1

Friends?

"Hey um... I don't mean to pry, but... why are you always alone? Don't you have friends?"

"Friends?"
 
A rueful, lifeless smile spread quietly across Junhong's lips as he raised his eyes to meet the inquiring girl. Her cheeks reddened instantly under his gaze. She liked him, that much was obvious. Not that Junhong cared. He doesn't do relationships. No love or friendship. Not anymore. He won't allow himself to be hurt anymore.
 
Scooping up his textbooks without another word, the lanky sixteen year old scoots his chair back further then necessary, letting the metal screech against the cold floor. His deskmate winces at the sound and he smiles again, amused for no reason. Junhong stalks off to the door, intent on leaving her, this classroom, this life if he weren't chicken enough, but he turns suddenly, leaning his shoulder against the doorframe.
 
"I had friends once. But happens, you know?" The boy breaks out in laughter as the girl stares at him, confused. Junhong's laughter turns into loud cackling, making his side hurt. He slams his fist into the wall, dragging his knuckles down the sickly beige paint, a trail of dazzling red blood left in the wake. He hears a gasp and watches as the girl fumbles with her books and rushes past him and out of the room. A tear slips from his eyes and he wipes it away, smiling. "Yea, I had friends once."