Love.

Last Destination

A/N Credits to junghyn (tumblr) for the amazing edit.

-

“This is my letter to the world

That never wrote to me” 
― Emily Dickinson

The world lacked love. It was as simple as that. Maybe it was supposed to, a tiny messy scrawl of 'love' imprinted on a lonely strand of the world's DNA, but had gotten overriden over time. As evolutionists suggest, it because unneeded, unnessecary parts of whatever organism, over generations don't stay and get replaced by maybe another part that will help with it's survival. And in the end, love wasn't seen to be needed.

"But love is needed," Daehyun mused. "I think we need it." He traced the little wooden swirls on the aged table, making a path through the dust that had rested on it.

"Hey, Youngjae, what do you think about love?"

"Mm. Wait, i need to reassemble this gun before Yongguk blows up at me, no pun intended."

Daehyun moved closer to Youngjae, tilting his head towards his boyfriend. Propping his hands under his chin, he stared from the other side of the table. "No seriously. Why is the world filled with hatred? I think we need more love in this place." 

Youngjae sighed, little curls of white escaping from his lips, dissipating once again into the still winter air. "Daehyun, we all need love, and i do know that. I've got all the love i need, and i'm sure the world has enough of the damned love to go around." He gingerly started to polish the side of the gun. "But, putting it into the basics, Daehyun, we live off hatred. We ing shoot people, and people ing shoot us. Do they fire those bullets because they love us? Do we?" Youngjae slid a bullet into the gun and with a click, immediately shot a target at the end of the deserted room. Both did not flinch. Years of living the hard life had calloused their reactions to the sudden sound.The bullet had gone through the head of the painted target.

Satisfied, inhaling the lingering smoky scent, Youngjae turned and twirling the gun in his hand, started walking towards the door. "I still think the world needs love!" Daehyun called out after Youngjae's footsteps. 

"Whatever."

-

Youngjae ran his fingertips along the side of the wall, the rough mortar prickling and lightly tugging at his skin. He sighed and looked up at the sky. He didn't mean to be so harsh but cut down to the bare basics, that was the life they lived. A rough, burnt-edged, life that was clouded with black. Reaching his destination, he opened the door, leading to a darkly lit room. Blue hues shone eerie light over dark surfaces. Perhaps people would see the room as a dodgy, end-of-the-dark-alley kind of place, but strangely enough, it gave a cold comfort. A sad kind of comfort. 

"You done?" A deep, raspy voiced male spoke, sitting opposite a Himchan who was stuck in deep concentration. Youngjae could almost see the purple twirling lines of his calculations circling around the perimeter of the room. Reclining on his chair the dark figure opposite Himchan glanced at the plastic coated cardboard in his hands. His red hair shone a dirty brick colour as he slightly tilted his head. Youngjae saw the dark shapes of a ace and two Queens left, cradled in the palm of his hand. He held the gun and threw it at the figure. Yongguk easily grabbed the gun without bothering to turn around. Youngjae turned to leave, the door quietly muting the sound of cards slapping the table.

-

A started pigeon flew out of the way in a flurry of feathers and dead leaves as a tired Youngjae sauntered across the street. Sidestepping a piece of particularly nasty looking gum, he inhaled the fresh air, a cool, refreshing breeze disturbing his hair. Ruffling his hair, he turned a corner, walked uphill for a bit, crossed the road and with another turn, arrived at a park, the blur of busy people and of gently swaying trees coming into view. The view of the side walk infront of him minimised, and a paved entrance to a park, beckoning his footsteps with a sweet sway of leaves. Elbows propped up on worn jean covered knees, he watched the world go by around him. 

A nearby couple screamed at each other, the air clouded with an unhealthy brooding purple. The shudders of the trees around them shivered through the grass and concrete, zapping Youngjae's senses. He tensed. Turning away to stray his attention from the bickering two, he turned his head to the side, greeted by an unfriendly gust of biting wind. Blinking away dry eyes, he turned to gaze at a little boy a few metres away who stared back at the black, leather clad Youngjae, not afraid in any way or another. "You look like a gangster." Simple words flew out of the child's mouth. What could he reply to that? He simply smiled at the little kid, fishing out his wallet and taking out a 10,000Won note. He handed it to the kid who stared at his hand. "Go. Take it. Go buy you and your sister some icecream." He pointed at the little girl who stood not so far away, eyes burning in a innocent pink curiousity. 

"It's too much, stupid man." 

Shocked, Youngjae widened his eyes. "What?"

He counted off his fingers. "A melona is 900 Won and the Twist bar is 800 Won. If you are going to something, do it right."

"How old are you, kid?"

"I'm 7. But I'm turning 8 soon, my mum said in a week or so." He crossed his arms.

Youngjae shrugged and pushed the money into the small, soft, slightly sweaty palms of the child. "Then it can be your early birthday present."

He didn't blink. "But i want a pet hamster. That's not enough." He pointed at the note clutched in his hands. 

Rolling his eyes, Youngjae took another note out of his wallet. "Here." 

Finally, the little boy broke into a grin and threw his arms around the tall man. "You're the best, Mr. Gangster man." He smiled, sending little sunshiney rays into his heart. He excitedly ran back to his younger sister showing off his new money and occasionally pointing at Youngjae who half-smiled at him, his mouth curling up slightly one end, like a dogeared page. He looked towards the ground, semi smiling at the grey ground, even at the tiny lady bug crawling its slow path up the bench leg. 

With a sudden cry and a rough " MOVE, BRAT," Youngjae's head snapped up. The little boy was crying, a trail of snot starting to make its way down to his mouth. Crying in the shrill way that only little kids manage to cry, he cradled his knee, which had started to leak thin streams of crimson. The man who had iously been arguing with his supposed girlfriend, was striding away with no regret or guilt. Youngjae rolled his eyes and ran up to the man, grabbing his arm, only to be shaken off rudely. The guy whipped around, a seething anger throwing laser glares at Youngjae. "Don't. Touch. Me." 

"Oi, don't you realise you just knocked over those kids? Watch your step, or at least say sorry." Youngjae asked, disbelief in his eyes. " you." He sneered and started to away. 

"OI, YOU RUDE , GO APOLOGISE!" He lost it.

"WHAT IF I DON'T? WHAT DO YOU CARE?"

Youngjae closed his eyes for a moment and exhaled a hot breath of air, trying to deflate the anger that built up inside of him. It was like a balloon of hot gas, expanding more and more, filling him up from the deep depths of him inside. It was getting hard to breathe normally, the anger turning his vision tinged red.

Gritting his teeth,  he managed to spit out, "Just apologise." As an afterthought, he addded, "Please."

"No." Just a last glare, the guy walked off.

-

With a light gust of air, Youngjae's head hit the pillow. He could taste a metallic pang in his mouth. A overwhelming spectrum of a dark metallic grey. A droplet of red. He swallowed the unpleasant sensation, flicking the area of discomfort with his tongue. A mental note drifted to the back of his head, a yellow sticky note with a messy scrawl, "Stop accidently biting lips."  He felt the bed dip underneath him as another weight landed itself on the bed. A familiar infusion of peppermint mints from the store down the road and expensive cologne wafted by him, mingling with his own scent. There was the ting of slight sweat too, Youngjae decided. A pair of arms embraced his figure, tightly holding onto him, leaning in to give him a lingering kiss on his forehead, warm breath singeing his skin in a delight of nerves. Unknowingly, the many muscles around his mouth involuntarily gave in to form a smile on his lips.

Entangling his fingers with Daehyun's slim ones, he turned around and snuggled into the older male. "Daehyun?"

"Mm?"

"You were right."

"Right about what?"

"The world does need more love."