Nerd Talk

The Word Bucket [Taking Requests]

You know you’re a nerd when you fight over a calculator with your fellow nerd. It’s kind of like the unsaid initiation into nerd-hood, really. But, you see, this isn’t about me being a nerd. I already know that I’m a nerd and I’m proud of it too. Yep, nerd Yoo Youngjae at your service.

Yes, I basically live in the library. Yes, I do all my homework. No, I don’t skip class and I have never received a grade lower than a B in anything.

No matter what is usually portrayed in those cliche high school dramas, being a nerd isn’t bad, you know. People think that we nerds are bullied often and stuff, but it really isn’t like that. People actually like us and respect us because we’re smart. It’s only the real s who mess with us (like the extreme dumb asses who have nothing better to do in life). But like I said, it isn’t all that bad. The only time it really gets bad is when your own ing best friend, decides to be a about these things and refuses to admit that he’s a nerd at heart.

It’s just that this friend of mine (his name’s Jung  Daehyun) is stubborn as and refuses to acknowledge that he, in fact, is a nerd. I mean, come on now. The bastard is secretly obsessed with Star Wars, he has a several stacks of manga hidden behind his CDs at home, he's a straight A student, he's extremely smart, and his old-lady glasses rest in a case located underneath the fifth shirt in his closet. Yeah, pretty detailed, right?

But I still don’t understand why he’s being such a prick about it. There he is, glancing at me from the other side of the room because I refused to sit by him today after our fight yesterday. Yeah, the fight was about the whole nerd thing because I told him upfront that he was a nerd the moment he tried to fight me for my calculator. You never take calculators from nerds. Seriously. Unless you want your beat or something.

The last bell rings and I stand up quickly, packing my notebooks in my bag while Mr. Bang’s busy telling the rest of us to take notes on pages 435 to 440 by tomorrow. Like any other day, I’m the first one out the door and in the blink of an eye, I’m speed-walking down the hallway as to keep my distance from the damn I have the misfortune of calling my best friend. ‘Cause just seeing his face pisses me off now.

I pass by Junhong who waved at me happily and then the nurse Mr. Kim who held up a hand in greeting. I nodded back, smiling a little before speeding past the numerous bodies of people in the hallway.

“The idiot. Who does he ing think he is, huh?! Telling me that being a nerd isn’t cool and that he doesn’t like being friends with me anymore because of it. He should ing rot in hell,” I murmur to myself, taking a left into the library which is my paradise. Our school library is actually really nice and new. They renovated it a month ago and they have all these panel windows that let in more light and stuff.

Sending a smile to the librarian Miss Jun and her assistant, Jongup, I walk towards the empty and hidden part of the library where I’m sure the won’t find me. I place my history book on the desk and flip to page 435 because I’m eager to finish my homework before I go home. My history book’s heavy and having to lug it home doesn’t sit well with me.

So here I am, minding my own business when all of a sudden, the back of my collar’s yanked backwards and I almost fall out of my chair like some vertically-challenged person. Knowing exactly who it is, I shove the person back, only to find myself being dragged into World War I aisle. Next thing I know, my back’s colliding painfully against the cream walls with an arm resting dangerously close to my neck.

“Why’re you ignoring me?” he asks in the calmest voice possible. Shooting him the meanest glare I could muster, I stared at him menacingly with both my hands clawing away the arm he rested heavily over my chest.

“Why? You ing know why, you . Drop the act and just leave me the alone.”

His eyes softened and the pressure on my chest lightened slightly.

“Look, Jae. I-”

“I don’t need your apology, Daehyun. You made it clear yesterday that you didn’t want me as your friend, right? So how about you leave so that I won’t have to see your face?!” I whisper-yelled, the pent up anger from within me threatening to explode.

“I didn’t mean-”

“Psh. Yeah, that’s what they all say.”

“Can you just shut up and listen to me?!” Daehyun snapped back, slamming me back into the wall with so much force that I was afraid Miss Jun was going to come back here and see what was wrong. Good thing she didn’t, though.

“Okay then, fine. Talk, . And make it quick. I don’t have all day.”

“Look, about yesterday...I didn’t mean what I said at all, okay?! What I said...It was all in anger, I swear!”

“You know, they say that when people are angry, that’s when the truth comes out. But what the hell’s so wrong about being a nerd, huh?!”

“‘Cause it might ruin my reputation!”

“Who gives a ?!”

“I do! Or actually, I used to! After seeing you walk out on me like that yesterday, do you know how ing guilty I felt? I’m really sorry, alright? I should’ve known that my best friend’s more important than any reputation out there.”

I kept quiet.

“I know I shouldn’t have said that, and I’m really sorry. I don’t want this to ruin our friendship, Youngjae. Nerd or not, I’m still me and you’re still you and we’re still the same two people who met each other by the bus seven years ago. So please, forgive me?”

“You know, you owe me a lot. , you better pay for my ice cream later.”

“Is that a yes?” he said hopefully, a small smile appearing on his face. I rolled my eyes in response and smiled back while pushing him away a little.

“Yeah, yeah. Whatever.”

He fist pumped the air and grinned at me happily.

“Thank you, Jae! I swear, I’ll never ever do this ever again, okay? You’ll always be more important.”

“Damn well I should be. Okay, let me grab my stuff. Wait for me outside? ‘Cause I’m pretty sure Miss Jun doesn’t want to see us stepping out of the same place at the same time. It might cause some misunderstandings.”

He was no longer paying attention to me however, as his attention was turned towards something else. Though I really couldn’t tell what he was looking at.

“Hello, Dae? Look, I said just wait for me outside,” I told him, turning to left since a book caught my eye.

“Oh yeah, right,” he began walking back. “Hey, Youngjae?”

“Mhm?” I asked, looking up at him again. Suddenly, I felt a pair of warm lips on mine which were gone as quick as they came. “Wh-Wha-I...wh...Daehyun?” I spluttered out, incapable of creating coherent words and coherent thought. He grinned at me in a nervous but happy way and before I knew it, he was gone.

“I’ll be outside!” he called out.

I stood there frozen for a while, processing what just happened.

My of a best friend took my first kiss. Oh he is so going to pay.

 


Ello, my lovelies. Here is another dose of word vomit. En...Joy? LET ME LUVS U ALL. <3 AND OMG. THAT PIC. i < 3u

Word Vomit Count: 1305
Genre: IDK OTL
Pairing: DaeJae
Credits: immediaterelief