Final

Roses Are Red

My phone buzzes. "Meet me at the swings tomorrow," the text from Hoon says. "Ten o'clock sharp;)"

" it a surprise?:D" I text back immediately, a hopeful smile blossoming involuntarily across my face. Tomorrow is Valentine's Day.

"You betcha!"

Valentine's Day...

Maybe you shouldn't hope too much, a hateful but logical voice says in my head.

Maybe you should just shut up, I tell it crossly.

Sure, I may be overreacting, but Valentine's Day. He's always been the romantic type. I can hope, can't I?

Sure, the voice says snidely. If you don't mind the disappointment.

I do mind, actually. But what can I do? In his eyes, I'm no different from the rest of his bros--- our bros. In his eyes, I'm as much of a boy as they are.

Maybe you should've listened to the girls. Maybe you should've dressed and acted more like a girl.

But then, I've never been one to adhere to stereotypes or go with the flow. I'd die before wearing a skirt or putting on makeup or doing aegyo and going "oppa!" like the other girls do so willingly and naturally. Ew.

 

Or maybe, you should just stop over-thinking this.

Maybe I should.

 

 

I sit on the swings, ridiculously punctual.

I glance at my watch.

10:01.

He's late.

I glance around the park.

I look at my watch again.

Why am I so nervous?

Stop that, the voice chastises.

After a few minutes of agonising waiting, a young boy holding a bonquet of roses larger than his head stumbles over to the swings. How sweet. Young love.

To my surprise, the boy stands in front of me and mumbles something incoherent, hugging the bonquet tightly.

"I'm sorry, what?" I'm careful to keep my tone kind and gentle. The boy is terrified and hiding his face behind the dark red roses, so dark they're almost black.

"Are you Lumi?" I have to lean forward to hear him.

"Yeah, why?"

He sticks the bonquet into my face. "'S for you," he mutters.

For me?

I take the bonquet in my arms gingerly and the boy takes off immediately as if the devil is after him.

I inspect the bonquet and find a small card slipped among the thorny flowers. It's creamy white with flowing red ribbons decorating the edges, a sentence written in the middle in elegant cursive.

Look behind you.

I obey, curious. There's nothing but trees and bushes behind me. Is this some kind of joke? Is this Hoon's idea of a joke?

I turn back around, staring at the crimson roses in my arms. Maybe I should leave. I get up slowly, the soft, silky petals, a feeling of sadness washing through me.

"Lumi." My head snaps up at Hoon's voice. We look at each other, at a loss for words for the first time.

I break the awkward silence first. "Look," I say, unable to hide the bitterness in my voice. "Roses."

"Dark red ones," he replies quietly. "Your favourite."

I stare at him. His expression is unreadable.

"Did you---"

"Lumi, I---"

We stop. He clears his throat and continues hurriedly.

"I--- I really like you, Lumi." The blush creeping up his neck is as red as my roses. I feel my cheeks flaming up as well.

I open my mouth, but no sound comes out. I'm stunned. Is this for real? Hoon? Likes me?

His eyes are dark, wide, scared, and my reflection in them looks the same. As if by an unspoken mutual agreement, we lurch forward at the same time and our lips connect.

My eyes flutter close. Our lips mold perfectly against each other. My first kiss is sweet and terrifying and gentle and alien. His hands reach up to cup my face and my lips part at his touch.

Too soon, we break away for air, and I suddenly start laughing. I don't know why I'm laughing, but it breaks the awkwardness.

Before I can say anything, voice my questions and anxiety, Hoon answers them as if he's just read my mind, murmuring in my ear, "I like you just the way you are."

It's an overused phrase, but he's sincere when he says it and that's all I need to banish my fears and worries.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, that wasn't very fluffy. I'm sorry. It just kind of... happened.

The first few drafts were so much angstier though. This is the fluffiest one of them already.

Oh well. It's still a happy ending and I know you like happy endings :D

Happy Valentine's Day my fellow single ladies and gentlemen!

Join me in the Forever Alone Army! Together... ALONE!