FIRST & LAST

Codename: XYZ

It's winter in Seoul. And just as the snow falls continuously to the ground, DO was in his coat and scarf, breathing cold air while waiting patiently for a cab. Today, He had received his key to his new suite near Gangnam. Seated in a bench, he wandered his eyes to a man approaching him and his peaceful wait. That man sat beside him. Eyeing this man from head to toe, the tanskinned, masculine man who seemed like a pro in dancing spoke, "what are you looking at?" Do and his wide eyes like an owl, sparkle while he looks at him. Getting back his mind on the genuine, he replied "No. Nothing. Are you also waiting for a taxi?"

 

The man smiled at him, "No, I have been waiting for someone to come. May I ask what time is it?" DO glanced at his Casio silver watch and answered,"3:30" He gulped, then suddenly, a cab came and got their conversation hanging. They both said their farewells, DO rode the cab and left the tanskinned boy cross-armed at the bench. DO seemed interested in that man. But that's just a casual conversation, their first talk, and the last. They are strangers anyway, right?

 

-----

 

Arriving at his suite, he was astonished to view the city lights up from the 15th floor of the building. He felt cozy of the furnitures and the ambiance of the rooms.It's a condominium. He stroll around the place,and it was strange but, he found a box, taking a peek of his white colored closet. The box contained papers, which he suspect were properties of the previous occupier.He scanned them curiously, and knew that these were mysteric collection of anonymous letters.

 

January 13, 2012

Dear ABC,

I'm sorry ABC, please let's talk. I'll explain everything to you. Let's meet at 3:30 PM, at the bus stop in front of the Subway dungeon way in Seoul.

PS: I'll be waiting for you to come.

Loving you ALWAYS, XYZ

 

~

 

January 14, 2012

Dear ABC, Why didn't you came? It's okay, I'm still there at that same spot. I'll come there everyday. I'll wait for you.

PS: I'll forever wait, for you and for your forgiveness.

Loving you ALWAYS, XYZ

 

These was supposed to be the most recent letters sent to that address. DO was wondering of whom was ABC and XYZ. He thought those two had forbidden relationship, so they had a distant communication through those letters and codenames. Exactly, it was sent here about a year ago. He looked at the calendar and he saw that today was dated January 04. And the Meeting place, the bus stop, in his assumption, it's the same bus stop he just got into hours ago. How strange.

 

Childish and vintage. DO ponders on. Who would use some lame nicknames and codes in letters these modern days? Theres e-mail, Facebook, Twitter. Many electronic and updated ways of keeping in touch. He never thought something like this still exists. He wrapped up those letters and he finds time reading them, going home after his work. Slowly, he understands the story behind those letters and codes. Though the person, which is XYZ, who wrote this all is still a big phantom to him. All for ABC, but, as he investigate the contents of every letter, he found out that ABC never replied back.

 

December 25, 2011

Dear ABC,

Merry Christmas! I miss you, hope we could meet up, there at the bus stop. I want to see you and spend some time together.

PS: Please let's see each other.

Loving you ALWAYS, XYZ

 

ABC was so gruesome with XYZ. While, XYZ became a martyr to ABC. DO surmised and concluded that obviously, ABC had some weird revulsion towards XYZ. And he pity XYZ. He didn't know why but, he thought that if he was ABC, he would probably answer back. Let's think of reality. He's not actually. He can't do anything about their relationship. In fact, what does he have to do with others' life?

 

----------

 

"Kyungsoo, are you sure to throw these away?" Suho asked him holding a storage box.

"Yes. I don't need that. After all, were already through with each other." He sighed, taking a slurp of demitasse.

"Aww... I thought you treasure these letters."

"Not anymore. So please, mind if you dispose that asap?"

Bitterness came back to DO seeing those letters again. He thought for a sec, he's just like ABC. A complete ignoramus. In denial of his true amourous feel.

 

Sauntering swiftly on his way to the bus stop near sunset heading home, he saw someone not new to his sight. The tan skinned man he'd seen days ago. Now, he's with his earphones on, close eyed while bearing a very stolid expression. When DO sat aside to him, he was awakened,

"I'm- Hey! You're the one I saw just lately, you oftenly go here also?"

"Yah, actually, I'm always here everyday, after work. How about you, Kai?"

"Oh you remembered me," He was in glee, like they were already so close. "Me? I'm always here, Everyday too."

"Everyday? What for?" He chuckles lightly before saying, "I was waiting for someone to come here. I have to say something to that person, before I'll soon lack time."

"hmm... Oh here's a cab, tomorrow?" DO waved him goodbye for the 2nd time. Slowly, he was glad that he was getting to know a new friend.

 

----------

 

The moment he came to his suite he immediately get back sleuthing this tortous enigma he gotten himself into. There's no way turning back. He's really interested to know. DO can't stay calm. So, to console himself from those goofy letters bothering his innocent mind, he gently pulled out the letters outside the box, and luckily, he found clues. These are teared pieces of paper, somewhat the post office's stamp from an envelope. on the contrary, it was an incomplete clue to solve it all. There was some part missing. DO suspected, it was this address:

 

#14 Man Ok St.

Gyeongjju Village

Gyeongjju, Seoul

 

While he was busy studying the letters, he heard a knock. He opened the door of his suite, then his friend, Sehun, barged in. "Hey DO, how's it going huh? Were just wondering why aren't you coming with us these past few days?"

Clubbing and drinking, yes, for DO, this was just an everyday scenario, not until he found the letters. "Sorry, I was alleviating from drinking and stressing myself these past few days."

"Come on, Baekhyun, Chanyeol, Kris and Lay will come, and also, my new pal, Luhan."

"Luhan? Hmmm... Where in the world did you find him?" "At the club just later this week. What are you busy with?"

"Don't interfere with my business. Just send those guys my deepest apologies for my refusal. I really don't wanna come."

"Oh well, I guess you really really do not want to. I would not persuade you anymore, Remember to call me if you change your mind okay?"

"Yes, I'll do it." Sehun left, and for DO, he had gone again backreading the letters. And no wonder, he was so much into them, and the eerie feeling it brought him.

Sniffing the letters, he can recognize its scent but, he can't remember when and where did he encountered that smell. Kinda familiar.

 

-------

 

"Do you really have to go here everyday? Don't you have contact with each other?" DO qued handing him a cup of coffee. "Thanks" He said before he quaff his drink. "Yes I should because, that person is so dear to me, no matter what happens I'll be here. I will not give up. And contact? Yes, we contact through letters. "

And that was DO's everyday scenario. Meeting with Kai everyday there at the bus stop. During every cobbling revelations, DO feel this sympathy and pity for him. In the middle of their chit-chat, DO's phone rang, "Hello? Sehun? "

"Hey man! Do you have time today? Come on with us! Let's have fun!"

"Okay sure, but may I invite some friends to come too?"

"Yes, of course, the more the merrier. Haha! Go here with your fastest speed!" Then he hung up.

"Who's that?" Kai asked immediately. "A friend of mine." DO looked up and noticed the dusky skies. "My, its getting dark, aren't you gonna leave?"

"Yah, you're right. I should go. Thanks again Kyungsoo."

" Welcome." Just as Kai left, it popped in his mind to invite him with his gang to a club.

"Kai, do you mind going to a club until late at night?" He was hesitant, but was convinced right away.

"Uhmm... Yes, as long as you're there."

 

-------

 

Disco lights and loud music are so hospitable enough inside. People making out, while they're a total sot. The odor of alcohol filled the air, sending them that tipsy sensation. As soon they were in, Kai excused himself & had gone in the Washroom. DO then pushed himself through the crowded place and dashed at the bar. There he saw his friends. "At last Kyungsoo you came!" Sehun uttered with his hand holding a tequila. " I missed you DO!" Baekhyun pouted then laughed hard with Chanyeol. Drunken they were, actually. " Ugh, yah..." DO, was absurdly annoyed of his friends.

"Oh I forgot to introduce you, Luhan." He said wantonly putting his arms on his shoulders. "Hi! Luhan nice meeting you!"

"Same here."

"Sehun, this friend of yours was definitely thrift of words right?"

"Yes, he's just like that for now. He really drank hard liquors everytime. He's into some poignant situation these past few days."

"oh is that so? That's bothersome"

"I thought you brought a friend with you?"

"Me? Yah, I do... But he got to be here somewhere... Ah he's at the washroom. I'll check him out for a minute." DO scampered going to the washroom, but he isn't there. He scanned the place until he found Kai, swigging the Soju so wildly as tears escape from his eyes. He rushed to his side and DO caressed him tight in his arms. When he embraced Kai, he felt his stifling cry over his chest. "Kyungsoo, I want to forget him but I can't. I need to tell him that---"

 

-------

 

Somehow, DO knew he's slowly being attached with Kai. But he shouldn't be. Because that guy, has someone significant in his heart. He shook his head this time, going back to his "hobby-like" do.

DO tried to use the clues he found from that bunch of letters. Through that address, he replied to XYZ using a type-written text. He waited the next days for XYZ's response. DO wrote, codenaming himself being ABC's effigy,

 

January 09, 2013

Dear XYZ,

I'm sorry I didn't replied for a very long time. And sorry I disappointed you. I want to see you and hold you now, but I just can't.

ABC

 

He nervously sealed the letter and delivered it to mail. It was crazy though. He realized he's beginning to intrude. But who knows? XYZ might reply back and give him clues about whose ABC. Kyungsoo reflected that this is not proper. But for him, he just wanted to help XYZ.

 

-------

 

He waited days until his mailbox was not anymore empty. He got the letter with its familiar scent then scudded through his bed to read it thoroughly.

 

January 11, 2012

Dear ABC,

It's okay, you don't need to apologize. I should be sorry too that I'll not be able to go there everyday. I was surprised to know you still cared for me. But please, on the 14th please come. Same time, Same Place. I'm begging you & I'm dying to see you.

Loving you ALWAYS, XYZ

 

Conscience hits Kyungsoo as he read the writing. XYZ didn't know he's being fooled by someone who's replying to him that's not in fact the real ABC. He thought of it twice. Thrice. He breathe deeply as he quickly sealed the envelope & send it on post. He had worries in his heart. DO likes it. He likes answering XYZ. Its weird, but he feels really close to him, even he knew him just by his letters.

 

-------

 

While DO was at work, Baekhyun phoned him and said that the previous owner of his suite would come by. He's surprised, because first & foremost he might be getting his unattended properties, in which it made DO, panickly stepped out of his office running home. He of course, go at the bus stop. Where at that cold afternoon, there was no Kai. He became concerned but still he need to get home.

 

Panting through the corridors of that Condo Bldg, he saw from afar that his unit was opened. He ran into it, and was astonished. The previous owner of the suite was Luhan. The new friend of Sehun. He thought, What a small world after all! Luhan was also in awe to see Kyungsoo there giving him a wide eye look. He can't help but flash a gleaming grin. "I was happy you took over this suite. I'm sorry to go inside here without your permission."

"No, it's fine. You may want to take a seat."

"Yeah, sure, but I'll be speedy. I'll just get a box with trashes in it."

"Hmm... Is it the one on the bedroom closet?"

"Yes, did you see it?"

"Uhmm... I saw it but I thought those were just scratch."

"Oh its okay. That's exactly what I'm gonna do. My gratitude for doing it ahead. I better keep going." Luhan held the knob and said farewell but DO made him balk when he suddenly spoke, "Wait, Luhan, I'm just curious, Are you ABC?" He had a sly smirk before he said, "Yes. And how did you know? Did you wasted your time reading those trash?" DO can't believe in the way he free words from his mouth. He replied anguishly, "That's not trash! It's your loved one. He's always waiting for you, sending you these heartwarming letters, then-" DO stopped babbling when Luhan in. "You don't know the whole story! And Who are you to invade our private space? How rude!"

"I'm not invading, I just felt that XYZ really cared for you."

"WHAT? CARED? FOR ME? When? He's giving me such stupid letters with that berserk codename. You don't understand. And you cannot understand the way I'm forbidden. The way I'm kept hidden. Left behind because his parents didn't want us."

"Just because of that?"

"Yes, its a little thing but I'm so fed up you know! I can't stand it! But you know what? I'll leave Korea, to start a new life, to forget him, completely. Because, you don't know Kyungsoo, you don't know... how much I love him so much." Luhan let his heart out. And DO was in ziplip. He can now merely understand everything.

"I'm sorry."

"Don't worry Kyungsoo. It's fine. I'm alright. I just didn't moved on yet, Because going to China, I know I'll regret this. I didn't trust him,to fight for us. It's too late now."

"Apologies Luhan, for acting so harsh to you."

"Its okay, so take charge over here alright? My flight is approaching. Bye." Luhan left Kyungsoo with many truths he can't help to gape at those he just heard a while ago. Thus, even afterall those hysteric drama, he still didn't knew who XYZ was.

 

-------

 

Being badly worried about Kai, after a couple of days he didn't come to the bus stop, was replaced by thrill of meeting XYZ. What was so special with today? Today is January 14th. Its also the day Luhan & XYZ should about to see each other a year ago, but the naïve Luhan didn't come. DO Kyungsoo decided that when he had shown himself to XYZ, he'll reveal everything he did to make a fool out of XYZ.

He predicted that XYZ wasn't that a dupe, he's innocent, and if he'll be angry towards Kyungsoo, he will wholeheartedly admit it and accept the punishes he deserves for his woodwinks. 3:30 PM in his watch, when he arrived at the bus stop.

He saw a man. Coincidently, its His friend, Kai who looked very pale and thin. Kai let out a smile to DO, and faintly said, "You came."

He admit. He missed Kai so much. And now, his worries were washed away because he saw him again. DO go to him, and hugged him. "Why are you here though you're that weak?"

"I'm waiting for my ABC, the one who answers my letters these past few days, could that possibly be you?" DO was astonished. Kai, is XYZ?

"Uh-- Yes, I've been replying but I'm not ABC, He had flied off to China, I'm not him, I'm--"

"I know. It's impossible Luhan will reply. And I'm surprised, it's you, Kyungsoo.And though you're not him, I'll still wanna say these..." After His construe and those spoken words, it was cut by Kai's arms wrapped into him, and breathe the words,

"I love you, but, I'm sorry I can't be with you, I--- "

 

That was he was trying to say to his love. The days he spent endlessly pending at that bus stop. The words he should've said earlier, and the word's he should've said out loud so that he could hear him. Kai's hands on DO's had been dettached falling off with his body. Kyungsoo's tear came downwards his face, as he sights Kai, Codename: XYZ, lay on his peaceful gaeity rest, Exactly on his day spring.