her head.

"This is really bad" she muttered once again.

 


 

Class went by unexpectedly fast; Risa had hoped that it would go on forever but there was no escaping fate. Outside the classroom window, the sun was sinking into the horizon. It will be dark soon - and so will Risa's future. 

"I'm fisnished!!" she cried out to Kumiko who was busy packing her stuff.

Kumiko furrowed her brows and went to Risa's side.

"Here" the girl handed her a magazine with a handsome boy's smiling face on the cover.

"Tamamori-san! Gomen nasai! I am an unworthy human being! I don't have the courage to face you now" Risa exclaimed, looking away and bowing to the magazine cover.

"BAKA!" said Kumiko, laughing a bit. "I bought this for you earlier. No matter what happens, I know this would make it all better"

"Kumiko..." Risa stared at her friend as she received the magazine into her hands. "Arigatou"

"I can't stay with you for too long, Risa. My grandparents are visiting to celebrate" the other girl spoke sadly with sorry eyes.

Unlike Risa, Kumiko had always been working hard, studying every day and getting high marks in class. Risa had always admired Kumiko. It seemed that she was good in everything. She had all the merits and she got into a really good university. There will come a time when she and Kumiko would have to part. The only thing Risa had was Kis-My-Ft2, a boy band miles and miles away who barely knew she existed.

"No, it's alright. You go and have fun. I'll be fine since I have this now" Risa managed a smile while waving the magazine.

"Call me, ok?" Kumiko said before finally leaving the classroom.

The room never felt emptier. It has always been a lively place. Risa and Kumiko had shared numerous jokes and memories here. It's sad to think that everything is ending for Risa.

Everyone's probably on their way home to celebrate with their families and preparing for graduation day tomorrow. As everyone's paths have already been decided, Risa is stuck at a dead end. She walked alone across the hallway while thinking how it all ended up this way. Her mother had always been pushing her to work harder, she probably tried every trick on the book to get higher grades but it still boils down to this.

"Yappari, I am the stupidest person alive" Risa stuck her head to her locker.

"Tamamori-san, this is not the time to smile" she told the handsome face on the magazine cover with a frown on her face. The locker door opens. Risa grabs a pair of pink roller skates and stoops down to put them on. All the kids have been riding bikes to school but because Risa really loves her Kis-My-Ft2 and their skating skills, she too wanted to learn. Three years later, she could be a roller skating genius.

"If only life were this easy" she muttered to herself.

"Saa, Tama-chan. It's time to go home" Risa said to the magazine while strapping her helmet on. Skating gear, check. Bag, check. Trusty earphones, check. 

"It's "We Never Give Up" all the way tonight" she said to herself as she set off.

 


 

"You're late" said a cold voice.

Risa glanced at the front door and there she saw her mother, arms crossed and pursed lips.

"Sorry" was the only thing Risa could utter.

"So? How were the results" her mother asked sharply. She's not going to enter the house that easily tonight.

She bit her lip and glanced at Tamamori's picture on the cover. Just this once. I need to stall just this once.

"I haven't received all the letters yet" Risa answered flatly, pokerface and all.

Her mother raised an eyebrow slowly.

"Really? ... Well, let's go in. Dinner's ready" she said. 

As soon as her mother's back faced her, she heaved a heavy but silent sigh. Safe tonight.

 


 

Dinner usually solved all types of problems for Risa - food in general solves anything according to her. However, tonight was rather different. Risa threw herself to the bed and breathed heavily. The girl stared at the ceiling where a Kis-My-Ft2 poster stared happily at her.

"Why are you all smiling at me like that? You've watched me these passed few years and you know I'm no one great... I can't believe I am talking to a poster" Risa facepalmed herself as she rolled to her side. Risa grabbed the magazine Kumiko had given her earlier and browsed through.

"Fly to Japan!" said an advertisement.

"Ha! How I wish" she shrugged it off in a second.

"Argghh!!" the girl exclaimed.

"This is not helping!" Risa sat up on her bed and scratched her head violently.

"How about it, Risa? Let's wait for a shooting star tonight. Yeah, good idea. Maybe that could bring me a miracle! What should I do? God please answer me" the girl was talking to herself and going mad, indeed hoping for a miracle. With hands clasped in prayer, Risa closed her eyes tight.

Just then, an airplane was slowly passing through the night sky. She could hear the faint sound of the plane. Risa stared at it before furrowing her eyebrows and opening in confusion. 

"That is not a sta-" she cut off her own complaint, taking notice the open magazine beside her.

"Fly to Japan" it said, taunting her.

"God, are you answering me?!" she exclaimed.

 


Author's Note: Hi guys! I admit I'm not good at writing funny scenes. They looked better in my head but it seemed cheesy as I was writing them down. I still do hope you guys enjoyed it. Can't wait for tomorrow!