Chapter 1

Found You

 

*Myungsoo's POV

 

A snowflake landed on my cheek as I walked in the streets. I looked up the sky and saw snow falling. Ah, the first snow of the year. I fished out my camera from my bag and took a photo of the snow falling. A small group of children ran around the place then gathered up, probably planning a snowball fight. I entered my favorite cafe and a waitress greeted me with a smile, I smiled back. The place is small but it's warm and relaxing. I kept on coming back here simply because of the coffee they serve and this cafe's place. It is situated beside one of Seoul's main roads, just perfect for watching people. I have this hobby of watching people, some may find it strange but it's normal for me. People rushing to their work, kids playing in the street, couples walking hand-in-hand, I like watching those scenes.

 

I ordered one americano then I sat on my usual seat, beside the glass window. I looked outside and a girl caught my attention. She's sitting on a bench across this cafe. She's wearing a blue dress, which I think is too thin for the weather, and a pair of white heels. To say she's beautiful is an understatement; she’s a goddess.

 

Her eyes roamed around the place, she must  be waiting for someone. Suddenly, her eyes focused on a certain place. I followed her gaze and I saw a guy enveloping a girl in his embrace. I looked back at the girl then the smile on her face turned into a straight line. So, she was waiting for that guy who happens to be hugging another girl?

 

The moment a frown appeared on her beautiful face, it snowed harder. I don't know what got in me, I immediately ran out the cafe and went straight to the girl. I have a feeling that she won't move an inch because of what she just saw. I took off my jacket and put it over her head. She turned her head towards me; the sad look on her face is now gone and replaced by a confused look. For a few seconds, I forgot how to think clearly. She looks really beautiful from a distance but seeing her face this close is another thing. She is too beautiful for words.

 

"Goddess." I blurted out and I mentally cursed myself. Nice move to embarrass yourself, Myungsoo.

 

The girl suddenly stood up, the expression on her face turned into shock and anger. I thought about what I said, I'm sure I didn't say anything offensive. Why is she mad?

 

"How did you know that?" Her eyebrows furrowed. She stepped closer to me, her face is now just a few inches away from mine.

 

I gulped nervously at the closeness of our face. I stepped backwards then she stepped closer again. "I-I- how did- how did I know what?" Instead of answering me, she just glared at me. "That you're a goddess? Well, your face says it all." And for the second time, I mentally cursed myself. Why do I keep on embarrassing myself in front of this beautiful girl?

 

"Bring me to your place now, mortal." She ordered and I shivered. Not because of the coldness of the weather but because of fear. I didn't argue with her. It seems like my body has a mind of its own, I led her to my place. She gave me back my jacket but I insisted that she should use it. The girl said that she doesn't need my jacket and the weather doesn’t affect her one bit.

 

When we reached my apartment, she didn't hesitate and made herself comfortable inside. I felt like an intruder. I sat on the couch and she just stood in front of me while looking around my place. She crossed her arms over her chest before turning her head towards me.

 

"Now, explain." She said, no, she commanded. I don't know what to say. What should I explain? I can't think straight because she is just too intimidating. "Didn't you hear me? Speak up!"

 

"I-I, what exactly do I need to explain?" I am actually lost right now. What did I do?

 

"How did you know that I'm a goddess? Who told you that?!"

 

I was speechless. Did she mean that she's a real goddess? "You're a goddess? You mean a real goddess? From Mt. Olympus?" No, no. That's impossible. It can't be.

 

"You can't fool me! Now, tell me how you knew I'm a goddess."

 

This is not making any sense. "I am sorry, miss. About what I said earlier, it's more like complimenting your beauty. I didn't know that you're a real goddess, if that's possible, but believe me I don't know anything about you being a goddess."

 

She didn't answer. She just stared at me, like she's thinking if she'll believe me or not. "I see. You're telling the truth." She paced back and forth. I think she's deciding whether to kill me or not.

 

"But wait, are you a real goddess?" I know I sounded stupid. She might suddenly laugh and tell me it was all for a prank show.

 

"I speak no lie. I am Chione, goddess of snow." The moment she said her name, shivers ran up to my spine. It suddenly got colder in my apartment.

 

"You- you're the reason why it snowed harder earlier!"

 

She rolled her eyes. “Of course. Who else would be the reason?”

 

“No.” I closed my eyes. There’s no way that this is possible. “This is just a prank. You are not real. Gods and Goddesses are not real.” It got so much colder in my place and I heard a rumble of thunder. I opened my eyes and see the girl in front of me surrounded by sharp ice. I gasped. How? How did she do it?

 

“You dare doubt our existence?!” She looks so mad and I have a feeling that she’ll kill me any minute.

 

I immediately kneeled in front of her and bowed my head. “No! No! I believe you! I believe in Gods and Goddesses!” Actually, I don’t but dying is not on my priority list righ now.

 

“You are lying. You can’t fool me!”  

 

“Please forgive me. I know that I’ve insulted you and the other gods but you can’t blame me. You can’t expect me to believe imediately that Greek Gods do really exist.” If the Gods do exist, please don’t let this goddess in front of me kill me!

 

There was no movement and it became a little bit warmer. I looked at the goddess. The ice around her is now gone and she looked calm. “Stand up.” I got on my knees and stood up. She stepped closer to me and looked straight into my eyes. "You're right. I shouldn't have thought that you'll believe me right away. But remember that I am telling the truth, I am the goddess of snow." Her voice is really elegant and smooth. It's almost imposssible not to believe her.

 

"It may take time before I get used to that fact." She sat on the couch and crossed her legs. I sat beside her but still keeping a distance between us. I shifted my position so I am now facing her. "If you are a goddess, shouldn't you be in Mt. Olympus? Why are you here?"

 

For a moment, I saw hatred in her eyes. She faced me and flashed her dazzling smile. I forgot how to breathe. "Since you know about me, I'll be staying here from now on."

 

"Here?!" I asked, almost yelling at her. Good thing I controlled my voice.

 

"Yes. You have problem with that, mortal?" She asked as she raised her eyebrows.

 

I want to say yes but I know better than to make me her mad. "No. It's fine. But can you please stop calling me mortal? If you really want to stay here then don't call people "mortal"."

 

She thought for a minute then nodded. "You have a point there. That would be odd. What should I call you then?"

 

"Myungsoo. Call me Myungsoo."

 

"Myungsoo? Hmmm. I need a new name. A name that will match yours."

 

"Yes. Your name obviously doesn't fit here."

 

She shot me a deadly glare. "I will let that pass since you are right. Think of a name for me."

 

"Name? Hmmm. How about Naeun?" I suggested.

 

"Naeun? Beauty and peace?" She smiled brightly.

 

"But the latter doesn't actually suit you." I mumbled.

 

She slapped my arm. "I heard that! Keep your comments to yourself. I don't need those." She stuck her tounge out. I feel like my eyes are fooling me, the fierce goddess earlier has turned into a cute goddess. "Okay. Starting from now on I will be Naeun."