Prologue: Naive

Detonate

Haejun sees and she yearns for it.

Her six-year-old self clutches the teddy bear her papa gave to her yesterday. Her birthday. She blinked, eyes still focused on the outside world. The bubble, it's the only thing that separated her from the outside.

The Nukeland.

Curiosity got the best of her and she slowly shifted to the invisible door. She knew it existed, grandpa told her so. But grandpa died yesterday too, on her birthday. The petite girl standing there didn't know he died. She only knew that he disappeared.

He told her that he had gone out from the bubble.

Pouting, Haejun sat on the ground. The clear floor didn't do anything to her birthday dress she wore. Her mama forced her to wear it. She threw a tantrum, but of course, mama and papa always win. She grumpily wore it and skipped off to the garden.

Which was not exactly a garden anyway.

But okay, she knew a little bit about why is it not a garden. Grandpa showed her a few pictures of his grandpa's garden. It was green, it was dreamy-like. This garden didn't have anything remotely similar to that - it was empty with only cold tiles as the ground. In grandpa's picture, it was like the Nukeland on the other side. Brown. Fresh brown.

Stubborn Haejun frowned again.

Suddenly, a screeching sound resounded in the air. She shrieked, covering , eyes widened. The teddy bear fell limply onto the tiles, and she rose up to her little feet, backing away from the source of the sound.

Claw marks.

She shrieked again, her tiny fingers pointing at the marks on the bubble.

She saw him.

Her eyes widened, and she ran to the hidden opening, pushing it will all her might. The glass opened, and he was looking at her, with cat-like eyes and hunched shoulders. He was deformed, claws on where his finger was and scales on his feet - but for her, he was beautiful.

And he was scared.

An unidentifiable sound filled the air and the boy started to run. Haejun, dazed, let her teddy bear fall again and ran for him.

"Wait!" her six year old self cried out. "Wait!"

The air seemed to choke her breathing, but she didn't mind, this was a once-in-a-lifetime chance.

He looked back at her, eyes shifting into something else. She saw him gulp, but there's no reason to be afraid of her, right? Right -

"KANG HAEJUN!" a voice shrieked. "HAEJUN!"

She looked back, eyes widening. "M-mama?" she croaked, alternatively looking to her parents and him. "P-papa?"

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN THE NUKELAND?!" her mother screeched. "YOU CAN BE CONTAMINATED!"

Haejun, grandpa was contaminated, that's why he- he died-

Horror surged through her body as someone lifted her up. She screamed, thrashed, but it was only her papa, clutching her in his strong arms and he runs back hurriedly to the bubble and closed the barrier.

Seal this door! his father screamed to someone. We do not want anyone to die again, right?!

Oh, my dear, someone said. Why did you go out?

But little Haejun only tangled her fingers on her father's suit, frowning, focusing on the black dot fading away.

It was him.

gaped open, and she naively thought, oh, how it must be wonderful to be free outside!

She didn't knew, her teddy bear was slowly burning in acid, as the air around it dissipated it into nothingness.