First

Her Surreal Escape

 

 

On a morning so bright, the atmosphere was incredibly dull.

 

Barely anyone smiled, no one grinned, and a laugh was heard once every year. The physical outlook of the city was nothing better. The grove of trees lacked color and support. The insufficient amount of animals lessened to only ants, wild dogs and the rare appearances of common birds. The sun’s blazing rays gave everyone a brighter appearance, but it radiated excessively so no one thought it was anything less than a hindrance.

 

People covered every inch of the main sidewalk. Adults rushed to work while children delayed their travel to school. Vehicles of all sizes and designs fought the meaningless race to head to their destinations first. Constant traffic thus arose in the cramped streets.

 

In the middle of the road stood a distraught looking girl. 

 

Miyun had a clear destination etched in her mind, but her careless walk suggested that she really had no objectives. She wove her way around bony men and frivolous teenagers as she headed towards a corner street of the city.

 

Her house lay there, but she never knew her home. While growing up, Miyun realized that aspirations were never meant for people who lived in such a hopeless place. She would not leave though, because no point on earth was safe from the nefarious activities of humans. 

 

As she rounded the last block from her home, Miyun put her hands in the pockets of her jacket and looked up at the powder blue sky. Negligible thoughts rushed through her mind as she sighed in defeat. There was nothing meaningful left to do.

 

At that moment, Miyun heard a slight rustle in the dirt ground behind her. Still having the hints of caution that she once grew up with, she immediately turned her body to capture the culprit of the noise.

 

She expected the disturbance to be caused by a careless animal or the wind. If those two failed, she believed it was her imagination finally playing tricks on her already questionable mental state.

 

But the culprit fit none of those descriptions.

 

“You seem like a pleasant girl,” a middle aged man snickered sinisterly. He looked oddly familiar, though Miyun could not find a place for him in her river of memories. All she knew was that his long charcoal colored coat, impossibly thick eyebrows and psychopathically fierce smirk rang a bell in her mind. But who was he, really?

 

Miyun was brought back to reality when she heard a loud and disturbing clicking noise surround the air. Her vision reached the small, metallic object in the grasp of the man's right hand. It was a weapon, she was sure of that, but a great portion of its remaining information remained vague to her. No one in her city used it, and yet she was so sure that she saw it in the past.

 

Finally, she realized what it was: an armament dubbed a gun.

 

But the recalling of the weapon was useless. An immediate second later, the man viciously pulled the trigger.

 

Miyun did not even see her own blood splatter on the ground behind her.