Breaking Chains with String

Breaking Chains with String

 

Heechul believed in something like the "red string of fate," in his mind the red string of fate does exist; however, if you are forced to come out to your father that red string might be forced into camouflaging itself because your father has something more powerful up his sleeve. Grimacing, he looked at the simple bands that sat in the box on the jeweler's counter, in Heechul's mind these were the most powerful thing against that delicate and beautiful red string- the chains of an arranged marriage. His father and a business partner had agreed to the engagement of their children- just so Heechul's father wouldn't feel emasculated because Heechul was gay.

Staring at the sterling bands, Heechul sighed as he heard his father tell the jeweler, "They're perfect. We'll pick them up in two weeks." His father then turned and said he would wait for Heechul in the car before walking out of the store. Another sigh slipped passed Heechul's lips as he pushed the box back across the counter and thanked the jeweler.

"Hey, Mr. Kim, wait." Heechul stopped in his tracks and turned back to face the owner of the voice, "You don't want to marry that girl, do you?" Heechul's shoulders tensed as he heard the other's words and he opened his mouth to respond, but the jeweler cut him off again, "There's two ways out of it, you know."

Staring at the jeweler, Heechul debated with himself. Did he really want to escape the chains of marriage so badly? Yes, he did, he decided as his eyes met the jeweler's, "What are those ways?"

"First, you could run off and join the army for your two years of mandatory service."

"But I already did that..." Heechul mumbled to himself.

"The second is to find the one on the other end of your red string." The jeweler stated, smiling wryly.

"How can I find them when I can't see the string?" Heechul managed to keep his voice level as he stared at his hand, frustrated.

"Would you rather be under the chains of an arranged marriage?" The jeweler challenged, causing Heechul's gaze to snap back up to him. Heechul had never heard anyone else use that term.

"Can we talk some more?" He suddenly asked, surprising himself.

"Sure, but your father is waiting..."

"I can take care of that." Heechul interjected before pulling out his mobile and calling his father. He quickly fed the older male with lies regarding a present for his 'wife-to-be'  and how he wanted to shop for it alone. As he snapped his phone shut, he heard the familiar sounds of his father's car starting up and pulling away, "Done. Now, what is your name again?" He asked the jeweler as he grabbed a nearby stool and sat down.

"My friends call me Kangin." The jeweler stated with a nod, "And you're Kim Heechul- order number One-Zero-Two-Seven-A." Kangin listed off, smiling smugly.

"Alright Kangin, you can drop the order number and the surname, just call me Heechul."

It was a simple meeting in the midst of Heechul's most complicated days of life. Heechul could nearly swear he felt that red string of fate tugging at his soul the more he spoke to Kangin; yet with every tug that red string gave, he was reminded of the cold harsh reality of the metal chains and his upcoming arranged marriage. The jeweler and the "engaged to be married" man started meeting daily after that first conversation, Heechul quickly growing more than fond of the muscular jeweler.

It was the day before his father was scheduled to pick up the cleaned and sized rings for the marriage ceremony. That meant Heechul had one week left, one week and then he would be chained to some woman that he couldn't even be bothered to remember the name of. Sighing heavily, Heechul placed his head against the counter as he waited for the jeweler to finish filling out something in his sales log. He knew he had a problem, but he had no idea how to fix it.

"Hey, Chullie, are you okay?" Kangin asked as he came up behind the other and gently massaged the tense shoulders that were facing him.

Sighing contentedly, Heechul didn't respond for a few minutes as he let Kangin's hands relax him, "Not really, I have a problem..." He admitted quietly as he lifted his head slightly.

"Want to talk about it?" Came the offer as the jeweler's hands continued to work.

"Kangin, what would you do if I asked you to save me?" Heechul prompted the other, tilting his head to the side a bit so that he could see Kangin's reaction out of the corner of his eye.

"Save you from what?"

"My chains, my arranged marriage, my current life..." Heechul quickly listed off.

Kangin's hands stopped massaging, disappointing Heechul slightly as he feared he had caused the other to back away, his eyes closed. A moment later though, Heechul's eyes were snapping wide open as Kangin's arms wrapped around his waist, "I'll save you." It was a simple, whispered, promise- but to Heechul it meant the world. Smiling, he leaned back against Kangin's chest.

"Please do."

The following hours flew by quickly, and before Heechul knew it he was standing in the bus terminal with his hand entwined in Kangin's. Kangin had sold his half of the jewelry store shares to his friend, took his last paycheck, and gave Heechul some time to pack. It was eight in the evening, and there were buses going all over the country, but they were taking one to the airport. It was at this moment that Kangin turned to Heechul, "Are you absolutely positive that you want to do this?" he asked as the announcement for the boarding of their bus came over the speaker system.

Smiling, Heechul nodded, "More than anything, you're the key to my chains and the other end of my red string of fate." Heechul murmured, his eyes shining.

"Good, because once we board that bus, I'm not letting you go- for anything." Kangin promised, a smile to rival Heechul's own on his lips.

It was their last night in Seoul, their first night together; and the night that allowed their little red string connect their hearts- for eternity.