The Little Mermaid (oneshot)

The Little Mermaid (oneshot)

 

Dear my prince, do you ever wonder a legendary stories about the little mermaid. Long ago, in an old fairy tale, the mermaid saves a man who is the prince of that country. During the time she spends with the prince she realized that she gradually fell in love with the man. She also conscious that she needs to make the prince fall for her, which was the exchange she has to sacrifices for the legs but not every stories have their happy ending. In the end, the mermaid turned into sea foam and the man she loved married another woman. The mermaid’s family sang and prayed to the moon every night that if she ever to be reborn that she may be a child of land and when the times comes, she may be united with the man she loved.

**********************************************************************************  

 Almost every night Wooyoung will spend time by enjoying the sound of the sea and the island’s beauty. That night was no different, the fragrance of the island breeze feels so calm and cool. It’s really sending a chill to Wooyoung’s body but since he used to it Wooyoung just ignore the coldness the night give him.

Sitting on the big rock near the sea Wooyoung just stare at the sea expressionless. The sound of the sea really reminds Wooyoung to a memory. “Heh.. Time really knows how to slips through like flowing water, no?” muttered Wooyoung. Many years have passed since the last time he saw that one person. In his memory he made a promise with the other person. At that moment Wooyoung cry so hard for not letting the other go. “Jang Wooyoung there is no need for the cry, I promise to take you with me when the time comes,” Wooyoung light up a little hearing those words.

“Promise?” asked Wooyoung since he already stops crying. “Here a pinky promise. You know a pinky is small but the secrets it holds are huge my baby woo.” whisper that person. That guy left a kiss on Wooyoung’s forehead as a gift. The hotness from the lips still carved in his memory.  Wooyoung just let out a sigh cause he really have forgotten the name and Wooyoung can even barely recall the face of that person.  “The only things reflected in my eyes are the blue sky, the sea, your hazel eyes and your smiling face,” by that thought Wooyoung realized that all this time loneliness was he only friend. Not long after that something was catching Wooyoung’s attention. He diverted his eyes to the end of the shore and now the focus was on a lifeless body stranded there.

**********************************************************************************

“Urghhh..  Hurts,” Nichkhun rubbed his head to find the source of the pain. He really trying to get up from the bed but his whole body wouldn’t listen to him and one thing for sure he found out that he feel very mysterious with every single thing he saw right now. “Sorry, but I wouldn’t not try to get up if I were you.” Nichkhun heard a chuckle and realized that the voice was coming from the kitchen.  “Who are you and where the hell is this place?” Wooyoung could see desperation reflected from those stranger’s eyes.

“Now, now. No need to be rude. You’re in my house in this remote island.”The voice seems closer and Nichkhun try to seek for the owner of the voice before he show himself. “... and my name is Jang Wooyoung. Can I know your name sir?”  To Nichkhun’s surprised the person who was talking have this really beautiful face. His black hair really looks so smooth and suits the face so well. His face is composed with a sharp featured covered by a milky skin. His fragile body look so small just like a girl and yet he has the most captivating smile that Nichkhun ever see. Right now Nichkhun could swear to himself that he look exactly like a high school girl having her first crush.

“ Ahh.. I must be imagining things.” Now the person who just introduced himself as Jang Wooyoung already make himself comfortable beside Nichkhun with a bowl of soup and waiting for the answer that haven’t being given. “I guess the soup was for me,” thought Nichkhun. “Yes, I’m waitin’ here..” Nichkhun’s eyes just meet with Wooyoung and Nickhun really wonder why his heart beating so loudly. “ I hope he doesn’t heard it.” “Nichkhun.. My name is Nickhun.” There were satisfactions from Wooyoung’s face. “I guess I’ll call you Khun from now on but what are you doin’ in this small island Khun?” asked Wooyoung. Nichkhun try his best to remember the main purposes why he coming to some unknown island but he can’t find the answer. He feels like he has nothing stored in his memory.

“I..I’am sorry but I can’t recall anythings except for my name.” Wooyoung really try to calm Nichkhun who look somewhat lost. “No worry Khun, I am here don’t I. Just stay as long as you want. I live by myself anyways and finally I got myself a company to play.” At first Nichkhun hesitate to accept the offer but he cannot reject the offer when Wooyoung looks extremely happy and without he aware the smile was formed on his face. “.... ahhh~!! and starting tomorrow I’ll take you to a doctor and we should find anything related to you, maybe some clue, your ID or sumthin’,” say Wooyoung brightly. Many days passed since that day.

The relationship becomes utterly close between Nichkhun and Wooyoung. Nichkhun feels very comfortable when he stay close around Wooyoung. “Hey Wooyoung,”  Nichkhun called out for Wooyoung who find himself relaxing under Nichkhun’s arm. “Hmm..” Wooyoung just snuggle with Nichkhun even more. He rubbed his eyes and looking so daze while stare at Nichkhun. “ I love you, Jang Wooyoung.”

 Wooyoung really shocked by the word that came out from Nickhun’s mouth. Even though Wooyoung already heard that word so many times but he can bring himself to accept it. He just diverts his gaze to a corner of the house. Nichkhun kiss Wooyoung’s neck. There is silence built between them. “You know I never play lie to you,”Nichkhun whisper that word to Wooyoung’s ear. Wooyoung know that fact very clear but he also knows that everything and the feeling just impermanent.

“Out of all the lies you told me, 'I love you' was my favourite but  I just can’t find the words to say or maybe  I just don’t have the strength to say it directly your face cause I know once you regain your memory you will forget bout’ me, dont’ you, Khun?”thought Wooyoung.  Wooyoung caress Nichkhun’s face tenderly.  “Make me immortal with a kiss, make love to me.” That night they make love with each other and Nichkhun sleeps soundly right after. Wooyoung chuckle to himself ‘You look like a sleeping angel, dear Khun’ and he continue to stare at the angelic face. Suddenly the reality hit and without conscious wet tears ran down his face. Wooyoung just cry so hard cause he knows for Nichkhun to stay by himself is already more than he should deserve. “I’ve wasted all my tears and wasted all those lonely, lonely years but I’ll keep holding on... holding onto my love for you.” The next morning Nichkhun wakes up with this one refreshing feeling.

But somehow he lost Wooyoung. “Where are you hiding so early in the morning, Woo?” Nichkhun breathe heavily since he had to run until to the top of the cliff to find Wooyoung just to found his love one resting and relaxing in the house. “Go for a mornin’ walk...” “Really and I couldn’t...” before Nichkhun could finish his words Wooyoung already cut the speech. “ I got sumthin’ to show you khun” Wooyoung hold tight  Khun’s hand and lead him to one of the cabinet in the house. On the cabinet, there are a lot of stuff that belong to him. “My stuff..” thought Khun.  

“ I think you deserve the true,” Nichkhun don’t get the meaning of Wooyoung’s words until his saw the picture of his with Wooyoung in it. The picture had being taken when they’re young. “That’ll explain everything,” To Khun’s surprised he regain his memory slowly bit by bit when he saw the picture and everything become more clear. He is known as Nichkhun Buck Horvejkul live in good family and being engage with a beautiful ladies names Victoria. In the past he comes to the island because of his father job and promise to a certain someone. At the present his comes back is to find his lost childhood friend and bring him back with him which he knows too well by now.  

“Jang Wooyoung is you right? The same person in this photo. Doesn’t this mean that you know me all this time?” Ask Nickhun impatiently. “True, its me.” “Despite knowing the true, you still sleep with me? You’re my friend and I engaged to someone yet you sleep with me. How unbelievable. No wonder you never answer me whenever I asked if you ever love me.” Wooyoung know the times have come when he should telling the truth and he also know that he’ll be the one who hurt the most by Nichkhun’s word. “I’m sorry..” The tears built up in Wooyoung’s eyes.

“Sorry is not good enough...” Nichkhun is ready to burst out the anger but Wooyoung stop him. “I’m sorry, I really am. The truth is in the past; your father is someone who interested in mystique creatures. When you’re five he was rearrange to married your mother. At that time he was travelled to this island to find mystery creatures cause this place is popular with a story about mermaid. When he meets my mother, he fell in love at first sight. Mother is extremely beautiful and she’s the witch of this island. People say that our ancestors were mermaid, that she received a pair of legs to walk on earth and that she fell in human man. Even when your father knows about our family’s history, he still decided to take mother as his wife.

Unfortunately, your father has to fly back to his country since there is urgent matter to be solved and promise to come back.” Nichkhun is rather shocked to hearing untold stories bout the past. He never expects anything like this. “Father really comes back but he bring along his new family. Mother really hurts you know, but both of them understand that even they love each other, they don’t belongs together since they come from two different world. Mother also knows that father’ll never coming back. She die not long after your visit. That the time when I see you for the first time. For all this years I can survive because I know you’ll coming back for me as promise. I am lonely you know?” Wooyoung can’t hold back his tears anymore. Its much more better to let it out.

“Father... Doesn’t that means... I’m really confused right now... Jang Wooyoung, you telling me that you’re my brother? My stepbrother?” Wooyoung just nodded his head. Nichkhun feels so speechless right know, he can’t even say a word. He can’t afford himself to call Wooyoung a brother or even looks at him. One surprised after another is really made Nichkhun crazy. “You are what I never knew I always wanted Nichkhun, I know that eyes since I found you that day cause I being longing to that hazel eyes since long ago, I love you.”Nichkhun just shook his head. “Sorry Wooyoung, you’re my brother. I already engaged and we can’t do this. I cannot take you back with me. Sorry,” with those last words Nichkhun just vanished from Wooyoung’s life.  Nichkhun already takes all his things and he just about to departure from the island. In his thought, he regret from coming to the island, he even regret to fall in love with his own brother.

******************************************************************************

Dear my prince, I guess we really are not meant to be. Maybe my love stories will just be like the one in our tale. Mermaid really can’t be with the human. The worst thing is holding on to someone who doesn’t want to be held on to.You know, sometimes I wish I were a little kid again, skinned knees are easier to fix than broken hearts. I want you to believe that this isn't your fault and I want you to know that it was all me.

Nothing had the chance to be good, nothing ever could but I'll keep holding on and Im here, still and always love you forever .. I guess I will stares across the horizon forever and ever and will turns to sea foam when the time comes. Wooyoung just stand on the rock near the sea and stares at ship. “Its already far, goodbye Khun.”But suddenly someone hug Wooyoung tightly from the back. Wooyoung could feel a warm breath from the other person. “Jang Wooyoung, I love you,” whispered Nichkhun. Wooyoung turn around and cry all his might in his arm. “Im sorry but I am not some ungrateful ed up prince. It just that I'm not ready to accept my flaws because I know you love me regardless of them and that scares me.”Wooyoung can’t just stop crying.

“Hey, stop crying.” “I don’t wanna too, you’re the bad guys.”Wooyoung just cry even harder. This situation really brings back a memory. Nichkhun kiss Wooyoung on his forehead and it lead to his mouth. They stares each other in a hug and laughing. “Don’t say you love me unless you really mean it, because I might do something crazy like believe it.” muttered Wooyoung. “Well you should be, and I’ll say as many times as you want my cute lover,” chuckle Nichkhun. “It’s time to go home.”

******************************************************************************

Dear my prince, The mermaid’s prayer had turned into a miracle of love. I and you will always be together holding each other’s hand. It was probably a very happy ending.