1.

What He Doesn't Know

 

Dongho's P.O.V.

 

You’d be amazed if you knew how much I’ve learned about you by observation. The slight change in pitch when your laugh is fake, the way your smile doesn’t quite reach your eyes, and when your gaze flickers to the floor for a split second. I’m sure of it now, you aren’t enjoying the party as much as you are pretending to do. How your boyfriend doesn’t notice, I’m not sure.

That’s right, I know all about it. I hate it.

I have always watched you, albeit not as meticulously as now, when you’re with him. Irony would have it this way, that I only realize how precious you are now.

Eli watches you like a hawk, but he doesn’t see you like I do, not the emotions beneath your actions, or the love you gift him with every day. He doesn’t care for you the same way as you do for him, and not the way that I care for you.

But what can I do but wait for you to realize that, to crash and be suffocated by your own feelings? Even now there’s a concealed sadness in your posture, maybe somewhere deep  inside, you’re already aware. Even though you would alienate me if I spoke up about it. You are so very helplessly in love.

I only watch as you subtly tug at his sleeve, wanting away from the pounding music and the flashing lights in the club, only to receive a weird look and a “The party’s just started Kev, why would we leave?”

He doesn’t know how long the day has been for you, that you woke up at 4 am to prepare breakfast for us, for him mostly. Nor does he know that you got scolded by our manager, and neither is he aware that you grind your teeth, the way you do when you have a headache.

Idiot. If I were him, I would take your hand and take you to the dorm and put you to bed. You would protest, say that you’re fine and smile, but I would have none of it. He on the other hand, is swallowing all your lies whole.

You grin and nod, and the night goes on. Jaeseop manages to convince Soohyun to make out with some blonde girl, and then cackles like the woman he is when he sees the sad result of our leader’s drunken advances. Hoonmin swings by my place in the corner a few times, excitedly talking about celebrities he’s texting. The lack of response on my side bores him, and he’s gone in the crowd once again. I’m not in the mood to party today, but I’m here, watching you.

Just in case you needed me. Hah, right. You’re as fine as you’ll ever be in his arms, as he drags you to the dance floor.

You’re even tenser than before, so painfully obviously not enjoying your time here.

I’m about to leave, I can’t watch Eli fumbling around with you anymore today, but the sight of your blonde mop speeding to the bathroom stops me. My gaze returns to him, he’s staring after you, then shrugs and turns away, not giving you another thought. Bastard.

I place myself outside the bathrooms and wait, minutes ticking by. I pray inside that whatever the idiot said wasn’t so bad, and that you’re not crying in there. When you finally emerge, make up fixed, and eyes slightly puffy, I can’t take it anymore.

You smile, falsely, when you see me, and greet me with a tired voice, thinking that I won’t notice. I take your hand, ignoring the surprise in your expression, and practically drag you outside. Once outside on the silent streets you protest, claiming that you should go back inside, that he’s probably wondering where you went.

“Do you really want to?” I ask, my eyes staring into yours. Something stirs inside you, and your expression softens, and I can see the weariness revealing itself as your shoulders sag ever so slightly.

“… No”

With that I take you home, like he wouldn’t do.

 

 

 

 

 

 

What do you think? Did it match the song at all? Comments and critique are loved <3