Final

Valentine? Who cares?

 

Valentine? Who cares?
By Sharl/zielddhy
 
 
Kyuhyun twirled his pen, glancing at his watch disinterestedly every few seconds or so, only to be mildly disappointed every time because it was still so ing long until the class ended.
 
The day was boring, just like the rest of week had been so far. The spring classes had begun one month ago, but he deliberately chose a lighter semester compared to the other students, stating that he deserved a break. Now he begun to regret that. The classes he attended were too oh-so-very-easy for him.
 
Still, Kyuhyun preferred to look at everything from a brighter side. At the rate of free time he now had going on, he would get highest score in Starcraft and War of the Warlord. 
 
His phone vibrated and he took it out to see a message from Siwon. Happy Valentine's Day! :) :) :)
 
He tried to bit back a grimace seeing the triple smile. His boyfriend could be too perky sometimes. Kyuhyun put the phone back in his pocket. Two minutes later it vibrated again. You didn't reply T.T
 
He rolled his eyes and texted back. I'm in class.
 
:) I know. Can you come here after class? Ice blended green tea will be waiting.
 
Kyuhyun smirked. Having a cafe owner as a boyfriend definitely had its perks; free drinks all the time was just one example. He typed into his phone. With extra whipped cream and a double chocolate brownies?
 
Sure! :) :) :)
 
 
***********
 
 
The cafe was hideous. No, actually that was an understatement. It was horrible. Kyuhyun grimaced as he stood in front of Siwon's cafe. The whole room was filled with Valentine decorations: oversized styrofoam hearts hanging from the ceiling, pink and red balloons framed both doorways and counters, ugly little Cupid-like figures were placed on each table. 
 
Squaring his shoulders, Kyuhyun took a deep breath and stepped inside. The first thing he noticed was the love songs blared from speakers, some kind of boy-band group singing cheesy words to some unfortunate girl. Couples occupied each table, sharing special drinks or snacks while throwing flirty smiles. Kyuhyun suppressed a shudder, wanting nothing more than get away from this horrible place ASAP, but the thought of free ice blended green tea with double chocolate brownies was just too tempting. 
 
He said hello to Leeteuk who was manning the counter. 
 
"Boss is inside," the barista said. There was this suspicious twinkle in his eyes as he said that, but Kyuhyun chose to ignore it. Leeteuk was always weird so maybe this time was no different.
 
Siwon was working on his laptop, typing furiously when Kyuhyun saw him. He didn't look up even when Kyuhyun closed the door. "Where's my drink and brownies?" He asked as a greeting.
 
The other immediately smiled. "Happy Valentine's day!" Siwon stood and gave Kyuhyun a kiss. 
 
"You said that already."
 
A pout. "It's different; I was texting and now I said it to you directly." Kyuhyun looked unfazed, merely raising his eyebrow and Siwon had the decency to look scandalized. "With a kiss!" he added.
 
Kyuhyun rolled his eyes. "Fine. Val's day. Cupid. Hearts. Yay. Whatever. Now where's my snacks?"
 
Siwon looked disappointed. "You don't like Valentines?"
 
The student merely shrugged. "It's stupid."
 
"How can you say that??"
 
"That's the truth." Now he sported a scowl. "If you're not going to give me what you've promised then I'm going to go." Without bothering to wait for any confirmation Kyuhyun turned around and walked out. He only nodded a goodbye at Leeteuk who was serving a young couple (the guy's arm was around the girl's waist and she let out girlish giggles as he whispered something). 
 
Kyuhyun bypassed Leeteuk's concerned glances and stepped out from the cafe. He was only five steps away when Siwon stopped him. "Hey, what's the matter with you?"
 
"You lied to me," Kyuhyun stated flatly. 
 
Siwon frowned. "I would never lie to you, ever. I love you, why would I lie to you?"
 
Kyuhyun scowled deeper. "Two things. First, you said that you will have drinks and brownies ready for me. And second," Kyuhyun added just when Siwon was about to protest, "If you have nothing else to say I'm going home." 
 
It wasn't that Kyuhyun was unreasonable but you can't blame him. He had spent his day in boring classes and even though he didn't want to admit it, he was looking forward to seeing Siwon, sipping drinks and chatting. And by the time he was there all he could see was Valentine's decoration and a working Siwon. 
 
"What the hell is wrong with you?" The older man began to raise his voice.
 
"Nothing's wrong with me, what's wrong with you?" Kyuhyun should've known there was something strange with Siwon. Normally he wouldn't get mad so quickly even when Kyuhyun was being even more unreasonable than this one. Usually he'd just smiled and say something stupid to make Kyuhyun's mood better. 
 
Siwon, on the other hand, also didn't have the best of days. After he texted Kyuhyun his phone immediately rang and one of his employees There was an emergency at one of the cafe he owned (a new barista messed up the coffee machine and nearly burnt the place down) and so Siwon had to settle things fast: barking orders into his phones and send out furious emails. Not to mention he also had to order numerous things to renovate the interior and everything. The awful thing here was that it all happened on Valentine's day and not only Siwon loved Valentine's day, it was also one of the most profitable day of the year; couples would spend more money to buy something special from Caremark, be that an extra cake or an extra drink. So when Kyuhyun showed up he had forgotten about the ice blended green tea and chocolate brownies. Things went from bad to worse as Kyuhyun very unreasonably stormed out of the room only because the food wasn't there.
 
"You're the one that walked out and now you claimed that there's something wrong with me?" Siwon retorted. "And only because there's no food waiting for you? I didn't know you're this selfish."
 
Kyuhyun's eyes narrowed. "Selfish? I am selfish, don't tell me you've only realized that now." He ignored the pang in his heart as he said that. "This is the real me. So if you cannot accept that then maybe we shouldn't be dating at all."
 
Siwon seemed stunned. "Are you saying that you want to break up with me?"
 
Kyuhyun sighed and ran a frustrated hand through his hair. Everything seemed to be spiraling down so fast and out of control; he didn't even know what they're arguing about. "I'm not saying that," he bit his lip, "I just think... I just... need some time, okay? Let me be selfish and give me some time alone."
 
Siwon opened his mouth to say something, wanting to say that he's sorry for saying that Kyuhyun was selfish but he then just nodded tightly and walked back towards the cafe. 
 
 
**************
 
Kyuhyun watched Siwon's retreating back. There was nithing he wanted more than to say that he was sorry for being such an idiot but somehow his feet refused to move. He then took out his phone and called Changmin but the other man didn't pick up. So he tried calling him again. And again. And again. 
 
Finally there was an answer from the other line. "What?!" Changmin snarled.
 
"Where are you?" Kyuhyun ignored Changmin's irritated question. In his mind, this was an emergency and he needed comfort from his best friend. He didn't care if he was interrupting some MinSu , which seemed to be the reason why Changmin seemed so pissed off.
 
Fortunately Changmin seemed to realize there was something off in Kyuhyun's voice because he immediately replied, "meet me in my apartment in 15 minutes."
 
Fifteen minutes later, Kyuhyun rang the doorbell at Changmin's penthouse. The doorman below  was familiar with Kyuhyun already and so even without an access card Kyuhyun could get into the elevator. The door was opened almost immediately. 
 
The first thing Changmin noticed was how awful Kyuhyun looked. The scowling, the frowns, the tired and frustrated expression; this was the worst he had ever seen him. He stepped aside to let Kyuhyun in. 
 
Kyuhyun plopped face-down on Changmin's sofa, burying his face into one of the plush pillow and not really caring whether he could actually breath or not. Siwon's words replayed itself again and again. Selfish. Was Kyuhyun really that selfish? Maybe Siwon was right, he was too selfish. Oh my god, what had he done? What if Siwon wanted to break up and really leave him? What if after realizing that Kyuhyun was such a selfish bastard, Siwon started to rethink their relationship? What if Siwon wanted to date someone else, like Leeteuk? 
 
He knew there was something strange in the way Leeteuk looked at Siwon. Damn Leeteuk, that son of a bi-
 
"Are you going to tell me what's going on or are you going to commit suicide? If it's the second, can you not do that in my place? It'll be hard to remove your body afterwards," Changmin commented drily from the side.
 
Kyuhyun peeked to glare at his best friend. "Can you not be an for a moment?"
 
Changmin sighed before moving to crouch next to Kyuhyun. He poked at Kyuhyun's cheek teasingly, "What's wrong?"
 
The other turned and propped his head on the pillow. "I had a fight with Siwon."
 
"What's the fight about?"
 
Kyuhyun huffed. "I don't know. It started with-" his words were cut off with the door banged open and stormed in Junsu.
 
"Changmin! Dear Minnie, you won't believe what I'm going to tell you! Oh, hey Kyuhyun." Junsu stopped mid-sentence as he noticed the brooding aura around the brooding student. His 'my boyfriend's best friend is depressed and I need to do something about it' kicked in. He kneeled down next to Changmin and asked. "Are you alright?"
 
"Does it look like I'm alright??"
 
Junsu winced at the other's outburst while Changmin rolled his eyes. He smacked Kyuhyun's head. "Don't take out your frustration on my boyfriend, you spineless idiot."
 
"Sorry, Su," Kyuhyun mumbled.
 
Junsu shrugged. "It's okay, it's not like you're the worst temper I've ever faced anyway," he replied with a pointed look at Changmin.
 
"Hey, I'm not-"
 
"So. You want to talk about it?" Junsu asked Kyuhyun, effectively cutting his boyfriend's words. "You need something? Some tea or coffee?"
 
At the words 'coffee' Kyuhyun was immediately reminded Siwon and he scowled again. Junsu, being a more-empathic person than Changmin realized this. "I'll make you some tea," he said before standing up. One minute later he came back carrying a tray of teapot and three small cups. 
 
Pouring the tea into one of the cups, he gave it to Kyuhyun who accepted it gratefully. He sniffed at the brown liquid: jasmine, his favorite. Junsu knew this was his favorite kind, because they've been friends for so long. He doubted Siwon knew what kind of tea he likes. Kyuhyun frowned. Siwon loved coffee, but did he like tea? Kyuhyun didn't know that, they had been dating only for two months after all.
 
Two months... No, not even for two months. Two months ago they hadn't been dating, at 14th of December he met Siwon at the supermarket. And the day before that Siwon had just kissed him for the second time and he had dumped the chocolate all over the older man. All the memories came to him, how each day passed one by one until on Christmas Day he kissed Siwon. 
 
Kyuhyun's heart was filled with dread. . What had he done? "I'm such an idiot," he whispered. 
 
Junsu and Changmin exchanged glances. "What?"
 
"I need to go," Kyuhyun put down his tea and stood up. "Thanks for the tea, Junsu."
 
"Where are you going?" Changmin asked.
 
"To see Siwon. And apologize to him."
 
 
*****************
 
 
Kyuhyun made it back to the cafe in record time. He was speeding in such speed nearly every car honked at him and he was pretty sure he was chased down by a police at one point. After parking his car, he ran to Siwon's office, only giving an acknowledging glance at Sungmin who was at the counter, replacing Leeteuk. Standing at Siwon's door, he tentatively knocked.
 
"Come in," the deep voice called out from the door. Kyuhyun took a deep breath. He turned the doorknob and stepped in. Siwon was at the desk again, but this time he wasn't working. In fact, it seemed that he was just spacing out but he was confused and very surprised seeing Kyuhyun.
 
Siwon stood up. "Kyu-"
 
"I'm sorry." Kyuhyun cut him. "I'm sorry I'm such an idiot. I didn't mean to say those things," he looked down before continuing, "I'm sorry I'm such a selfish bastard, but I promise-"
 
His words were cut off as Siwon engulfed him in a hug. "Don't say that," the older man whispered, "it's me who's supposed to say sorry. You're not selfish. Okay, you can be difficult at times," Siwon chuckled as Kyuhyun hit him lightly, "but it's part of being in a relationship. Couples fights and we just had our first one."
 
Kyuhyun made an agreeing noise as he hugged Siwon back. 
 
"But Kyu," Siwon looked at the man in his arms, "there's gotta be something else. What put you in such bad mood? Other than the lack of food?" Siwon gave a teasing smile.
 
Kyuhyun scowled. But he sighed and replied, "I hate Valentines. It's stupid. Why do you need to commemorate a day and filled it with love? Why do you need Valentines to realize that you love someone and tell them that? You don't need Valentines for that, just say it everyday. Valentine's stupid anyway. All those pinks and reds and hearts. Plus look at Cupid. He's definitely one weird fella, how can a baby shoots arrows and play matchmaker?"
 
Siwon was trying his best not to laugh. Really, his lover could be so cute sometimes. Kyuhyun liked to over analyzed things sometimes. "Well," he replied, "In my opinion, Valentines  just served as a reminder. You see, sometimes we take things for granted, especially people around us. But on Valentines day, you are reminded to celebrate the love. And for the Cupid thing, he's a god but he chooses to appear as a baby."
 
Kyuhyun made a face that was so adorable and Siwon couldn't resist but giving him abut again, placing a kiss on that soft neck.
 
"Will you move in with me?" Siwon's arms tightened when he felt Kyuhyun stiffened. "I want to know every little thing of you, things that you hate and things that you love. Isn't that what a relationship is all about? To discover everything about your partner?"
 
 Kyuhyun didn't answer for a moment. But then he voiced out his thoughts. "What if you find things that you love are actually those that I hate? Like Valentine? You obviously like Valentines because you know so much about it."
 
Siwon replied with a shrug, "I guess then we'll argue, we'll have a fight, maybe we'll throw a couple of plates and destroy few things. And at the end of the day, we remember hmuch we love each other. We'll look at the things that make us argue and we'll realize how silly they were."
 
Kyuhyun buried his face at the taller man's shoulder. "It sounds good," he said in small voice.
 
"So you'll move in with me?"
 
The student repressed a smile. "Of course I will."
 
The next morning, as Kyuhyun woke up on Siwon's bed, he noticed two things: his boyfriend was nowhere in sight and there was an ugly pink-covered book on a pillow next to him. Groggily he picked up the book and read the title: Ten most outrages Valentines around the world. Celebrate this special day with loved ones and spread the love! 
 
Kyuhyun made a face. That bastard.
 
 
-End Story-
 
 
Author's note: I apologize for any misspelled words and grammar mistakes. I'm still writing and posting this from an iPad so there's no tools to check the grammars and stuffs. Well. Even if it's two days late, happy Valentine's day everyone!