prologue: a notebook

Faded Song

word count: 681 words. Intro.

White.

That was the color Jongin stared at as he held the open, mint notebook in front of him. It was the meaningless thoughts  and the view of life before before he met Kyungsoo. He knew that even though Kyungsoo sang out velvet chocolate, and Jongin danced with his fingers, they had led a lackluster life. The smiles and laughs they had sported off meant nothing, until those precious times they've spent together.

But it also represented the times of innocence of the both of them, that time where you didn't realize that life actually can slip through your very outstretched fingers just like sand. 

Hesitantly, Jongin reached out to the piano in front of him, and gently tapped a key while pressing down on the pedal right foot. A high F-natural rang out, piercing the enveloping silence around he boy. With the pedal held down, the note rang out, more sustained than it usually is.

If only you could use a pedal to hold out the best, yet fragile parts of life, just like how a pedal can accentuate the purest of chords. Jongin wishes that both his and Kyungsoo's life could be drawn out like that, so that both he and Kyungsoo could bask in the best of times for eternity...

The F-natural is barely sounding. Jongin absently reaches his ring finger to revive the dying sound of the note with a gentle tap and let his middle finger drop on the key adjacent to the one his fourth finger just lifted from.

An E-natural rang out.

He muses over how his third and fourth finger was similar to how he and Kyungsoo were before they met other - existing side by side to each other but never actually mingling - before pressing his right thumb to the C-natural and once again touches the F-natural with his ring finger. His thumb pushes down on another key and a C-natural rang out. As the C-natural resonated throughout the room, it gave off the feeling of need for completion. Jongin presses the F-natural, and the melody becomes illuminated more clearly.

He repeats this again but at a much quicker tempo. F, E, C, F.  He decides to become a little more bolder in his "tinkering" as Jongin calls composing. After yet again pressing another F-natural, he stretches his thumb over to the lower A-natural and lets his wrist get pulled over left, in doing so, touching the B-flat -the first accidental/black key in this piece, he muses - next to the A and finally concluding with the touch the same F-natural. Jongin pauses, pulls out a pen and scribbles the notes down on the note book hastily. The notes he wrote down rang in his ears, as if they were the question begging for an answer to be complete. Like a puzzle that is needing that one piece to make it a masterpiece. He stares at the keyboard again and tentatively plays a new melody.

F-natural, C-sharp - his index finger brushes the black key for the second time, E-Natural, and his little finger stretches over to press the A-natural, and descend down to G- natural, and finally resting down to F-natural.

Jongin pursed his lips in annoyance. That's a lot of F-naturals.

There was a silence, save the scratching noises Jongin's pen made when he furiously wrote down the next melody. 

Eventually the blank pages of the notebook were decorated in scribbles of music notes ornamented with sharps, flats, and other accidentals. But Jongin is still scrawling down notes and melodies letting his hands dance across the keys, as they weave a complex mass of beautiful music. 

And when he collapsed on his bed after six hours on the piano, he laughs; he could almost hear Kyungsoo singing out his emotions to the his yet to be shown song.

Thinking of this, he smiled, and wrapped his arm securely around the notebook, before drifting off to sleep. 

As he's doing this, Jongin thinks to himself how he will write the notes, and Kyungsoo will sing the lyrics to their story.

Haha, I've been learning piano for about ten years now. And the song I made Jongin compose is the melody to "Baby Don't Cry". So if there are any references that you don't understand, please ask at the bottom!

Thanks for reading and subscribing, it makes me very happy! (note: gifs are not mine, so if you see it here, and don't want to see it, then I'll gladly take it down!)

This chapter is dedicated to this person for inspiring me to keep writing Kaisoo once again!