Sleep-Oneshot

Sleep

Kyuhyun was trying to sleep. It had been a long day, he was extremely tired, and for once, he actually thought he could get to sleep early. Of course, the universe was conspiring against him, and it turned out that that was not going to happen.

 

He was buried under the covers, with only the top of his head visible, when he heard a knock on his closed door. The door had been shut deliberately-he did not want to be disturbed, and he was ready to kill anyone who tried it. He sighed, annoyed. Didn’t people get the big ‘Piss Off’ vibes he was giving off?

 

That was the trouble with living in a dorm with a bunch of guys, he mused. You never got your damn privacy. The knock came again, louder. Then a voice sounded. “Kyu? I know you’re there.” The voice was Zhou Mi’s.

 

He sighed again and rolled his eyes. He’d better answer-Zhou Mi was one of the very few people he would respond to. He rolled over and sat up, pushing the covers down and rubbing his eyes blearily. Zhou Mi better appreciate the sleep I’m giving up for this, he thought grumpily. “Yes?” He said. “What is it?” Was the house burning down? It had better be something like that, or he was going to be a little pissed.

 

“Uh…” Okay, so obviously it wasn’t anything like that. Couldn’t the man just get to the point? An intake of breath issued from the door. “Can I come in?” He asked, a slight note of pleading in his voice.

 

“No.” Kyuhyun told him bluntly. He needed sleep, and he was going to get if it killed him. Nobody had ever accused Kyuhyun of being nice

 

“Please?” Zhou Mi said, sounding genuinely upset. As if Kyu cared. Okay, he wasn’t an ogre, he did care, but only up to a point, and not when he was being deprived of something he wanted. He was a like that.

 

“Will you leave me alone afterwards if I let you in?” He asked, suspicious. Zhou Mi had a habit of saying he’d do something, and then forgetting to.

 

“Sure.” Came the reply.

 

“Fine. Let me get up.” A noise of agreement could be heard from Zhou Mi. Kyuhyun threw his head back and stretched, still annoyed that he’d been forced to get up. He stumbled to the door, forgetting to turn on the light, when something occurred to him. If it had been anyone else, he would have left them. Odd.

 

He pulled the door open, revealing the tall, skinny form of Zhou Mi, whose head was hanging down in a sheepish manner. “Sorry.” He muttered. “I just… I don’t know.” That was helpful. Not.

 

Kyuhyun sighed. The third time in about as many minutes, if anyone was counting. He moved aside to let him in, closing the door behind him when he was in. Zhou Mi headed towards the swivel chair next to his desk after flicking the light switch, sitting on it with his long legs stretched out.

 

“So, you interrupted my sleep, why?” Kyuhyun said almost rudely. Zhou Mi smiled. He was used to pissy Kyu. If Kyuhyun didn’t spend at least a quarter of the day in a bad mood, then something was incredibly wrong with the world. He liked it. He found Kyuhyun’s moods entertaining. Plus, they moved in cycles. It was like he had daily PMS. Or something less girly. Kyuhyun wasn’t very feminine.

 

“I had that dream again.” He told him quietly.

 

The look on Kyuhyun’s face was comical. “You got me up just to tell me you had a bad dream? I’m not your therapist!” Zhou Mi laughed. No he certainly was not. But this was why he’d come to him-the dream unsettled him, and it was reassuring to come to Kyu and watch him , just like every other day.

 

“I know that! I just needed to talk to someone. I didn’t come to ask for your advice or anything like that. I just…didn’t want to be alone, okay?” Kyuhyun gave him a look the said clearly ‘Do I look like I care?’

 

“Again, I am not your therapist. Why do you always come to me about this bloody dream? It’s not like I even listen to you, anyway…” Kyuhyun told him, becoming confused when Zhou Mi’s smile got wider. Was he missing something here? But he had to admit it; he did enjoy looking at Zhou Mi’s smile. It was big, bright and a little childish, but it meant everything was well with the world. Not much fazed Zhou Mi; it was why they got on so well. He just let Kyuhyun’s rather blunt personality wash past him.

 

“See? I already feel better.” Zhou Mi told him, the smile still fixed to his face.

 

Kyuhyun shook his head. “Whatever. Can I go to bed now?” He didn’t even know why he was asking. He intended to go to bed whether Zhou Mi said so or not.

 

Zhou Mi’s lower lip poked out. “Don’t do that.” Kyu said. “You know it makes you look stupid.” Zhou Mi stopped it, returning to his normal face. He didn’t want to leave-with Kyu, everything felt better, nothing bothered him. It didn’t matter that he was feeling sad and slightly upset if Kyuhyun was there. If he was honest, he knew what he felt about Kyu wasn’t entirely platonic.

 

Kyuhyun threw his head back childishly. “Fine, don’t leave then. I’m going to sleep, so the light’s going out. You can see yourself out.” He proceeded to turn off the light (again) and burrow under the covers. All Zhou Mi could see was a fluff of brown hair. He shook his head. He really didn’t want to leave Kyuhyun, but what was the point? What was he going to say? “Kyuhyun, I don’t want to leave, please let me hug you?” No, Kyu wouldn’t make fun of him for that at all…

 

“Are you leaving or not?” Kyu’s voice was muffled under the covers.

 

Zhou Mi swallowed. What he was going to ask was a bit odd, but he knew the others did it. “Can I sleep with you tonight?”

 

Kyuhyun sat up abruptly. “What the hell?!” He sounded shocked, his faced screwed up in his befuddlement.

“I don’t want to go back to my room. It’s not like I’m you or anything! You know Heechul does it with anyone he can get his hands on…” He murmured, trailing off at the end, embarrassed by his desperation to stay with Kyu. The thing about Heechul was true, but it didn’t help his case any.

 

Kyu groaned. “You’re not going to leave me alone, are you?” He didn’t mention that he wasn’t that opposed to having Zhou Mi in his bed. The only reason he’d yelled had been that it was so out of the blue. “Look, I don’t care any more. If you’re staying, stay. Just let me sleep.” He rolled over, not expressly inviting Zhou Mi into his bed, but the space was there. It was up to Zhou Mi.

 

Zhou Mi considered the implications of this. Was it too weird? He yawned, and that decided it for him. He was past the point of caring-he could puzzle out what he thought he was doing tomorrow. He got in the bed.

 

 

They’d been lying stiffly in the bed for over an hour when Zhou Mi decided to ask Kyuhyun something. “Why did you let me in?” He asked, curious, and tempted to play with Kyu’s hair. But that would be a little too intimate.

 

Kyuhyun, his face shoved in a pillow, replied with “I don’t know.” It sounded as if he was talking through gritted teeth. He probably was. “You wouldn’t go away.” He added, after a second thought.

 

Zhou Mi stayed quiet. He knew when to push it, and this wasn’t one of those times. He shifted his head onto his arm, and gradually slipped into sleep.

 

Kyu meanwhile, found he couldn’t sleep. He leaned his head on his hand, and stared intently at Zhou Mi. Why had he let him in? He really didn’t know, and it was disconcerting. Kyuhyun saw things in black and white; he always had a reason. But now…now he was at a loss. Was he attracted to Zhou Mi? The answer came back a definite ‘Yes’. He liked how Zhou Mi accepted him, and he thought Zhou Mi was…good looking.

 

Huh. Well, this was strange. The urge to kiss Zhou Mi, just to see what happened bubbled up inside him. What was the worst that could happen? Zhou Mi wouldn’t know-he was asleep, dreaming about shoes, or whatever it was that he dreamed about. Pushing a strand of hair away from Zhou Mi’s face he leant forward, and pressed his lips to Zhou Mi’s. They were surprisingly soft, and he found himself wishing Zhou Mi would respond.

 

When Zhou Mi did, it got even better. Zhou Mi blinked awake. Was he not dreaming? Was Kyu actually…kissing him? Well, he wasn’t going to waste an opportunity. He kissed back, lips moving against Kyu’s, arms sliding around his waist as Kyu’s moved up to his hair. Pretty soon they were tangled up in an mess.

 

Well, there was no going back now.

 

 

The next morning, Henry knocked on Kyuhyun’s door. This was dangerous-Kyuhyun was not a morning person, but you had to do what you had to do. “Kyuhyun? Kyuhyun? Look, I don’t mean to disturb you but…” Oh, damn it. He was just going to have to go in and brave the tiger. He pushed the door open. “Look, have you seen Zhou Mi? He’s not in his room and a package came for him…” He stopped when he saw something that amazed him.

 

Zhou Mi lay in the bed, snuggled in Kyuhyun’s arms, his own arms around Kyuhyun’s waist, the covers strewn about messily. They were both sleeping sweetly, mouths partly open, and looking very comfortable.

 

Henry shut the door quietly and left silently.