...of dogs and sweaters

…of dogs and sweaters; KrisYeol

 

“Chanyeol, for the last time, I am not letting you dress our dog in that wool sweater” Yifan looks exasperated on the couch where he’s lounging on, softly blowing into his tea, willing it back to a more acceptable temperature for his drinking.

Chanyeol whines and it oddly sounds like the whine their dog makes whenever they fail to read into what he wants, Yifan gives him a raise of a brow before sipping his tea, hissing, and blowing into it again.

“Just hear me out, hyung” Chanyeol says before going on about how the colors in the knit will bring out their labbies natural light brown orbs and how he’ll be on the Seoul’s Best Dressed list. Yifan sighs “Are you sure that will even fit Fanyeol’s body?”  Yifan eyes the wool sweater grasped against Chanyeol’s chest with a tight vice-like grip while also taking in its colors –green, blue and grey– Who the would come up with such a combination? –and then eyes their dog again, thinking that the dogs name was embarrassment enough for one life time. He wanted to name him something like Ace or some other stereotypical golden lab name like Max or Buddy and have him learn football or was it basketball…volley ball? Damn, that was one multifaceted dog.
But the happier and more loving counterpart of the relationship got the idea of naming it with both their names, meshed together. He even went as far as to making a list of coupled up names so Yifan could help him weed through the more terrible ones. Wuyeol, Parkfan, Chanchanyi,… Yifan still shuddered at the memory. It was pure mortification, sadly only on Yifan's part (and maybe even their dog as well), whenever they would take Fanyeol to the vet together. Saying their names and then the dogs name and having the secretary –and on particularly bad days, other pet owners and the veterinarian himself- either aww~ at them in various forms of pitch because That is so adorable!!  or flat out laugh at them .

So, no, Fanyeol would not be wearing that God awful wool sweater.

“Hyung”

“Chanyeol. No. We are not”

“Please”

“Think about Fanyeol” Kris tried reasoning out as a good excuse.

“Gege… please?” Chanyeol leaned in front of Kris, eyes wide and lip jutting out into a full blown pout and that had been Game, Set & Match. One last look at Fanyeol, who seemed oddly scared,and Kris’ shoulder sagged in complete defeat.

“Yeol, please stop hanging out with Tao”

“…does that mean?" Chanyeol trailed out, letting the question hang over the air.  Kris groaned.  “Gege?” “Yes! Dress him up! But for the love of God, or whatever you believe in, please stop calling me that and go away” Yifan covered his face with his free hand and reached to put his cup on the coffee table to knead at his forehead, already feeling the beginnings of a headache looming before him, after Chanyeol went with their dog to another part of the house…poor dog.

After a few minutes of barking, from both parties, Chanyeol came back into the living room sporting a full grin. “Doesn’t he look handsome?” Chanyeol is at this point absolutely beaming brigther than the sun itself as he pats Fanyeol’s head, looking oddly proud, and Yifan actually lets out a smile. It doesn’t actually look that bad, he thinks. Fanyeol seems to think otherwise because he lies down on the floor, resting his head down on his front paws letting out a long soft whine, swishing his tail slowly side to side at a depressing pace looking every single bit miserable.

“I’m sorry buddy. Come here” Yifan pats his knee and Fanyeol gets up and sits next to Kris’ leg resting its head on his knee, which Yifan starts petting slowly.

“Be right back” he hears Chanyeol whisper and he gives a noncommittal grunt in acknowledgement.

Kris grabbed Fanyeol’s muzzle and looked him in his eyes “You know, it doesn’t look as tight as I thought it would be. You okay buddy? I’ll try and hide it when he’s not looking. Okay?” he whispered the last part not wanting to risk Chanyeol overhearing them.

Chanyeol came back bounding on his heels “Hyung, get up!”  Yifan has barely the chance to look up at Chanyeol before he’s being brought up to his feet “what—Chanyeol!” he feels himself spin a complete 360 degree circle and feels something soft brushing against his bare arms. When he comes to a complete stop to look at Chanyeol, Yifan starts to ask just what the the younger did, but the question dies at his tongue when he notices what Chanyeol is wearing. It’s a wool sweater, gray mustard yellow and some sort of periwinkle that is oddly similar to what Fanyeol is wearing. A second glance at their dog, who looks like he’s sardonically grinning at him from the way his mouth hangs open, confirms his suspicions.

“Now we look like a family” Kris gets led to a mirror they have hanging up on one of the walls and sees exactly what he meant. Kris was wearing the same ugly tacky retro looking wool sweater Chanyeol and Fanyeol were wearing sans the color, his was white, red and green.

“i..Chanyeol” Kris lets out a sigh to take a control of his bearings before continuing “Where did you get this?”

“Well, I was talking to Kai, Baekhyun, Yixing and Tao about how I wanted—“

“Tao?! He would never wear something as tacky as this god forsaken—“

“Gege, don’t you like it?”

Kris swallowed a groan and their dog let out a happy bark. He’s more than sure Fanyeol is now laughing at him, tail swishing at full speed. And Chanyeol is currently frowning. Again. So he shakes his head in defeat and says it’s his new favorite sweater and that he will wear it whenever he finds it possible.

 

 

 

 

Later on the week, when the three of them are walking around at the park near their apartment, clad in matching sweaters, they meet up with their friends who start laughing, Kris decides to just glare at them and casually flip them the old bird in a failed attempt to get them to stop their teasing jeers. But it doesn't quite works. Groaning in annoyance, Kris turns to Chanyeol, “Did you call them for a show and tell?”  Chanyeol slaps his shoulder and rolls his eyes as if saying No silly and actually proceeds to saying  “ I would’ve made a stop by the vet then” which then turns into an actual idea when Baekhyun says through a laugh that he should. And to Kris' full mortification, Chanyeol says that he actually will because Fanyeol’s check up is in a few weeks anyway.

Yifan lets out a soft cry and walks over to their dog who seems to be busy chasing after a squirrel, and whistles. He leans down and braces himself at the impact of Fanyeol's body slightly colliding against his and grabs his panting face between his hands, leveling their gazes so that they're meeting eye-to-eye “We’re doing this because we love him. Right buddy?” Kris stays quiet for a few seconds as if awaiting Fanyeol’s reply. “However, we only have 26 days to get rid of these sweaters because that’s how long we have until your next check up, okay buddy? So we need to work fast!”

Fanyeol a trail up Yifan’s cheek and he takes it as his agreement “Attaboy” Yifan rises up to his full height and gives Fanyeol and affectionate rub behind his ears.

 “Kris! We’re going to swing by Baekhyun and Tao’s apartment now. Hurry!”

Kris lets out a whine as he looks up to the sky “They're probably going to want to take pictures and never let me live this down, will they?”  Fanyeol next to him lets out a bark. Yifan looks down at his face and sighs while shaking his head “Right…it’s because we love him” 

 

~the end