No Air

No Air (Oneshot)

Honey, how have you been doing? Are you happy over there? You better be, because if you’re not, I will be really upset and mad. You don’t want me to be sad right? Minkyung, no one knows how much I missed you since you’ve been gone. They said they knew, but they don’t because they weren’t in my place. They didn’t know you like I do. It’s really hard for me to keep on living without you here with me. But I got to, for you and for whatever you left for me. I hope you still remember this – I’ve said this before and it never changes -  I love you.

**phone rings**

“(Myungsoo’s voice) Hi, this is Kim’s resident. Please leave a messa- (Min Kyung’s voice) Hi, Min Kyung’s not available too. Only leave a message if it’s really urgent. Please.”

“Mr Kim, I think I got something that you need to see. Please call me back once you got this message. Or better yet, just come over to our office. Thank you.”

Myungsoo sigh after he heard it. He doesn’t know how to react to it anymore. It’s been 3 years since his wife, Min Kyung left. Or according to others – disappeared, gone, died. Right after he lost his wife in an accident, he asked for help from an agency to find her.

**3 years ago**

“Can you tell me again WHY are we going to the beach in this kind of weather?” asked Myungsoo while he’s driving.

“Just because.” Min Kyung shrugged her shoulder without even looking at him.

“You see, that’s why I keep asking the same question because you didn’t actually give me an answer. I don’t mind if you want to go to the beach, but don’t you think this isn’t the right timing?” he argued.

“I don’t think I could find a better timing than now. There are not many people there, it’ll be just us. And you know about my dislike of outings right? So, if I ever said I wanna go somewhere, then I want to.”

He sighed. “Fine.”

“Your only minus point, always give in to me even when you know you’re right.” She said.

“What do you want me to do about it? I had enough arguing with other people. I don’t think I could do the same to you. You’re my wife anyways.” He claimed in an indifferent tone.

“Are you upset?” she pinched his cheek.

“I was but I’m driving now. Let me concentrate on the slippery and very icy road first.”

“You should have done that an hour ago instead of babbling to me.” she teased.

“Calm down, Myungsoo. Ignore that voice. She didn’t say anything to you.” Myungsoo ‘self-hypnotized’ himself.

“Myungsoo, can you promise me something?” Min Kyung suddenly asked after several minutes of silence.

“Only if you call me oppa.” He said.

“Myungsoo.” Exclaimed Min Kyung.

“Fine. There’s really no point bickering with you. What is it that you want me to promise about?”

“If, someday, even if it’s not going to happen, but IF it would… can you promise me that you won’t let anybody else as in no living soul in this world to take anything that belong to us from you when I’m not around?”

“Why? Where are you going without me?”

“Anywhere. So, promise?”

“What…? What kind of promise is that? I don’t get it.”

She looked at him with a hopeful face.

“Okay, I would protect everything that’s ours. Though you’re definitely not going anywhere without my permission.”

**Present time**

“Mr Kim, I’m glad you’re here. There’s something I need to show you.” The agent said.

“What is it this time? Another fake hope?” Myungsoo paused.

“I had enough of all this Si yoon-shi. I come here today because I want to terminate our contract. It’s been years and there’s no sign of her still living. Nothing. I hope you understand my situation.” He continued.

“I understand if you want to end this. But before that, you really need to see something. And then, it’s all up to you whether you want to quit searching for your wife or not.”

The agent pulled Myungsoo’s hand and took him into his office. A picture of a woman looking similar to Min Kyung was on the screen. He blinked once and stared hard at the image on the computer.

“Mr Kim, I have her name and address.” Said the agent while handing Myungsoo a piece of paper.

“Her name was not registered as Kim Min Kyung but Choi Min Kyung instead. Was it her name before marriage?” asked Si yoon.

Myungsoo nodded. “Thanks a lot Si yoon-shi.”

In just 40 minutes, Myungsoo was already right in front of the house that was stated in the address given by the agent. He waited in his car, looking anxiously at the house. His instinct is strong saying that Choi Min Kyung is his Min Kyung. Truth is, Choi is the family name on Min Kyung’s late mother’s side. She never used or mentioned that name, but Myungsoo knew it all along.

Suddenly he saw Min Kyung came out of the house, throwing out the rubbish. She looked great. Thinner, but mature. Her smile, her eyes, her voice -  it’s the same.

Just when Min Kyung was about to walk in the house, Myungsoo grabbed her hand.

Without a word, Myungsoo with teary eyes smiled at her. Min Kyung whom at first seems puzzled also smiled.

“How… have you been doing? Are you okay?” Myungsoo asked with shaky voice.

Min Kyung nodded. “Oppa?”

Myungsoo let out a wobbly laugh. It was the first time Min Kyung called her oppa after what it seems forever knowing each other.

“Where have you been?” they both asked simultaneously.

“I was at our house, waiting for you. But you never come home.” Myungsoo uttered.

“Really? But I was told that you didn’t make it in the accident. I was thrown away by the wave and when I woke up, I was already in the hospital. A lady helped me and let me stay here. She’s been looking out for me and helped me to raise our son, Chanhee.” Said Min Kyung with tears endlessly flowing on her cheeks.

“Our son?”

Min Kyung nodded. “Come on in. He’s been asking about his father lately.”

“Min Kyung, I’m sorry that I wasn’t there for you and Chanhee.”

“It’s okay. As long as you’re here now, it’s enough for me.”

“I love you, Kim Min Kyung.”

“Me too, Myungsoo.”

 

                                             **THE END**