More than A Storybook Romance

That One Magic Night...

 

Rae Soo walks to and fro in the room she was assigned to stay with two of her friends. She is not that excited but she is feeling nervous. She couldn’t understand why either. She sits on the bed and then stands up again and opens the door, closes it. Her friend notices her behaviour and she too wonders why their Rae Soo is behaving that way.

“Rae Soo-ah, what’s wrong?” her Tiffany unnie asks. Rae Soo is about to speak when Yoona comes out of the bathroom and she signals Rae Soo for her turn.

“We’ll talk later.” Tiffany says as Rae Soo prepares to take a bath.

When she’s done, her friends are almost prepared to go. Rae Soo wears an orange knee level dress which she tops with a white cardigan. Her shoes are just black, not too high on the heels. When she is finished dressing up, her friends look at her from head to toe, as if they’ve only seen her today.

“OMG! Rae Soo, is that you?” Yoona teases for this is the first time she sees her in an orange dress.

“Dear, you look great.” Tiffany tells her as Rae Soo smiles sweetly. “Ready for the dance?” Tiffany again asks her. Rae Soo just nods as she follows Tiffany out of the room but Yoona stops them to walk out of the door.

“Not yet. She’s not ready yet.” She tells Tiff as she grabs Rae Soo and sits her on the chair.

“Aish! How can you say that you’re ready? You didn’t even put powder on!” Yoona says as if giving her a sermon.

“But... I’m not used to make up, Yoona unnie.” Rae Soo says but Yoona ignores her. Yoona pats powder on her face and puts on a dash of eye shadow that suits her and a little clear lip gloss on her lips. “There. You look better.” Yoona makes sure that Rae Soo still has that sweet innocent look as she is known to be. Her makeup is just a natural one and looks like she has none.

“Now, you’re ready.” Yoona says as she puts a braided hairband on Rae Soo’s hair for the final touch.

Yoona lets Rae Soo stand in front of the mirror. She was stunned when she saw a very beautiful, sweet and innocent young girl in front of her.

“Is this really me, Yoona unnie?” she asks still not believing that she was looking at her very own reflection. Yoona nods. “We should go. We’re already late.” Yoona tells her as she opens the door. A few steps before the door, Rae Soo stops as if hesitating to go or not.

Tiff walks back to the room when she sees Rae Soo still inside. She comes to her and asks a question.

“What’s really wrong with you?” she asks in a little annoyed tone.

“Unnie... I’m afraid. I don’t like to see my ex.”

“Aish! Move on! It’s been a year already and it’s only 2 months that you’ve been together. He didn’t even kiss you as far as I remember.” Tiff complained.

“But... I remember how he betrayed me when I see him.”

“Just show to him that you are not affected and try to hide that hurt, okay?”

“Neh.”

“And remember to smile.”

Tiff and Yoona cling their arms to Rae Soo’s arms and they go to the hall where the social dance is being held. There, they saw Siwon and Donghae waiting outside the hall. Actually, waiting for Yoona and Tiffany. Immediately, the two girls remove their grip on Rae Soo’s arms and run to their boyfriends.

Rae Soo lets out a sigh as she sees her friends running towards their boyfriends. “Seems like I’m alone again.” she speaks to herself.

She enters the hall alone, looking for Tiff and Yoona. She is about to approach them but it seems like they do not like to be disturbed so Rae Soo decides to sit at a corner where no one can notice her. Unknowingly, someone notices her presence and puts already his eyes on her.

While sitting at the corner, she slowly gets bored and puffs her cheeks. She hardly notices anyone in the room right now until someone asked her for a dance. A hand is waiting in front of her and she looks who the owner of the hand is and is surprised when she saw that it was her ex, Kyuhyun. She hesitates at first but puts her hand on his and Kyuhyun leads her to the dance floor.

“So, how’s everything?” Kyuhyun asks her.

“Everything’s fine.” She tells him as she looks down the floor, just in time when his betrayals flashes to her mind.

Kyuhyun, on the other hand, even though he doesn’t admit it to himself, still loves her but Rae Soo doesn’t want another relationship with him. Her trust to this person is not the same as before.

Soon the music ends and Kyuhyun leads her back to her seat and he also sits with her on the next vacant chair. He tries to make the conversation comfortable but every minute he spends with her, only makes the situation awkward. Soon he excuses himself and finally Rae Soo breathes freely.

2 songs passed until someone asks her again for a dance. Just then her world turned upside down. The man led her to the center of the dance floor. To Rae Soo, the man she is dancing with is the most handsome man she has ever seen.

“You seem alone.” The man starts the conversation.

“Yeah. My friends left me with their boyfriends.” Rae Soo replies.

“What about you, where’s your boyfriend?”

“I don’t have any.”

The man nods. “So, what’s your name?” he pretended to ask even though he already knows her name for he had developed a feeling for her years ago. But for Rae Soo, it is her first time to talk to him yet he already made an impression to her the first time she saw him during the piano recital days ago.

“It’s Choi Rae Soo. You?”

“Henry. Henry Lau.”

A playful conversation starts and soon they become comfortable with each other. The song ends but Henry didn’t leave Rae Soo. They talked about random things and laughed and played like they’ve been long lost friends.

Soon it’s the final song for the night and Henry asked her again for a dance. He led her to the garden where there’s a clear view of the stars. Rare night flowers bloom everywhere and their fragrance fills the place. Fireflies are everywhere, giving the site a romantic feel. Rae Soo is amazed for it is her first time seeing fireflies.

“WOW! It’s beautiful here.” Rae Soo exclaimed with glee.

“Because you’re beautiful.” Rae Soo blushed and when she turned around, Henry is already holding flowers picked from the garden.

“For you.” Henry says as he smiles at her sweetly. Rae Soo accepts it as she inhales the fragrance the flowers possess. “Rae Soo, I need to tell you something.” Rae Soo looked at him as he continues to speak. “Listen, Choi Rae Soo, I like you.”

Rae Soo froze for she didn’t expect this to happen. She is shocked and dropped the flowers on the floor.

“How? It’s only now that I met you.” She asked confused and at the same time in an unbelieving tone.

Henry stood up and held her hand. Rae Soo tried to flinch but Henry held her hand tighter.

“Listen... I already liked you the first time I saw your face, and since then I can’t stop thinking of you. I keep watching you in the university, but of course you didn’t see me. And as days passed, my feelings for you grew stronger without me even noticing it. You’re the sun that brightens up my gloomy day and your smile... I don’t want it to fade. It’s only now that I gathered the courage to talk to you. I never wanted t lose you. I know this is a sudden confession but... if you would give this humble man before you a chance...” Henry opened a small box and it revealed a heart-shaped necklace.

Rae Soo just stood there, with tears falling from her eyes. She didn’t expect this to happen especially from a stranger she just met. She didn’t know how to react. But she knew inside her, something is different. She knew that this stranger says the truth and suddenly something whispered in her head that she must really trust him.

Once again, Henry knelt with the box in his hands. “Choi Rae Soo, be my girl.”

Rae Soo looked at him, still eyes teary. She doesn’t know how to answer. He may not be her first boyfriend but she knew how true his words were. And surprisingly, Rae Soo nods.

“Yes... YES...” with tears on her eyes and a smile on her face, she nods and says the word.

Henry jumps in joy as he exclaims how happy he is that the girl of her dreams... finally now is his girlfriend. He took the necklace out of the box and put it around her neck. He hugged her tight and she was happy. They were happy. Henry made a promise to himself to love her sincerely and not to hurt her. He knew that he cannot be a perfect boyfriend but he will do anything to make her happy.

As for Rae Soo, a new chapter in her life opens... it may be so sudden but who knows what will happen. Only the heaven knows. But now, she feels that a part of her is filled, that her happiness is genuine. She doesn’t feel that something is missing in her anymore and for the first time in her life, she wants to stay by his side... forever... even ‘till eternity.