of pick up lines...

automated message
Of Pick Up Lines and Denial
for KitsuFireFox
prompt: "baekhyun as a silly, greasy player who uses really lame pick-up lines. chen who plays hard to get but secretly likes baekhyun and his antics"
--

“You know this coffee is pretty hot,” Baekhyun grins, lifting up the styrofoam cup containing his pumpkin spice latte, “like you.” He points at the boy beside him for emphasis, ignoring how Minseok and Zitao explode in laughter on the other side of the table.

Jongdae rolls his eyes. “How long did it take you to come up with that one, Dr. Love?”

Baekhyun pouts and watches as the most perfect being on the planet, named Kim Jongdae, slips out of his seat and leaves the lunch room. Reaching out toward Jongdae’s retreating back, Baekhyun whines. “Baby, come back. I only want to massage your lips with my lips.”

Jongdae keeps walking, Baekhyun slumps over the table in defeat, and Minseok practically falls into Zitao’s lap, the both of them in tears of laughter. (Except this happens every day, every break period, and Baekhyun’s failed attempts at wooing Jongdae should not be this funny anymore; it was never funny in the first place). But thankfully, Baekhyun’s pity parties never last long. He shoots up with a grand smile, ignoring how the two across the table almost fall out of their seats, still laughing.

“He totally wants me. I can still smell his denial as if he never left.”

Minseok calms down first, wiping his face of his tears. “I think you’re smelling your own delusion.” He pats Zitao’s back when the younger boy leans into him, trying to catch his breath. “Really, Baek, he is so not into you.”

Baekhyun dismisses him, humming mockingly. “Sure he’s not into me… Just like you didn’t add music theory to your schedule and join the soccer team because you wanted to creep on Lu Han.”

Zitao splutters and bursts into laughter again. Minseok, with his face reddening, pushes him away and Zitao lands on the floor.

“I didn’t! It’s just coincidental.”

Turning away, Baekhyun shields his face with one hand. “The smell of your denial is so foul and overwhelming, I think I may just faint. Please admit you — oh! Gotta go, Jongdae senses are tingling.”


**


Baekhyun slides up to Jongdae who’s taking books out of his locker. The love of his life is talking to Yixing — who is an eight out of ten on the totally ing gorgeous but not as gorgeous as Jongdae scale — whose locker is next to Jongdae’s. Tossing a wink to the Chinese-born boy, Baekhyun interrupts their conversation. It’s not like they were talking about anything important.

“Hey, y,” he says to Yixing before turning to Jongdae, “and helllloooooo even more y.”

Yixing cracks a smile but that isn’t important because Jongdae is choking and coughing all over the place.

“Oh mah gahd, baby are you sick?” Baekhyun worries. He grabs Jongdae by the shoulders and slaps his hand onto his forehead to check his temperature, not noticing how the beautiful boy freezes up. No fever. Good. He pats down the rest of Jongdae’s body, touching his arms, his chest, his thighs, his crotch.

“Watch the merchandise, you ,” Jongdae spat, slapping the offending hands away. “I refuse to have you touch me with those dirty things.”

“So if I go and wash my hands, I can rub them all over your delicious body? I didn’t know you were so easy, Jongdae.”

Jongdae scoffs. “Even if you do wash them you’re still a piece of filth and I’d appreciate it if you kept your body parts away from me.”

“Your words are so hurtful.” Baekhyun pretends to be in intense pain, falling back against the lockers with his hand to his forehead. “Why do you wound me so?”

“You’re a sad human being,” Jongdae answers, turning back to his locker to get his statistics workbook.

“But I love you,” Baekhyun blurts out.

Jongdae almost drops the books in his arms but he catches them before they scatter all over the floor. Baekhyun, too busy ‘crying’ into Yixing’s shoulder, doesn’t notice the slight widening of Jongdae’s eyes or the way he ducks his head before he recollects himself. He announces he’s going to class, leaving Yixing to ‘comfort’ Baekhyun in the hallway.


**


Everyone knows who Baekhyun is. Everyone thinks he’s awesome. Everyone tries to be his best friend. But, sadly, there just isn’t enough of Byun Baekhyun to go around.


( In the words of his friends:

Minseok: “Stay away from him if you have even an ounce of dignity.”

Zitao: “I’ve never met someone so stupid.”

Yixing: “His mother is such a sweet woman. I don’t know how she gave birth to such a monster.”

Lu Han: “He’s secretly a serial killer.”

Sehun: “Who the hell is Baekhyun? Oh, are we talking about that kid who harasses people? He owes me fifty dollars.”

Chanyeol: “I dated him for a while. They wouldn’t let me get a restraining order against him.”

Jongdae: “I wish he would stop with the ty pick-up lines. And realize that I’m too good for him.” )


Everyone secretly wishes they could be Baekhyun. But, sadly, Baekhyun’s level of perfection is too high for them to reach.


**


Some girl from his class walks by him and waves shyly at him. Baekhyun, like the nice guy he is, wiggles his fingers in return. He even blows her a kiss, laughing when she swoons. Oh, the peasant folk. How sad and pitiful, they are.

The chair to the left of his own scratches against the floor and Baekhyun whips his head around, his senses on high alert.

“Is your dad an art thief?”

Jongdae raises an eyebrow, showing just how much he thinks Baekhyun is the stupidest being in the entire observable universe. Either way, he plays along. “Why do you ask?”

“Because you’re a masterpiece.”

Jongdae rolls his eyes. He tosses his books onto his desks, cursing their teacher for assigning their seats next to one another.

“Baby, why you gotta play so hard to get?” Baekhyun cries, tossing his arm over Jongdae’s shoulder.

Jongdae nonchalantly shrugs the arm off. “Who said I’m playing?”

“I did. Because everyone wants Byun Baekhyun. He’s just a lovable guy.” The flirtatious boy grins, raising his thumbs at the other.

“I’m sorry but you’re mistaken. I’m not ‘everyone’, I’m Jongdae.”


**


“He’s looking at you again.” Minseok says. He traps the ball beneath his foot when Jongdae kicks it over to him.

“I know. I can feel his gaze on my back. I’m hoping that if I ignore him long enough he’ll go away.” Jongdae waves his hand to signal Minseok to kick the ball back. “You have someone looking at you too.”

“What?” Minseok turns around and scans the length of the field, only seeing the rest of his teammates engrossed in their warm-ups. He looks at Jongdae. “No one was looking at me.”

Passing the ball back to Minseok, Jongdae looks behind the other boy, easily catching Lu Han’s glance. The Chinese boy narrows his eyes and places a finger to his lips, warning Jongdae to shut up. Both he and Minseok are idiots, Jongdae thinks.

“WOOOO!”

Everyone on the field stops and turns to the bleachers. Jongdae rolls his eyes — he does that a lot if you haven’t noticed — at Baekhyun pumping his fist in the air.

“THERE’S NOTHING I LOVE MORE THAN A MAN (named Kim Jongdae) IN (soccer) UNIFORM.”

Getting back to their passing drills, Jongdae sighs. “I don’t know what it’ll take to get him to give up.”

Their coach blows the whistle to stop their drills.

Minseok starts down field, dribbling the ball leisurely. Jongdae follows, ignoring Baekhyun’s obnoxious professions of love.

Minseok looks back at him for a second. “You’re blushing, Jongdae. I hope you know that.”


**


Everyone knows Jongdae as the guy Baekhyun’s after. Everyone likes Jongdae. Everyone thinks Jongdae is a cool guy. Really nice to hang out with. Sadly, Jongdae doesn’t like people.


( In the words of his friends:

Minseok, Zitao, Lu Han, Yixing: “He’s doomed.”

Sehun: “Who the hell is Jongdae?”

Chanyeol: “He should get a restraining order before it’s too late.”

Baekhyun: “Five words. Him. Me. Bed. Lights. Off.” )


Everyone is waiting for Jongdae to snap and send Baekhyun to an early grave. Sadly, that’s probably not going to happen.


**


“Daebaby, your eyes are like warm pools of mud after a midsummer torrential downpour in the middle of a forest.” Baekhyun says, leaning his head on Jongdae’s shoulder — he’s so happy he hasn’t been punched yet — and gazing longingly up at his face. “And that was probably a really bad simile but that’s okay because there are no words to describe how absolutely beautiful you are.”

Jongdae puts his pencil down and takes in a deep breath. He looks down at Baekhyun the best he can. “Aw, Baekhyun, that was so sweet,” he says. There’s so much sarcasm laced in his voice it leaves a bad taste in his mouth. “Now get out of my personal space. Being so close to you is lowering my IQ.”


**


Jongdae opens his locker and a fake rose nearly pokes his eye out. He jerks his head back and curses, pushing the deadly thing back in.

“What’s that?” Yixing asks, peeking over his shoulder and into his locker.

Sighing, Jongdae pulls out the rose and turns around, showing it to his friends. Yixing, Sehun, Zitao, and Chanyeol all stare at it, the first three with amusement clear in their eyes.

“Why don’t you ever get me fake flowers?” Sehun turns to Zitao.

The panda boy chuckles. “Because you don’t like flowers. Not even fake ones.”

Sehun blinks. “True.”

“I’ll stop loving you when that flower dies.”

All of the boys flinch except for Chanyeol. They turn to see Baekhyun leaning on the wall across the hallway, Minseok playing games on a PSP by his side (but no one really cares about him).

Jongdae looks from Baekhyun to the flower in his hands to Baekhyun again. “You want this, Yixing?”

Yixing shakes his head. “I really don’t want Baekhyun to kill me in my sleep.”

Everyone else watches as Jongdae twirls the plastic stem between his fingers.

He shrugs. “Then, thanks Baekhyun. I guess.” Taking his english book out of his locker, he shuts the door and coolly walks to his next class.

Baekhyun almost faints.


**


(In the words of their friends:

Zitao: “He’s so obvious.”

Sehun: “I agree, it’s so painful to watch.”

Lu Han: “What’s painful to watch?”

Sehun: “Nothing, Lu Han. Keep daydreaming about Minseok.”

Minseok: “Huh?”

Lu Han: “Uh, nothing! He told me to, uh, keep force-feeding my flip-flops.”

Yixing: “The two of you are painful to watch too.”

Zitao: “It hurts so bad.”

Minseok: “What?”

Lu Han: “Nothing, Minseok, nothing.”

Zitao: “When do you think Jongdae will confess that he actually likes Baekhyun back?”

Yixing: “I don’t understand how anyone could ever be attracted to him. He’s like the walking definition of a bad boyfriend.”

Zitao: “I wonder what was going through Chanyeol’s tiny brain when he was dating Baekhyun.”

Chanyeol: “I’m right here, you know.”

Zitao, Yixing: “Yeah, we know.”

Sehun: “Who the hell is Chanyeol?” )


**


As soon as class lets out for lunch break, Baekhyun initiates Operation: Profess My Love to Jongdae #394873928. He waits for Jongdae to gather all of his books and get out of his seat before tackling the boy into a hug.

“Get off me,” Jongdae growls, trying to shimmy his way out of the hug. Too bad Baekhyun doesn’t plan on letting go. Even if that means dying with Jongdae in his arms.

“You know if I had to choose between breathing and loving you, I’d use my last breath to say ‘I love you’,” Baekhyun confesses for the millionth time, stupid grin on his face as always.

He waits for Jongdae to roll his eyes or scoff or elbow him in the gut or call him an idiot. Imagine his surprise when Jongdae laughs aloud and time literally stops.

“Whoa, did the sun come out or did you just smile?”

The huge grin on Jongdae’s face falters. “Oh my god, Baekhyun, if you don’t shut up —”

Baekhyun swoops in and presses his lips firm against Jongdae’s (and it’s a little awkward because Jongdae was in the middle of speaking but that only makes it more perfect and blahblahblah fireworks and singing angels).


**


Baekhyun and Jongdae walk into the lunch room, their fingers intertwined. Baekhyun looks like he’s emperor of the universe and Jongdae looks pissed off, as usual.

“And you guys said he wasn’t into me,” Baekhyun sings as soon as he sits down at their table, pulling Jongdae into the seat next to him.

“You were the only person who didn’t know he liked you back,” Zitao says, stabbing a mound of mystery meat.

Lu Han breaks off a corner of a bar of chocolate and nudges Minseok with his elbow. “Want a piece?”

Minseok tilts his head to the side, nodding.

“Who the hell stole my chocolate bar?” Sehun yells.

Looking down at the chocolate bar in his hands, Lu Han’s eyes widen. He turns to Minseok, who is thanking him for the chocolate, and stuffs it into the boy’s mouth. Hiding the chocolate bar away from Sehun, he doesn’t notice the warm blush that colors Minseok’s cheeks.

“Why aren’t you guys more happy for us?” Baekhyun whines, splaying himself out across the table to get attention. Jongdae rolls his eyes at his boyfriend’s antics.

“Hurray?” Yixing offers, not taking his eyes off his cell phone.

“Woo?” Minseok tries to say around a mouthful of chocolate.

“Congrats?” Zitao adds, still preoccupied with trying to kill the moving lump on his tray.

Chanyeol shakes his head and reaches for his diet soda. “I still think Jongdae should have gotten the restraining order.”

Sehun narrows his eyes. “Where. Is. My. Chocolate. Bar?”
 


--
to my lovely dani (kitsufirefox) bb: i know you were like "omg i'm going to like it no matter what"...but i hope really actually like it lol. do i get bonus points for ninja-ing in some of your other ships?