01

The City of Gold

 

 

A fairly young man stood on his balcony, admiring his kingdom. He smiled to himself. It was rare for such a large kingdom to live so peacefully; this young king was truly grateful. But the smile that was adorning the man's face was soon replaced by a scowl.

Something was off. The birds weren't chirping as much as usual. The winds weren't calm or warm; they were just the opposite. Something was amiss. My people will not take kindly to these changes, the king thought.

 

In lands far away, a young man stood. He was getting ready for his daily routine of watering the crops and tending to his livestock. The man sighed. He didn't particularly like living on a farm just on the outskirts of the capital, especially after getting a taste of city life when he was able to afford a semester at university.

“Lu Han!” the young man's father called. “The sun is already up and getting higher as we speak! If you don't hurry it up, it'll be nightfall before you know it!”

“I’m coming!” Lu Han replied, walking down the stairs towards the foyer.

“Get a move on, boy!” Lu Han's father ushered him outside.

Lu Han sighed once again. He could feel that today was going to be a long one. Why did I have to be born into a poor farm family?

Thankfully Lu Han's work day didn't last as long as he had originally thought.

 

Lu Han made his way back home slowly, basking in the afternoon sun. Mid to late afternoon was Lu Han’s favorite time of day. It was when the sun was at its highest, the warmest part of the day. Lu Han wasn’t fond of the cold, whether it’s the weather, drinks, food; the list went on.

Lu Han was greeted with the smell of stew as he walked through the front door. He could hear his mother humming some tune while cooking. He could hear his father’s radio in the den, going off about how the weather would be getting colder and the chance of rain was fairly high from tomorrow onwards. Same old stuff, different day, Lu Han thought.  Lu Han then went to the bathroom to wash up before supper.

After bathing and eating Lu Han was off to bed so he could repeat the day’s events all over again.

 

The following day was just like the previous day, except that Lu Han’s father had a helper for him to work with today. Lu Han was head over heels happy; he got his work done in half the time! Luhan thanked the helper by tipping him with one whole silver piece.

With his free time, Lu Han listened to his father’s radio. It was the only source where he could get of happenings, other than those of the farm. Lu Han loved hearing about what was going on in the city; it was a small escape from his farm life. Lu Han listened to the man and women’s voices speak about the weather for the week. It wasn’t that hard to predict the upcoming weather from the past couple days and today’s weather but it was nice to hear different voices.

The next segment of the radio show was certainly interesting. Men from a distant land, a place that Lu Han could have sworn he heard of somewheres, had come to port down at the harbor. The men weren’t all too different looking, like those who were from the west; but they certainly didn’t speak Lu Han’s native tongue. These foreigners were deemed friendly and were currently down at city hall. The mayor was trying to find someone who could speak their language, or at the very least, partially understand them.

This piqued Lu Han’s interest immensely. Ever since going to the city, Lu Han had a taste for travel, seeing new things, meeting new people. He wanted to be like the people he heard about on the radio, the adventurers, the discoverers, the explorers. He wanted to have his name go down in history in the best of ways; he wanted to become a hero of his time, who would be remembered for generations to come, to be written in the history books at universities. This was Lu Han’s dream, and he was determined to make it come true, somehow.

 

For the past week, Lu Han did all his chores like any other week. But that’s what it looked like to his parents. What Lu Han was really doing, was selling chicken eggs and milk to various townspeople without his father’s knowledge. He knew this could potentially harm his father’s farming business, with less produce to sell and all, but Lu Han needed the money if he was going to make his dreams a reality. Lu Han didn’t let himself feel guilty though, otherwise he’d come clean to his father and everything he’s done would have been for nothing.

Lu Han’s plan wasn’t just to sell his father’s produce and keep the money for himself. No, he planned to hitch a ride into the main city; probably by sneaking onto a caravan so he could save the few copper coins it took to get there. From there, Lu Han wasn’t entirely sure what he would do; something along the lines of buying a seat on a ship, and going wherever the ship takes him. He would stow away on a ship but that would be far too dangerous to his health, especially if he would be on the ship for an indefinite amount of time. That could be fatal.

 

The time was nearing for Lu Han to run away from home, so to speak. Lu Han had plenty saved, more than he had originally thought a month ago. Lu Han decided he would “disappear,” on the night of the lunar eclipse, since his town would be outside celebrating in the streets. It was always so busy and crowded each year that it would be easy for him to slip away into the night, either by paying someone or by other means.

He had two days to prepare before the lunar eclipse. He could do this.

 

 


A/N: is it any good orz i feel like this isn't going to be all too great since there's no concrete plan but this is an experiment of sorts for myself. i hope you enjoyed~