The Talking Earphone

Earphone the Communicator of my heart

 

The movie has finished and the lights in the cinema are all switch on. Everyone stand up and getting ready to go out. Kris and I now come back to the real world after watch a very tense horror movie.

We both make eyes contact and a big sigh. “How was it? It’s good isn’t” I state first.

He can only nod the fact that he hates horror movies. But because we always watch romance movie, today I decided to watch horror movie. Since I always listen to him, this time he can’t refuse to watch it.

As I step one step forward I can feel something under my sneakers. When I look at it; “Wow! An earphone! We didn’t see that earlier” I am amazed. Actually I am thinking about to buy a new earphone when we go out from this cinema. But now I don’t need to buy anymore. This is a branded earphone and my favourite white colour.

Kris smirks and asks “Is that even working? May be someone throw it because it’s broken”

Oh! Yeah I didn’t think about it. It can be already broken. But anyway I pick it up “I am going to check it”

As we are going out from the cinema, I am busying to check the earphone. I take out my phone, connect the plug of the earpone to my phone, open a song and when listen to it “Hey! Kris it does working. Listen! Listen! Oh my god the quality is so good” 

“May be one of your fan want to give it to you?” he expresses his though. I laugh out loud “Ha haa… how can I have fan none of my songs have been publish yet” we both laugh at the same time.

“So, I think someone drop it accidently in the cinema” he unsurely said. After a minute of pause he continues “but no one across in front of us while we were watching"           "Yeah"  

"And we didn’t see any before”

“Anyway stop thinking about it now, this is just my luck ok?” I pad his shoulder. 

 

In my room

I take out the earphone to listen to music while lying on my bed. I open my favourite song and humming along with the sound. “la la la…..la…la” As the songs are in playlist all the songs come one by one. When a third song is playing I suddenly hear a sound sharply come into my ear “Tsuuu……..giiiiii…….”           “Aowwww what is that” I yelp in pain of my ear and take out the earphone. After a minute, I can hear a song is playing softly. This song is so unfamiliar to me. To know what it is I put back the earphone into my ear. An unknown song by a female singer is playing. Initially I am thinking “I haven’t heard this song before. And the voice is also unfamiliar”

After 3 minutes, I am alerted by the silent into my ear. The song is just finished. I didn’t even know myself that I was into that song. I awkwardly clapping lightly without knowing myself doing it and say out loud “Wow this is amazing”

“Thank you” a girl voice softly comes into my ear. I close my eyes hardly and shake my head denying the sound that I just heard. Hit my head with my hands and claim myself “Be careful Luhan! Be careful! You are thinking about music too much”  

“No! I am saying thank you”

“Huh!” I am in a daze for a minute. The girl continues “Hello Luhan” I look around my room, no one is there. It could be a recording in my phone. I take out the plug of the earphone from my phone. However, the voice is still not disappearing.

“Don’t worry, I am not gonna harm you. I am just bored and want to talk” Gosh a girl is talking to me by this earphone. My mind is complicating and don’t know what to do. So I ask her anxiously “W…w…who are you?”

She replies with her charming voice “Yoona. You can call me Yoona”

“Yoona?”                     “nee” she answers.

“How can you talk to me by this earphone?” I ask her curiously. I am just so bored staying silently that’s why” she replies an unmatched answer. “No! I am asking how you can talk on this earphone.” “Well this is simple. I just talk and you can hear because you have ear” “Aishh this girl” my phone ring suddenly. I look at the name. It’s Kris. “Hello! Luhan”

“Hello! Ya Kris I have something to tell you” “What?”

As I am afraid, that the voice of the girl will disappear. “Okay I will tell you later” and I quickly hang out the phone. “Hey Yoona”  “Yes!” thanks god she is still here. "Your voice is so sweet and the song is awesome"   "Thank you" she replies. 

“Tell me about yourself” I request. “About me? Nothing really just a girl who love music and like singing” she summarises about herself. “What is the title of the song that you sang a while ago?” “No title. It’s just a song” she answer very light-heartedly.

“Don’t you think a song should have a title?”        

“Should it? So why don’t you give one?”

“Okay, so sing that again and then I will think for the title”

“Okay” she replies. After a minute of pause, I can hear her charming voice. She is singing the unknown song. Although there is no instrumental sound, her vocal is complete perfect. As I hear the song, my mind gets so fresh and feeling like I am under an open sky at the top of the mountain. No stress, no pressure, I forget about everything for 3 minutes and satisfying the moment. After 3 minutes, her question snatch out me from my day dream “Do you got it?” she asks. “Yeah........It’s .... Melody World”

“Wow, that’s cool” she satisfyingly says. “But let me know how you can come up with name Melody world”

“Um… because the song is about how pleasant is a song that the two characters sing together and, it can even bring them into a delightful world where no one else is exit, right! So isn’t a Melody World? It’s focus on a song, love and romance and a new world”

“Fair enough” she mutters. *..BEEP.. BEEP.. BEEP..* a sound like when phone hang out suddenly appeared from that earphone.

“Hello! Yoonashi……hello” “she is gone” I mumble follow by a long deep sigh. I lie down on my bed and stare at the ceiling. Everything which happened today, flash back on my though. Starting from the picking up the earphone and until I give the title of the song. How can this happen? Was I dreaming or is that an imagination? Or …what? I really don’t get it. But I did really hear over the earphone a girl was singing a song and I will be definitely waiting to hear her voice again.

 

The next early morning

Wow! I don’t even know I was fall asleep last night while thinking about her. I grab my phone next to the pillow and I ring to Kris. “Hello!” He replies in a sleeping tone “Hello..What?... why are you calling me this time?” I glance at the Clock. Ahh! It’s 6 o’clock in the morning. “Sorry man, I though you already woke up. Anyway I have something to tell you”

"------------------"            “Are you listening?” I ask in doubt, in case he might fall asleep.

“Yeah, I was but not now. I am gonna sleep now bye” he hangs out the phone so quickly.

 

At 10 AM

Someone knock the door. “Come in” It’s Kris. He comes in and sits on my bed.  

“Why did you call me so early? Don’t you know that time is the best time while sleeping?” he utters while frowning his face.  

“Sorry man, but I have something to tell you. Something strange”

“What? About your dream? Is that why you call me early morning?” he mocks.  “Listen to me” I louder my voice.

“Okay .... go on”

“You know the earphone that I picked up from the cinema yesterday?"                           "Yeah! what happen?" 

"It's talking” He smirks in disbelieve. “Are you still dreaming?”

“No, I am serious. Last night, I was listening to music with that earphone. And suddenly a song just activated by itself. And it was a girl’s voice. Then, she greeted me and we talk for a while. But finally the sound just disappeared”   

My words immediately burst him into laughter. "bwahaha... Come on Luhan, say something sensible. How can a pair earphone talk?”

“I am not joking. Seriously! I am telling the truth” I tried to convince him but such a waste. “Okay so I think you should see a doctor” he calmly says.               “What? You mean I am crazy? Huhh!” 

“No..No..No.. I am not saying you are crazy. I mean because you listen to music a lot and you want to be a composer, in your unknown mind you are addicted to music. So you’ve started imagine about music. And since you don’t have girlfriend, there can also be a girl in your imagination. Like what you’ve told me. The talking earphone, the song and the girl”

“Basically, what you are saying is I just start thinking some weird imagination just because I want to be a composer and want a girlfriend desperately, Huh!”              He smirks. 

“I am seriously not joking” I louder my voice and wider my eyes.

“Okay then, where is that earphone? Let me listen” I grab the earphone on my desk and put one side to my ear and give the other side to him. he glances at the unconnected earphone and wear it in his ear in doubt. “Yoona-uh could you please make some sound so that this guys will believe me. Don’t worry about him. He won’t tell anyone. He is my best friend”

We both listen to the silent for a minute. But the earphone is just soundless. Finally, Kris takes out the earphone and speaks up “Come on Luhan, forget about it. Let’s go somewhere”

I can’t do anything but a deep sigh. I don’t bother to explain anymore. He won’t trust me without any proof.

 

At night

I am sitting on a chair while reading a novel. I glance at the clock, its 6: 30 PM. Where is she? It was around 8 o’clock that we were speaking to each other. When is this earphone going to speak or sing? Just like yesterday time? I don’t know why, I want to hear her voice and the song that she sings. Although I am reading a novel, it can’t really absorb my concentration as I am looking forward to hearing from her.  

Suddenly, I hear some noise from that earphone. I immediately wear it and utter “Yoona-shi? Yoona?” “Yes!” she responds. “Why didn’t you make some noise this morning when I was calling for you?” I ask in a grumpy tone. “I am sorry.” “Sorry can’t do anything. Because you didn’t make any sound, now Kris thinks that I am crazy” I moan her. But her apologise make me no longer to mad at her. “I am very sorry. But I don’t want any other people to know about this. Could you please promise me, that you are not going to tell any other people.”

“Okay, I won’t tell anyone about this, but you have to tell me more about you”          “I will”

“Why I can only speak with you this time? How about if I want to talk to you during the noon? How can I communicate with you?”

“After 6 o’clock in the evening is the best time for me to do what I want. So yeah please understand me”         “Okay Okay I won’t ask you many question any more just tell me about you when you want to tell me ok? By the way do you have many songs to sing for me?”

“Yes I have lots of songs, but I will only sing you a song per day. And you also have to sing to me”

“ha ha.. Okay”

 


 

Just like this day by day passes. She sings me a song every night and I also sing for her while playing my guitar. It has been a week that we’ve met. Although, I don’t know about her yet and it’s a short period of time, the attachment between me and her is getting stronger and stronger. I think I am definitely falling in love with her voice. I don’t really care how does she look like outside but I love her. I have decided to confess tonight.  

“Yoona-uh I have something to tell you”

“Really! I also have something to tell you. But you tell me first”

“I know we haven’t really know about each yet but it doesn’t matter for me. I love you. I love you so much”

“Luhan-shi waits a second, I will tell you about myself first. So think about it carefully then you can tell me what you think about me…” just before she finished her sentence, the door room is knocked. *knock..knock…..knock..knock” her voice is disappeared. “Come in” I say and the one who is coming toward me is my mum.

“Luhan! can you drive me you go to your uncle now” she says worriedly. “Why? What happen?”

“He got car accident and now he is at the hospital” “really! Okay let’s go now” I quickly wear my coat and grab a car key. “Yoona-uh I will talk to you later” I mumble.

 


 

My uncle is fine now. So we are going back to home.

On the way back to home

“Huh!” I am shocked. “What wrong?” Mum asks me. I stop the car and searching for something. “What are you searching for?” she asks.            “My earphone”

“Earphone?”

“I think I left it at the hospital”

“Are you sure? May be you left it at home?” she guesses.  “no no… I am sure I brought that with me”  

“Anyway just get it tomorrow”

“No I have to get it now, how about if someone took it?”

“Luhan! ... I will buy you a new one, better than that. It’s too late now I want to sleep”

“No you can’t buy something like that anymore. I have to go and get it now” I don’t listen to mum anymore and just turn the car and drive in high speed to the hospital. I have to get it back. It is so important for me.

Arrive at the hospital and run toward my uncle’s room. I saw a nurse and ask her “did you see any white earphone?” she shakes her head, saying no.

So where is it? Did it drop down at the corridor? I look for it all the way that I was before but can’t even see its shadow. Immediately, I see a cleaner, an old man. “Sir did you see any earphone?” he replies “What colour?”

“White”

“Arr yes I saw it. But a kid found that and he took it.” “Do you know where that kid is?” I ask curiously. “He is a patient in room 209”

“Okay sir, thank you so much I am going to find him now” I quickly bow and run to the room that he mentioned. Saw a kid with his parent. “Hello boy” I greed him with a smile on my face and bow to his parent. “Arr a cleaner said that you found an earphone. It’s mine actually. Do you still have that?” he shakes his head. “Don’t worry I will buy you a new one. That one is old now” he is still shaking his head. “Where is it? Can I see it?”

Finally he speaks up “Why do you want that? It’s not even working” “It is working. Actually it doesn’t matter. I just want to get it back”      

“I already thrown it cause it’s not working” he said innocently.

“What? You threw it? Where? Where did you throw it?” I ask curiously.

“There!” he points to the window. He threw it down from that window. I look down from that window but can’t see properly as we are in 20th floor. I rush down the ground floor and outside to see the place that he threw. As soon as I see that place, my body shudders in disbelief. Tear starts falling down. The earphone is broken into pieces at the motorway, as a result of crushed by car. How can this happen? Yoona-uh tear falling continuously. It was my entire fault, because of my lack of care. What can I do now? Am I not able to communicate with you anymore? I kneel down on the platform and watching the broken earphone. “Yoona-uh” I yelp in pain. Feeling like empty as there is no organs inside my body. Is that all for us?

 


 

“Luhan! Ya Luhan! Be careful” I open my eyes slowly. “Where am I?” feeling badly headache.

“You are at the hospital” Kris answers.

“What? How can?” I am confused.          “Can’t you remember anything?”

I shake my head “my head is aching so much"

“Okay listen carefully. You are at the hospital because you got crushed by a car” I listen in silent. “Do you remember you encountered an earphone, then you were trying to check if is working or not. So on the way when we across the road you were busying with taking out your phone out, putting the earphone plug into your phone and opening music. That time you got crushed by a car.

“But aren’t we together?”    “Yes we were together but you were walking behind me. So I didn’t notice about you”  

“Huh! I remember now. Where is that earphone?” I ask him curiously. “I threw it since that day. It’s not even working and because of that you are in this situation now”

*face palm* so I was dreaming? No, it wasn’t a dream. I am sure I was speaking with Yoona over the earphone. God please let us meet in the real world. This time I won’t be lack of caring about her.

 


 

After spending a week at the hospital, I am able to go home now.

“Are you ready? Let’s go now” Kris states in joy as I am all right now. “Can we go and eat at the central city? At the restaurant where we usually eat.

“Okay why not, let’s go”

After the parking the car, we walk to the restaurant.

 After a few steps of walking, we see a crowd. Kris pull me into there to examine what is happening. In the middle of the crowd I see a girl singing a song while playing a hot pink colour guitar. Her voice is so sweet. Immediately I realise something which is the song and the voice. It is the song that Yoona sang to me over the earphone. And the voice is exactly the same. I am sure this is Yoona.

 So she does exit in the real world. Thanks god. The song has stopped and every one clap for her. I walk near to her, stand right in front of her. “What is your name?” I ask softly. She replies with a sweet smile on her face “Yoona! You can call me Yoona” I am frozen for a second. She did answered exactly like this before.

She is really Yoona.

The girl who sang songs for me. The girl I love. The girl we communicated over the earphone. 

This time I will definitely not going to let her depart from me anymore. I will take care of you more than before.

Thank you God for reminding me how to take care of my love by that little dream or at least what people might think.