His Happiness is My Everything

His Happiness is My Everything

The morning sunlight was warm and bright, the sky was blue and clear, the plants were healthy and swayed along with the wind that blew through.

 

It was this day in 1989 that the person who I laugh for, cry for, smile for, and give all my love for came into this world. April 26 is a date that I would never forget even if I no longer see his heavenly smile and hear his angelic voice. I will bury it deep down in my heart, somewhere that I will always remember and smile about. 

 

I stretched my arms up high, towards the ceilings, yawning as I jumped out of bed, opening my closest door as if it was a walk in closest with tons of clothes. When in reality, it was just a small closest with a few cabinets and a bar hanging across with barely any clothes hung on there. It wasn't because I didn't have clothes- I prefer folding them than hanging them up like every other normal girls. "What to wear." I said, thinking of wearing something that would make Daesung's eyes attach to me. "This?" I asked myself, taking a knee length, floral tube dress off of the hanger. Without a second thought, I moved into the bathroom to get ready to meet up with Daesung. 

 

The streets seemed more crowded than usual. "Moon-ah~" Daesung called out when I passed by the van that he was waiting in. Due to the large crowds on the street, it could get dangerous for him to come out so his manager wanted us to meet in his van. "Oh~ anneyeong oppa." I said, waving at him as he opened the door for me to get in. I quickly got on and closed the door behind me. "I thought we were meeting later?" He asked, pulling me onto his seat, my arm touching his chest. 

 

He was smiling wide, like always. My heart started to beat fast, even though we've been dating for years and I would see his smile frequently. "I wanted to see you first before you leave for your schedule." I said, smiling at him as he grabbed a hold of my hand with his. He's definitely the only one that would make me melt for him as if we're newly dating. 

 

"See oppa.. because you missed this?" He asked, leaning in closer towards me. "No." I answered, smiling back at him. "I'm here because I wanted to give you this." I said, pulling a small box out of my bag, handing it to him. In the box was my plans for tonight with him, plans that he does not know about. "Read it when you finish your schedule, alright?" I asked, more like commanding. "Oh~" he said, still looking at the neatly wrapped box, curious of what is in it. "Alrightie, be good and remember to eat before your schedule begins. Hwaiting<3" I said, giving him a hug. He tightened his grip, kissing me continuously on my cheeks. "We'll spend my birthday together this year, right?" He asked, still holding onto me. "Of course." I answered, giving him a peck on the lips when he let go of me. 

 

Even though we've been together for a couple of years, there was not one birthday of his that we didn't spend it with other people instead of just the two of us. No matter what happens, I wish that everything will go according to plan. 

 

I waved at the van as it drove off, smiling at Daesung who turned around to wave back at me. I let out a nervous sigh and headed towards the bakery of a close friend where my cake was stored after spending hours of baking and decorating it the night before. "Anneyeong Dongho~ah." I said, walking through the doors. "Your cake is neatly placed in the box, in the fridge over there." He said, as he continued to check his customer out. The place was more crowded than usual. No surprise though, this place has the best cakes I've ever tasted in my life. "Thanks~ I'll catch up with you later." I said, walking out the side door with the cake in my hand, carefully holding onto it. 

 

After getting the cake, I went straight to the supermarket down the street of my place to buy the necessary ingredients to make him a romantic dinner. Tender, medium done steak with a potato salad as a side dish and wine. The table decorated with two vase of roses and lit up candles scattered around the center of the happy, in a form of a heart. It was rather more romantic for the girl than the guy, but what counts is the effort, right?

 

I looked up at the clock hanging on the wall in the living room to make sure I have enough time to make a trail of love notes from the elevator leading to the front of my apartment. "Well done~" I complimented myself, looking at the trail of post it notes from the front of my door to the elevator around the corner. "He should be here soon." I said, closing the door behind me, smiling wide, heart beating fast at how excited I am to be spending his birthday alone with him this year. 

 

I waited by the door so when he pressed the doorbell, I would have time to calm myself down before opening the door. The seconds turned into minutes and those minutes started to add up. "Aish~ did he not look in the box?" I asked, feeling irritated about him being half an hour late. "Did his schedule get extended?" I asked myself again, walking into the living room, staring up at the clock. "I'll just text him to ask where he is." I said, grabbing my phone from the kitchen counter. Daesung~ah, are you coming?

 

I jumped on top of the kitchen counter, holding the phone in both of my hands, staring at it, waiting for the ding to go off. But it didn't. I waited and waited but it didn't ring no matter how many times I checked. "Did he get into an accident?!" I said, starting to panic, dialing his manager's number. 

 

"Hello oppa~ is Daesung alright?" I asked with a concerned tone. "He's totally fine, he's just with his hyungs and dongsaengs at YG, celebrating his birthday." his manager replied, shushing the people around him to be quiet. He's celebrating even though he was the one who asked if I was going to celebrate with him only? What is this? Some kind of joke?

 

"Please tell him I called to wish him a Happy Birthday." I said in a low voice, hanging right after that. Unknowingly a tear drop rolled down the corner of my eye. "And I thought you meant everything you said." I said, wiping the tears with my hands. I walked over to the diner table, where everything that was done from my heart was displayed, and I started to clean up the table. I wrapped the steak and put it in the fridge, putting the potato salad into a container, putting it right next to the steak. 

 

I continued to wipe off the tears as they came, sniffing along the way. How pathetic am I? "Aiish~" I said, accidentally burning my finger when I tried to put out the fire. "Even you cause me pain." I said, feeling a bitter feeling in my heart. 

 

I was on my way to my bedroom, wanting to lay on bed and cry my eyes out, when the door bell rung. I didn't bother to check who it was and opened the door. It was Kang Daesung. Having an apologetic smile on his face, holding the box that I gave him earlier in his hands. He stopped the door from closing when I scoffed and let go of the door, walking into my bedroom. He followed me without saying a word. I crawled into bed with tears still in my eyes, cuddling with the teddy bear that he gave me for Valentine's Day. 

 

"Are you crying?" He asked as he slowly crawled onto bed, next to me. "Why do you care?" I asked, wrapping my arms tighter around the teddy bear. "Aiigo, look at you. You're such a little baby, like this." He said, trying to pull the teddy bear away from me. "Go away. I hate you." I said, pushing him strongly on the chest, taking my teddy bear back. 

 

"Because I was over at my hyungs, noonas and dongsaengs?" He asked, knowing that it was not that reason that I'm crying about. "Or is it because you feel that I lied about wanting to spend my birthday alone with you this year?" He asked, turning my body towards him so that he could see my eyes. I glared at him as I pushed myself up. "You lied." I said in a strong, steady voice. 

 

"What do you mean?! I was trying to please both sides by kindly accepting their happy birthday wishes towards me and coming to you for the rest of my day." He said, wiping the left over tear in the corner of my eye. "You can say whatever now~" I said, pushing him, attempting to push him off the bed. 

 

"YA! CHOI MOONIE!" He shouted, pulling me into his arms, pinning me onto the bed. He was breathing heavily, looking into my eyes. My heart started to beat faster, knowing what is going to happen next. "What can I say to make you stop those tears and go back to being my lovely child-like girlfriend?" He asked, still on top of me. "You can get off of me first." I said, feeling his heavy weight on top of me. 

 

Without a warning, he leaned in and took my mouth with his. "Oppa~" I unexpectedly moaned out when he pulled away for a second. He dropped himself onto the bed, pulling me on top of him. We looked into each other's eyes for a good moment before he pulled me down and wrapped his arms around me tightly. 

 

"I mean everything that I said to you earlier." He whispered in my ear as he kissed me lightly on the top of my head. "So don't cry over useless things like this again. It's my birthday after all. Do I get one wish from you?" He asked, my long, silky hair. "What is it?" I said in a quiet voice, forgetting that I was ever upset at him. "Smile for me." He said, pushing my head up so he could get a full vision. "Happy Birthday, Kang Daesung." I said with a smile from the bottom of my heart. "Your happiness is my everything, also." He said, giving me a kiss on the forehead. "Saranghaeyo, oppa~"