Prologue

Concrete Angel

 

Prologue

 

 

Eight-year old Tiffany was crying when she got on her mother’s car right after school. She rubbed her red eyes with her wet sleeve to stop her tears but they just kept pouring out.

 

“What’s wrong Miyoungie?” her mother asked as they drove onto the highway.


“Nothing…” Tiffany replied quietly as she tried to hide her tears.


Mrs. Hwang looked at her daughter worriedly. “Your tears don’t mean ‘Nothing’, Tiffany. Please tell me what’s wrong, sweetheart.”


Tiffany bit her lip and kept her head low as she sniffled a reply, “I don’t like the new school, Mommy. The kids there keep teasing me because I can’t speak Korean very well. Can’t we go back to California?”


Mrs. Hwang sadly shook her head as she returned her attention on the road. “I’m sorry Tiffany, but we can’t. Your father’s work was relocated here so there’s nothing we can do but to adjust and make the best out of it.”


Little Tiffany kept quiet for a while before she spoke up again in a little voice. “Well, can I at least stop going to school? I don’t want to be bullied anymore…”


Mrs. Hwang sighed sadly. She didn't want Tiffany to be feeling like this. No mother wouldn't. Her daughter was too young to feel this way.

 
 

“Tiffany, are you just going to let them? Are you going to let those kids do what they want even when they’re already hurting others?” Mrs. Hwang asked.


“But what am I supposed to do?” Tiffany whispered helplessly.


“Tiffany, always remember this: work your hardest, do your best, and prove to them that you can be better. Always be strong and stand up whenever you fall. Don’t let them bring you down, Tiffany.”


“But what if I get tired of being strong?” Tiffany asked with fear in her voice.


Mrs. Hwang looked back at little Tiffany, looked genuinely into her eyes, and held her small hand.

 
 

“Then someone special will come by your side and be strong for you.” Mrs. Hwang assured while she wiped the remaining tears on Tiffany’s little face.


Although Tiffany’s eyes were red from crying, she still managed to show an eye-smile. The last thing Tiffany saw of her mother was an eye-smile similar to hers.

 

 

 

 


Tiffany didn’t know what happened next. All she knew was that she heard a loud crash along with the screeching of tires. Her whole body shook from the great impact. Then she was blinded by a great flash of light. But she saw something of what seemed to be white feathers before everything went black.


“Tiffany!” she heard a female voice say. But it wasn’t her mother. She didn’t know who it was. But the voice...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


It seemed to sound like a voice of an angel…
 


---

 
 

Tiffany had survived the accident. However, her mother died that day because of the car crash...

 
 

It was a miracle, the doctors exclaimed. The impact should’ve killed Tiffany’s little body also.

 
 

But here she was. Alive and still breathing.
 

 


Tiffany stood in front of a coffin, seeing her mother for one last time. She was crying so much and she was hurting so bad. She wanted to hold onto her father, the only family she had left. The only one she wanted to find comfort from. But Mr. Hwang blamed Tiffany for her mother’s death. He hated his only daughter. He couldn’t stand to look at her. Let alone, to be there for her. So who did Tiffany have left?

 

 



No one.

 

 



She was all alone now. She was too young to experience something like this and it scared her. But little Tiffany remembered her mother’s last words and found courage in them. She will stand up and be strong for herself. For her mother.
 


When the coffin was lowered, Tiffany threw in the first yellow rose. It was her mother’s favorite kind of flower, for it meant happiness. Tiffany whispered quietly while letting a few tears escape her eyes,

 

 

“I will be strong, Mommy. I promise. I love you, goodbye…”

 

 

 

 

 

TBC

 

 

 

A/N: Okay. I know the prologue doesn't say much about the whole concept of the story. But maybe you'll have an idea after Chapter 1 :) But of course, I'll have to finish writing it first. Haha! :D Wait for the next update, okay? ^^